posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:36 AM
At the risk of sidetracking somebody elses thread, here's a few details if somebody wishes to write a similar proram for their own use...
It runs on an old standalone IBM thinkpad in the corner of the room. The same one that monitors my seismometer...
It grabs a whole bunch of different keywords (Formula 1, earthquake, tremor, tsunami, supernova, ufo, aurora, geomagnetic...etc...) from twitter and
displays them as the horizontal lines. If the "tweets per hour" hit the red bar on the right, it generates a voice alert.
A second part further down grabs the rss page from geoscience Australia (cause thats where I am) and alerts on new/near earthquakes.
The third part at the bottom grabs the current planetary A and K index and shows as the horizontal lines representing geomagnetic activity, again a
voice alert for aurora watching.
It started out as a simple experiment on Visual Basic 5 (shock horror) and I just got carried away. When I realised it was going to be a "proper"
program, I was too far into it to start writing it again in C (my "proper" programming language).