It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWE-INSPIRING: Man With No Family Or Home Displays His Amazing Talent Before Korean Audience

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think this story is great. How do we know it is fake?

How would we know if it was fake or real?

If it isn't a real story he tells, there surely are some orphan children in the world. There are others who surely lived and are living a life very similar to the life he describes. It does well to bring their plight to attention. Maybe next time people will notice the street children and feel inclined to want to help them somehow, and also make sure the orphanage workers are kind to the volunerable children. Some people who are in a position of power over children can be cruel. They have little power in their own families or but while at work they have power, at least over children, and use it to make themselves feel better about their own miserable lives.

Hopefully for ever "Mrs Hannigan" at the Orphanage there is a kindly sort to balance it out.

But if it is real, even though I can't understand him, the quality of his voice sounds good. If he practiced he could probably learn to sing in English, even if he doesn't understand the words. Others have done that and can sing English songs with such correct pronunciation it would fool you. I have heard others who learn to sing English songs this way.
I'd like to hear him singing in English but I can tell his voice is good.

edit on 10-6-2011 by jessieg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

So you have an argument with the thread author's title? He has no family. He had no home. Not a big deal. Nobody was trying to trick you.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

So you flew to Korea to investigate?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I almost shed a tear too. A heartwarming story. Shows you that even a guy on the streets can do well, if they have enough dedication to their craft and love in their heart. He's a hero among youth. That's what young people need. They need other people like them that can show them what's possible. Too many young people give up because they feel they're not good enough. They don't even give themselves a chance. Then for the rest of their lives they blame society for their failure to act. They hate and spread their anger. We need to encourage heroes to rise up and for the young to learn from them and rise to the occasion. Yes, we all know life is hard, it's real hard, but you CAN do it!!! Just don't give up! Believe and love and work: You WILL do it!

If there were not as many handouts in society to appease those who failed, maybe those who fail could correct their mistakes earlier than later, or never! We need heroes to restore this. Society is blind. The only people who can right this situation are those who fail. Seeing their likeness in heroes is our only hope to save them. That's my opinion on this complicated issue.

Sorry, I just seen too many people give up and throw away their lives. They end up blaming somebody else, or something else, because they think themselves not good enough. But you ARE good enough! You ARE smart enough! You CAN do it! You just don't know yet. That's so sad.

I guess it comes with working with youth. They don't work hard. They lose faith. Then give up.

Work ethic. It has always been so important, but I think role models or people we can identify with is even more important. Not having that, youth are careless and do not work hard.
edit on 10-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

Originally posted by Prometheus9

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Prometheus9
That's right, you don't get it.

Thanks for displaying your ignorance.

What ''ignorance'' ?

Artistic ability is not defined by socio-economic factors.

In fact, if you got all gooey and became a crybaby watching this guy singing, then, dare I say it, that displays a certain amount of ignorance and prejudice on your part.

''Oh, I'm going to cry now, because someone from an unfortunate background doesn't fit my preconceived idea of who I think they are''.

Anybody who cried over this video needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

edit on 10-6-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

No. YOU need to take a long hard look at yourself because you come across as an ignorant twit.
Do you even read what you post?

How is being moved by this guys story viewed as a bad or ignorant thing?

While you sit there and make condescending comments in an internet forum like a complete dumbass, this kid has the guts to get up on stage in front of millions to display his talents. This guy's trying to make something of his life in the face of adversity, why is that so difficult for you to understand?

edit on 10-6-2011 by Prometheus9 because: (no reason given)

No he is not because the whole story is fake..

He is not trying to do a DAMN thing in the face of *adversity*
HE IS A STAGE PROP.

A FAKE fabricated story...

The ignorance in people who believe this crap is downright sad..
Then down fall someone who isn't being a little BAH BAH black sheep
toting that *oh so magnificent I WAS CRYING* crap line..

edit on 10-6-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

Could you be any more obnoxious?

You have the audacity to say I'm ignorant yet you're labelling people sheep when you don't even know them. Yeah, like you're the enlightened one.

Even if this was staged, that doesn't change my initial reaction when I thought it was genuine does it? So what's wrong with showing some emotion to a story I found moving? Does everyone have to be a cynical prick like you do they?

edit on 10-6-2011 by Prometheus9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I have LITTLE DOUBT that this boy was a GREAT SINGER in his last previous life!
That would explain it all ...
But the question remains, why he had to have such a heavy childhood.
The answer will be: KARMA ...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Trully amazing for me is his effort to do and learn something he realy likes, living in the streets.
I am amazed also to see how many people in this topic is saying he can't have that voice, or know opera areas like that one, living a street life like that....it amazes me because in the end the boy clearly say in the end that he used to go to some sing/chant masterclasses when he can . ( i think that if he can or not is just a question of when he have the money or not , as obvious).
You know...Chant master classes are not a place to sleep or play cards...lol
They learn and train vocal techniques in there, and learn to sing exactly areas like that one he sings, or other classicals.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The world is full of Cynics. The Media are full of lots and lots of people looking for a sensationalisation (spell new word
) moment.

I am a cynic and I can see he is being used , he may have been groomed recently but he certainly looks uncomfortable and hardly Mr Confident. He took no pleasure in the praise, and this is consistent with people who haven't been loved(i wont share my life lol), it is a mysnoma (spell) to them, he is genuine be it 7/8 years of being on his own or 10, its still a worthy story and a fantastic young man. I want him do do well , he will be media hugged along the way, but he loves singing and I loved his singling.

The 2 female judges didn't hide there emotions , they both broke down, the male well he I think knew (small set up, Korea is still very much full of child workers, he was one, dont be so surprised, he worked selling gum from the age of 5 like alot of kids on our planet working too young, bless him).

Anyway, Give HIM a break and let him sing... he does singing good

Brian
edit on 10-6-2011 by Gooseygander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

My reply was more of a jab at the misleading title, guess I should have read into it some some...

I did...

Turns out this 22 year old boy has had training at a performing arts school...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
This is the story of a young man who had nothing. He ran away from a violent orphanage at a very young age and even slept in public restrooms. He wandered the streets for a decade with no family, or friends. But he has survived the streets and now he shares his story with the world.

edit on 8-6-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

What a load of crap. Sure its nice that the poor guy can sing and all..
But what has that got to do with denying ignorance. If I wanted more like that I could just turn on the tube.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by gate13

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

So a street kid with no family just happens to be able to sing beautiful Opera? Seems quite unlikely.....where woud he even learn a piece like that?..But hey, I'll buy into it I guess, unless I hear evidence it's just a put on....I suppose it's possible. I'll choose to believe it, for now....I guess I can't always be a cynic. That's not what I found odd about it though.....What I found odd was that he apparently sold 'energy drinks and gum' on the streets!!! Say What?!?!?! That's just downright surreal! I guess I'll just assume it must be a cultural difference....I can't imagine seeing a street kid selling Energy Drinks and Gum in my city.
i dont care if this offends you but man you must be a retard.

where do you live man? USA? Australia ? Britain? or any other western bull# society?

Go experience the world man for the love of god.

WHat do you think other parts of the world live this bull# work 9-5 system they have made for us?

in some parts of the world kids sell guns grenades and drugs and you find it hard to believe some kid sells energy drinks and gum?

shame on you man.

ATS - " deny ignorance"

Wow such an angry response. You did notice that I did say IT MUST BE A CULTURAL DIFFERENCE.....Jeeze dude I was only saying that it was SURREAL FOR HERE. You should really read what a person writes before getting so angry!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkmaninperth

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

So a street kid with no family just happens to be able to sing beautiful Opera? Seems quite unlikely.....*snip* *snip*..I can't imagine seeing a street kid selling Energy Drinks and Gum in my city.

Do you know that the world isn't the same everywhere? I have seen kids selling meat on an old wooden cart on the side of the road in Kuala Lumpur, energy drinks are easier and they probably sell more.

Dear Lord...doesn't anyone read my original comment where I clearly address this by saying IT MUST BE A CULTURAL DIFFERENCE.....meaning that while it's surreal for HERE, it's perhaps not that surreal for some other country!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
It's not correct to say that people with operatic voices must have had some previous training.

Some people just have naturally good voices. It's perfectly possible, through self-cultivation, to hone your voice into something of remarkable aesthetic beauty.

I'm not speaking through personal experience, by the way.

Actually they do need LOTS of training to sing Opera...Opera isn't just about having a good voice. I know this not from personal experience, but I do know this from second hand experience watching one of my ex-girlfriends (who had a beautiful voice naturally I might add) struggle for weeks trying to learn how to sing an Opera piece successfully.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I'd like to think of myself as a Hard-4ss... but that made me shed a tear. Thanks for sharing. Wish I knew what song he was singing.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

OMG thank you for this
anyone who sees this an hasent got tears in there eyes is not human
wonderful

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kykweer

it does'nt matter who wins, the key is getting as many phone calls as possible, are you denying susan boyle was good for income in that regard while the public were in AWE?

same with the guy in this thread, he does not need to win, the point is an imagine and storey is given to convince the public to call. if they get enough attention they release a record to and then are never heard of again untill the next person everybody feels sorry for is introduced to the show the following year.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

If there were not as many handouts in society to appease those who failed, maybe those who fail could correct their mistakes earlier than later, or never!

Which mistake of his do you think he has corrected? Being abandoned as an infant at an orphanage? Maybe the mistake of being bullied so that he had to run away? Was it perhaps being born into abject poverty? Perhaps it was the mistake of living in a world where no one cared enough to give him a place to sleep so he had to sleep on a public toilet? Or was it the mistake of being exploited by a multimillion dollar production put on for the benefit of those who can afford televisions.

Yes, let's stop all handouts to people who really, desperately need them because day to day they cannot even afford food, clothing or a place to live, who are exploited, beaten, abused. Let's cut off the supply of freebies to these bludgers. Maybe they'll die and stop bothering us. Actually, why stop there...

I'd usually now provide some links to support my contention that in various parts of the world, including the US, some people think that killing the homeless is a good idea, or even fun or funny. But frankly the videos, news articles and other webpages that advocate these are so disturbing that I think even ATS would be offended by this stuff.

One of the biggest revelations I had as a human being was when the Rwandan genocide occurred (500,000 people minimum, slaughtered in a matter of weeks with machetes, or if they could afford a bullet they were shot). I realised that the only difference between me and the people committing this massacre is that I was not born into that circumstance. I began to realise that by ignoring poverty, oppression, hardship, ignorance, despair, murder, exploitation and other forms of human degradation, I was as guilty as the people who committed the Rwandan genocide.

It's a difficult realisation. The human condition seems to be one of selfishness and lack of compassion. Working against it takes nothing short of a miracle. I cried for an hour when I realised how little I cared about 500,000 people being slaughtered. I just didn't care. 500,000 people. And I didn't care.

Sorry to paint so graphic a picture. And I'm not wishing to jump on this particular one sentence I quoted out of context. I'm merely trying to paint a picture of the slippery slope that the "let's not give these people any handouts and make them work for a good life" philosophy can lead to. I've been down that road. I didn't care. Now I do. Poverty is a trap that people cannot get out of because of exploitation. After working with people in poverty I know. One group I worked with were all slaughtered a year after I left. Men, women and children, including the good friends I made when there. Unfortunately, if you leave people in poverty, by and large, they cannot get out, and bad things can happen to them. That's unfortunately how the world is. Again sorry for the strong, graphic language.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Wow, I am incredibly impressed, that was very inspiring. good post OP, appreciate it

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Absolutely love that, really heartwarming... a great way to start my day!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Well, I wanted to reply to this thread earlier...

I was adopted from S. Korea, I was placed in an orphanage... I was probably only a bit of luck away from being in the same situation as this guy.

I was appalled by all of the posts discounting him because he had professional singing lessons. Do you realise what this guy went through to get to where he is today? For all of those saying "lol selling gums and energy drinks", S. Korea wasn't always as western as it is today and it is still quite poor in many ways, I am not suprised that he made a living this way.

You should all be grateful that you didn't have to experience this kind of life because we are lucky to have WELFARE, which doesn't EXIST in Korea.

Personally, this has solidified my decision to help sponsor a child's education in Korea (low income or N. K refugee). And even if this guy was exposed as a fraud, it doesn't even matter, the point is that you know, somewhere out there, people really do have to live like that and it's NOT RIGHT.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join