It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Record Broke This Year - heat grips much of eastern US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON – The mercury climbed into the 90s across half the country Wednesday in a record-breaking blast of August-like heat, forcing schools with no air conditioning to let kids go home early and cities to open cooling centers. And scientists say we had better get used to it.

A new study from Stanford University predicts that global climate change will lead permanently to unusually hot summers by the middle of the century.

Heres a few places that had their records broken

Temperatures in the 90s were recorded across much of the South, the East and the Midwest. Baltimore and Washington hit 99 degrees, breaking high-temperature records for the date that were set in 1999, according to the National Weather Service. The normal high for the date is about 82.

Philadelphia hit 97 degrees, breaking a 2008 record of 95, and Atlantic City, N.J., tied a record of 98 set in 1999. Chicago reached 94 by midafternoon. The temperature hit 97 in LaGuardia, N.Y., breaking the old record of 96 set in 2008. Newark, N.J., reached 99 degrees, breaking a record of 97 set in 1999.

Seems alot of weather-related records have been broken this year. I wonder which will be next?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Weird. As i know that where i live, normally its 101-109 in June.

Hasnt broken 83 yet. My power bill is grateful to this change.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Did you hear about the fires in Arizona yet? So far, they're the second largest in U.S. history...I really need to get to work on my bunker...but the internet wouldn't work well down there...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ricola

I wish we could change places. It hasn't been under 90 in at least 2 weeks. Not to mention it hasn't rained in almost 3.

I'm in college but I'm home for the summer and I know my parent's A/C hasn't turned off since I've been home. Our power bill is triple the temperature!

Where is it you live?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

GA here, its the first month of summer, and I should be out long-boarding..instead I stay inside only to go out when needed, we're expected to hit 100 tomorrow...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
So we have a heat wave in certain spots of the country......big deal. Weather is rarely average all the time. It goes from one extreme to another. Remember a couple years ago about the drought in the South?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by deadgirl66613

Ive heard about them, but havent been up to date on them. I saw a thread on here a few days ago about smoke and ash covering parts of New Mexico, im not sure if its from the same fires.

Where I live, we have a pretty terrible drought (Texas). Texas Drought Continues To Set Records, No Relief In Sight Says Texas A&M Expert

Then theres been the record floods and tornadoes in other parts of the US recently.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Sun Unleashes 'Spectacular' & Powerful Eruption

The coronal mass ejection is directed at Earth and moving at about 3.1 million mph (5 million kph), SDO mission scientists said in a statement.

"Due to its angle, however, effects on Earth should be fairly small. Nevertheless, it may generate space weather effects here on Earth in a few days," they added.

In the SDO videos, the solar flare erupts from the lower right of the sun and triggers the intense coronal mass ejection, which blows plasma and particles high up into the sun's corona — its outer atmosphere — with some raining back down.

A temperature of 80,000 Kelvin is about 143,540 degrees Fahrenheit (nearly 79,727 degrees Celsius). The sun's corona typically has temperatures ranging from 900,000 degrees F (500,000 degrees C) to 10.8 million degrees F (6 million degrees C). It can reach tens of millions of degrees when a solar flare occurs.

The sun is currently going through an active period in it is 11-year solar weather cycle. The current cycle is called solar cycle 24.

edit on 8-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

You're kidding. Here in Australia we are having record cold temperatures earlier in the year than usual. It's freakin freezing. The weather it really out of whack lately.
edit on 8-6-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Let's see...here in NC..it was in the 90s with a slight chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorms...Hot, Humid, and a little too Dry....

If I didn't know better, I would say it's Summer....probably June. Well..what..WHOA...it is June in NC...well, how about that. For a moment, the way folks are talking, I thought something was a miss.

After 48 years...I can assure you that this is the way summers are suppose to feel...at least in NC.

That is why we like ice cold watermelons, sweet ICED tea, home-made ice cream, going down to the river-beach-lake for a swim, sitting under the shade tree with a cold beer grillin' some chickens....oh, and home-made lemonade....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I live in New Jersey, I had first had experience of this today and it says its supposed to continue all week.
The heat practically turned me into a vegetable, I didn't want to move from in front of the fan.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
All I know is that it went from 72 degrees to 83 degrees earlier tonight. I figured that the sea breeze saved us today, but to have the temperature rise 11 degrees after sundown is pretty bizzare. Tomorrow is supposed to be nearly 100.
In June...
jes' sayin'.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
when regional, localized weather experiences record cool temps, many come out of the woodwork to claim it disproves 'global warming'.

Wouldnt those same people claim this regional, localized weather high would prove it, then, by their own logic?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama

GA here, its the first month of summer, and I should be out long-boarding..instead I stay inside only to go out when needed, we're expected to hit 100 tomorrow...

Summer hasn't even hit......

top topics

join