It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electric watches in Sicily (Italy) running all 20 minutes faster

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Da oltre una settimana gli orologi elettrici di Catania, ma anche di altre città della Sicilia, sembrano letteralmente impazziti. Improvvisamente cominciano a correre riuscendo ad andare avanti anche di 15/20 minuti al giorno. Un fenomeno inspiegabile che ha acceso la curiosità di due periti informatici della St Microelectronics, la multinazionale dei semiconduttori con sede a Catania.

Translation: "Since more than a week ago, electric watches and clocks in the city of Catania, but in other Sicilian cities too, seem to have become crazy. The clocks are faster, up to 15/20 minutes/day. A phenomenon hard to be explained that made two ICT experts of St Microelectronics (multinational in the semi-conductors sector) very curious"

The articles continues saying that the same problem is also with microwaves ovens and alarm clocks. Same as with the Caronia mistery (Above Top Secret) magnetic fields and peaks in the electrical grid are being blamed for such a mistery.

The phenomemon seems concentrated in the Catania's area, not far from the Etna volcano.

Here is the article (in Italian): Corriere della Sera

Strange times we are living...any thoughts?

Peace,

Hundroid

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Etna being targeted by HAARP, looks for lights in the sky !

haha jokes

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
wowthat is stange. do electronic watches run on pulsating crystals. Are we about to find out the pulse can change. Just like we recently found out radioactive decay rate can also change...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
wow that is really strange, could it have anything to do with solar flares? but then why would it just be catania and if it has something to do with mt etna then has this happened before near other volcanoes?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

what time is it?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

11:33 gmt

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Just like we recently found out radioactive decay rate can also change

I have been also thinking about that possibility, but are watches made by radioactive components too? Another part of the articles tells about one of the two ICT experts going to a bank for an appointment, but the bank employee tells him there is some time to wait for because there is something wrong with their system. Then the expert asks the man "are you also having troubles with clocks and time?" and he replies "How the f... do you know?? We are going nuts here"

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
that's been pretty much happening to any clock I have seen lately that isn't sync'd up with internet updates..... my alarm clock and microwave have been slowly getting further ahead of my phone and PC and has been tripping me out...

I wonder if this is the reason or just coincidence....

I'm in NSW Australia....

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hundroid

someone in Sicily needs to stream their clock for 30hrs online...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Here in the Netherlands nothing wrong with clocks. May I suggest you to check this out in a scientific way (a stupid digital camera is probably enough) and come back here with proof?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Contact Silo13, he/she lives on the foot of the Etna, I believe.

Peace

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Contact Silo13, he/she lives on the foot of the Etna, I believe. Peace

I just did it, thank you.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
this isn't just happening in that region.
I had a similar situation with my wrist
watch on 2 occasions in the past year.

First of all, my watch is a Timex digital
Ironman Triathlon model. I bought it from
wally world about 2 yrs ago.

On 2 occasions this past year, this watch
has skipped forward. Once was 20 mins,
the other was 22 mins. On both occasions,
the date on the watch was moved up by one
day. Meaning that if it was actually
3/1/11, then it would jump to 3/2/11.
Weirdest thing I ever saw. I couldn't
explain it so I'm glad to know I am
not alone with the time crisis.
great find
S&F

if they find an answer, please let me know

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
These clocks take their time base from the (usually very precise) 50Hz frequency of the European power grid. Usually the grid is synchronized all across Europe and exactly 50Hz are guaranteed everywhere but when some small part of the power grid gets decoupled from the rest of the grid and is running freely for a while then the frequency in this part of the grid might drift a little bit until it is recoupled again with the rest.

There is no mystery here, this is just a technical failure in the power grid. No mystery "impulses" in the grid, this is pure bull#. Just a normal frequency drift as it happens from time to time, every electrical engineer can explain this. All one needs to know is how the grid woks and how these clocks work. Both are neither secret nor mysteries.

Clocks that base their time on crystal oscillators (wrist watches or other kinds of battery driven or mechanical watches that are not connected to the grid) are not affected.

edit on 9-6-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof7
Clocks that base their time on crystal oscillators (wrist watches or other kinds of battery driven or mechanical watches that are not connected to the grid) are not affected.

ummm, maybe u didn't read my post

my wrist watch is not connected to
any grid bro.

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
ummm, maybe u didn't read my post

my wrist watch is not connected to
any grid bro.

I was referring to the event in Italy, the topic of this thread, not to your post about your broken wrist watch.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

On 2 occasions this past year, this watch
has skipped forward. Once was 20 mins,
the other was 22 mins. On both occasions,
the date on the watch was moved up by one
day. Meaning that if it was actually
3/1/11, then it would jump to 3/2/11.
Weirdest thing I ever saw. I couldn't
explain it so I'm glad to know I am
not alone with the time crisis.
2 times in the past year, why is that significant unless anyone else had time problems around the same time? What seems significant here, is that large areas are being affected by this phenomena at the same time...and I find it hard to believe to be honest. I wont be surprised if this is a hoax, which no one has bothered to question yet. But if it is really happening, it's something very weird and highly significant.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by prof7

Your explanation seems legit and it's being confirmed by another article on the news "La Repubblica"

Se la frequenza aumenta improvvisamente, conseguentemente scattano in anticipo anche i secondi scanditi dall'orologio. Ma allora - ribatte qualcuno - com'è possibile che, nello stesso apparecchio governato da due diversi circuiti elettronici, il display digitale "corra" e l'orario fornito dal piccolo proiettore luminoso (di quelli che si puntano sul tetto) sia esatto? Una cosa sembra certa. Sul banco degli imputati, per indizi che portano all'unico, comune denominatore, c'è comunque la rete elettrica siciliana. E c'è chi ricorda che, dalla metà di maggio, sono in corso lavori di manutenzione sul cavo sottomarino che per l'erogazione energetica "aggancia" la Sicilia al resto del Paese. Lavori che dovrebbero concludersi a giorni riportando così anche gli orologi siciliani alla medesima, monotona, perfetta, scansione universale del tempo.

La Repubblica

Translation: "if the frequency jumps all of a sudden, also the seconds given by the clock will do the same. But then - somebody replies - how is it possible that, in the same device with two electrical circuits, the digital display is fast while the time beamed by the small light projector on the roof is right? One thing seems certain, there is a common element in this story and it's the sicilian electrical grid, whose submarine cable (from continental Italy to Sicily) is since half May under maintenance. Works will be completed in few days and also sicilian clocks should go back to normal behaviour"

Well let's wait for few more days, if the clocks will keep on running fast than the electrical grid is no responsible.

edit on 9-6-2011 by Hundroid because: Forgot the link

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

But if it is really happening, it's something very weird and highly significant.

No, its normal. Read my post above, I just explained it. All these clocks base their time on the same timebase and if the timebase is drifting then they are all wrong the same amount of time.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Did many people in your area who were wearing digital wrist watches
experience the same problem ?
If not, perhaps it was just a fault with your watch.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join