It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's slimy it's Brown and it's coming to your town...... It's Rock Snot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is something I have never heard of before today, unofficially named "rock snot" this slimy algae has already spread all the way from North America to New Zealand killing off local plants and ecosystems on its way.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7f611748569.jpg[/atsimg]

Apart from it's rather disgusting appearance one of the most interesting things about it is that it appears to almost "farm" its own food, moving in to a stream or pond with very little nutrients and then growing it's own

Didymo thrives in Rapid Creek through biogeochemical processes in biofilms in the mats. As Didymo mats form, new stalks develop at the surface and older stalks—which have already bound phosphorus—are displaced to the mats' inner regions. Phosphorus is available to Didymo thanks to the activity of the bacteria that live inside these mats. "This study solves the puzzle of how Didymo can produce such large blooms in low-nutrient rivers and streams," says Tim Kratz, program director in NSF's Division of Environmental Biology.

link

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a32b08cfea5.jpg[/atsimg]

The microscopic algae can apparently also be spread in a single drop of water, making the task of stopping it spreading almost impossible.

edit on 8-6-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

let me guess. It started in New York or connecticut?

Odd

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
What a weird coincidence.. we were talking about this on another board I go to! Its edible

www.backwaterangler.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

ecently published an article titled, Weeds, Rock Snot and Lionfish a menu for ‘Invasivores’

Now that is a good way of getting rid of it. If we can sneak it into a burger then all the better

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Disgusting.

But I thought it was a band you were talking about. lol

Introducing.."ROCK-SNOT!"

Awesome band name!

edit on 8-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Advantage

ecently published an article titled, Weeds, Rock Snot and Lionfish a menu for ‘Invasivores’

Now that is a good way of getting rid of it. If we can sneak it into a burger then all the better

Manna for the starving masses... **urp**

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
i recently noticed this stuff on my daily walk w/ the dogs. On the side of a trail, there is a slow moving drainage trench, i thought is was brown stagnant water at first. looking at it today i could tell it was biological.

don't recall ever seeing it before.
weird.

BTW...Connecticut....

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
And on the menue tonight it's Boggie Pickers Delight.
Nasty!!

new topics

top topics

join