It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers: Make U.S. souvenirs in U.S.A.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I just saw this. I did a search and found no matches.

(CBS News)
The latest jobs report from the Labor Department has produced a feeling of frustration among the 14 million Americans looking for work. One factor contributing to the discouraging news is the declining number of manufacturing jobs, many of which have gone overseas.

On "The Early Show," CBS News Correspondent Michelle Miller shared the story of one small business owner who saw a sharp decline in profits when one very well-known American tourist spot turned to overseas manufacturers to stock its store shelves.

Miller noted tourists come from all over the world to visit U.S. museums, national parks and zoos. But finding an American-made souvenir to take home with them is proving to be a difficult task. Lawmakers are now fighting to get more American-made products back in souvenir shops, and for small business owners and manufacturers alike, that's very welcome news.

Read more: www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/08/earlyshow/living/mo ney/main20070028.shtml#ixzz1OlI8PCFm

All I can say is, it is about time. There should be more regulations to promote made in America, for America. I do not necessarily believe in more regulation, but something has to change. Maybe this is a small start.

I have been telling the girlfriend to buy less cheap, China made crap from Wal-Mart.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Yay, more low-paying, no experience necessary jobs that Americans just love so much.

Because, who will make the flags that fly tackily on our car antennas? Who will make those truck balls that are made up in the colors of the American flag?

Who will make the baseballs and apple pies?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Sometimes a job is a job.

It can start a trickle down effect. The people making the little flag goes and buys a soda. Well soda sales are up now and they hire a worker or two. ....I don't know I am trying to be a little positive.

You should really try it. Maybe get out and enjoy a little fresh air of your country(I didn't look at your location)Vermont I see........... It does wonders for the self

edit on 9-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: Vermont

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

You mean working at Wal Mart? I agree we need more manufacturing jobs. I worked in tool manufacturing and various steel manufacturing jobs for much of my life. You entered at the bottom and bid on the better paying jobs as you gained experience. There are lots of Americans who only want to earn a living and do not want a career in Medicine or Rocket Science. There is nothing wrong with that. Not everybody is motivated the same.

I applaud the move to create souvenirs in America that are supposed to represent America.

I see you call yourself a humble janitor. I have worked that trade as well. My brother used to say " How can you take out trash and clean up after people for five dollars an hour?" I would tell him. " I do not do it for the money.... I do it for the prestige."
edit on 6-9-2011 by groingrinder because: Edited for clarity.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Perhaps lawmakers could choose another industry to promote?

Like, I don't know, the auto industry?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by liejunkie01

Perhaps lawmakers could choose another industry to promote?

Like, I don't know, the auto industry?

Didn't they get their billions?

I believe congress has done enough in that area.
edit on 9-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: ?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I have been telling the girlfriend to buy less cheap, China made crap from Wal-Mart

I realize that I probably offend many people here on ATS. Personally, I am offended alot here also. I assure you that I am an Midwestern American just trying to survive in a country that I see put down and bashed all day long. Well, unfortunately(for me fortunately) I do have to live here. I do have to pay for things with the so called worthless monetary thing called the dollar. I have to sell my Camaro and I only want $1,600 of them wortless dollars for it. The point is this is my life. I live it. I will defend it. Here at ATS as well. If it (the country) burns, then I will burn with it. I think I will be more prepared than most but I am not going anywhere.

Not trying to be so off topic on my own thread but, I have got to read some good news with the bad. This story is good news for the country as a whole regardless of what one thinks.Yes I do realize that I quoted myself.
edit on 9-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
We need tariffs and end free trade.

It's the only way.

new topics

top topics

join