It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Creeps Me Out

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
U want weird?
My real estate agent was a suggested friend when I do not know anyone she knows.
0 mutual friends

Also many sites sign you in into Facebook without your knowledge, like mainstream news sites

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GoatwolfeWolfgoate

holy crap!

You know it is so weird how these things find me. I will admit I am more techy than most but still a rookie to many.

I would have to agree that weird things have happened to me on the computer before.... Some like the examples you gave and others. Until now have I not run across an example that was just as plain as day. It is like something called to me to track the possibilities of such a thing and I find myself in another rabbit hole.

Is technology pulling at me? Now I sound like a crazy person and I am going to loose all credibility.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

No spyware or viruses here either. Really the only connection I can find is the fact that I was logged into yahoo. Huffington post is the last e-mail I received followed by 4 facebook e-mails.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
sounds like spyware..bugs ..spybots...heres how to get rid of them..free program called super antispyware..download it update it and let it run..you will be surprised what it catches..another is spybot search and destroy.. super is the best..then use CCleaner (also free) i use them about twice a week.bug free

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

A virus is not going to tell facebook what to advertize to me,,,,

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
spyware is different than a virus

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Yeah I find it weird that they have face recognition BS but I don't have the creepy advertisement on the right side. I don't know if it was 60 Minutes or what not but he wasn't shy about telling the world that he wants to take over the internet. And the way some people's lives are revolved around Facebook, I don't doubt this to happen within the next 5 years...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

I know, but it is not. Maybe it is just a coincidence. Visit the website and tell me what advertizement you get - post a pic if you can.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It is not a revolving add. Never mind nothing to see here people.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by nottheonlyone

Facebook, Twitter and people endlessly glued to their cell phones ( a huge number) are creepy.

It's like "Invasion of the Pod People".

And when you tell people, I don't do facebook or Twitter they look at you like you are mad.

And I am fairly computer literate................spend a large portion of my time on my PC.

Was one of the first people around to buy a PC...........back than, BW (Before Windows) we had to do MS DOS.....Even my kids say they were the first kids to turn in school papers done by a PC.

Could live without a TV but not my books or PC.

God forbid we have a EMP.
and I am not kidding.

Coud get use to going to the bathroom outside, even going back to camping
but no PC

edit on 8-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: Grammar.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by nottheonlyone

And when you tell people, I don't do facebook or Twitter they look at you like you are mad.

edit on 8-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

For real. Pretty soon you will become a social outcast if you are not using some kind of social media. I for one will not be swayed.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by robile

I don't care if I'm a social outcast..........I have a close circle of friends and neighbors and am Aquarius.

Don't need Facebook or Twitter.

Would also prefer to hang around animals, flowers, trees and nature vs most people anyway.

edit on 8-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
ditch the FB bull # and come back to the real world. you can keep in contact with your friends via email and phones. and mabey interact in person!!!! insted of reading your freinds status you can call them or meet up with them and find out in whats call the real world. step away from the digital age and come back to the land of the living

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Great reply I feel the same way. BTW, whats Aquarius have to do with it I'm curious because I am as well.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by nottheonlyone
reply to post by EthanT

I know, but it is not. Maybe it is just a coincidence. Visit the website and tell me what advertizement you get - post a pic if you can.

www.facebook.com...

Since, I put Star Trek as my favorite movie and TV show in my profile I get advertisements trying to sell me toy phasers and stuff!

And, being a male, it seems like facebook is trying to tell me a new different hot girl is searching for me each week. There's no way they'd be after my dorky self, lol.

(Although, wouldn't it be a tradegy if they really were searching for me and I've been ignoring them?)

edit on 9-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i dont understand how people arent aware of this, it was all public record that google bought out facebook AND youtube last year and myspace,

now another well known fact yet not exactly public record is that google is owned by the cia,

god knows how many other websites they also own, wouldnt doubt it if twitter, bing, and all the other big name msm advertised sites are also.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
it was all public record that google bought out facebook AND youtube last year and myspace,

Youtube yes. Facebook and Myspace no. Last I heard Facebook was privately owned and Myspace got sold to News Corp.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It should creep you out.
You and all 1400 friends you have 1350 of them you only met once or never.
Well maybe not you but it is that way by design, people love to collect, and this gives folks access to information some folks should just not have.
Along with all of the other cia perks.
Quit facebook, let it go bankrupt.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

My boyfriend say's the same thing - he could not live without a computer.

I agree I could do without TV.

I would definitely need books, and the great outdoors. Like you I am also a flower child and love to be around Nature. I am also really interested in astrology. I'm a Pisces - go figure.

I am aware of the fact that social networking websites are using adds based on our activity on THEIR website. What I did not expect is that the websites would interface with each other and share all of my personal data - they are not. If you read through my posts you will see I came to a conclusion about what happened. I know that some websites can provide adds based on my internet cookies. The example I gave did not fall into that category though. The cookie for that website does not exist on this PC any longer... I know all information can be recovered but this would not be done by a website or spyware or a virus.

Not to say that face book and other social networking websites are not creepy - because they are

I have thought about cancelling my facebook many times and for some reason I cannot bring myself to do it. I guess I just figure that all the pictures I have been tagged in and all the information is still stored on other people's profiles and who knows where else. It's not like I can make them "burn" all of my information. I decided to set up an account and provide information to them, they changed the rules along the way well.... there is really nothing I can do about that.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Facebook is not owned by google.... not really anyway. If you think about it though... google kind of owns everyone.

edit on 9-6-2011 by nottheonlyone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join