It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In jail for being in debt...indefinite incarceration for 300$...arrested for 85$

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
People being arrested for debt? That is one of the most terrible things I have heard of coming from the worlds wealthiest superpower. It is morally wrong to arrest people for debt anyway, Perhaps this person could genuinely not afford to pay.
Just an observation : people seem to say that an operation like that costs a lot of money. Above what the SWAT members were already getting paid. As they would have been at work anyway and are paid a salary not on a "per-mission basis" it can only cost in gasoline for vehicles.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by armtx
Boy, there are some real out of the box thinkers on this one?!?

If you stole a pair of Nikes from the mall and their worth was 125.00 dollars, guess what, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

The principal is the same, you owe money and since you are not willing to pay it, the "government" is going to treat you like a criminal.

I guess you are all fine with stealing?

Like hell it is stealing. With stealing there is intent. When you charge a pair of $125 Nikes on a Master Card and you inted to pay it, or even pay some or most of the debt. Then you are lets say laid off or your job is outsourced. You have the unemployment check that amounts to peanuts. You have utility bills, rent ect. You are barely making it by and are barely eating. You do not have money to pay off your card let alone the payments keep up with the interest. You somehow sold your soul.

What are you going to do? Eat your shoes? Use them as fire wood?

No, did you foresee unemployment? NO! Did you intend to live under such conditions all because you wanted those shoes so much you had no intent to pay your balance? Gimmie a break, there are some people who have no intent of paying sure. This is quite different then theft. This is why i wont use plastic money. It is a trap and a slippery slope. . I save up and pay for things cash only.

I went through this situation as mentioned years ago and when i got a job finally my wages were automatically garnished. That forced me to move back in with my parents. Then my job was killed off by this abysmal economy once again. I still owe some medical bills and some here and there but not in the deep sh%@ that i was before.

If i had the money first thing I would do is pay off the rest. But i dont have it right now. Good thing this is not going on in Iowa that im aware of and im sure it very well eventually. My wife owes back student loans

I tell you what if the gestapo shows up here with some B.S. hench men style raid im fighting back and im going to give them a actual reason to jail me. And this WILL backfire on them down the road. They are really pushing this police state hard. They really know no limitations and underestimate the people. Like the saying goes... the straw that broke the camels back.

Jailing people will not squeeze a drop out of a lemon. It wont help them get a job, it wont change a thing. This undermines the idea of recovering money. It is more sinister then that. This is a LIE! This is actually enslavement! Like i say it is a trap. They have no use with jailed debtors. They just become a body or a slave punching licence plates for 5 cents an hour. This is part of the NWO's manifesto.

Viva La Revolution anyone?
edit on 10-6-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yup there about to jail me for debts owed (child support, medical bills etc) and I never broke any law except for the law that you must pay your child support I guess...this whole system is bogus bs

Im behind on mine too. I guess I will see you in the pokie and we can plan the revolution together during playing cards and drinking cheap coffee.

Of course while they are "helping us feed our kids"

edit on 10-6-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The United States is very unstable right now. Throwing people in jail for being in debt is just crazy when people legitimately can't afford to pay. People are having to make some horrible decisions in this day and age. Decisions like "should I pay this bill or eat for the day." We didn't do this to ourselves on purpose and I think that is something people should remember.

It's sad to think that Americans can so easily be abused like this. People are going to start going berserk over this kind of thing because they are at their limits. You can't push people around who are at their limits because it causes violence, retaliation, and a whole lot of additional problems that didn't even exist before! I really hate to see people suffering but it saddens me even more that a corrupt system is making things 100% worse than they have to be.

SO - I want to know how we can take a peaceful stand against things like this happening. I think a lot of people want to stand up against corruption like this but don't know how. Any ideas?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Of course there are debtor prisons in the U.S. Like Orwell's 1984, we just change the name of the reason why you are placed in custody, like contempt of court. It happens every day with out of work fathers who cannot meet child support obligations.

If I go dark for a few weeks, here's why. It will be because the court locked me up for being behind my $2000/mo child support because I have been out of work for months. My income dropped from $150k/year to $660/mo. You might think at that earnings rate I would have had lots of savings...I did until the economy trashed our home's value. The rest was spent paying for her lawyers (I've had to be my own lawyer since September because I can't afford one, the house she lives in without paying for over a year now, my own rent and expenses and all her debt put on me due to her Chapter 7. All gone.

Oh, by the way, I have the kids 50% of time during summer months, 40% during the school year. In summer, that translates into $2000/mo child care if my current wife and I are both working. So even if I got a job making $60k, it'd put me even more in the whole because of garnishments and child care. By August, our family of six will be moving to a 2 br apartment and I'll risk incarceration.

Oh by the way #2: the feds are canceling my passport due to the deliquency, so I can no longer work in my old industry which requires international travel.

Oh by the way #3: the state is going to suspend my drivers license due to the deliquency. Sort of hard to get a job when you can't drive.

See how this game works?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'm going to print up some money, and then loan it to you.

For a small fee, we'll call it "interest"

My system is designed to never be fully paid off, just pay the "minimum" you'll be fine.

BTW I own the company you work for...

Can't pay? I throw you in prison. Then I still make you work (for me) but now I only have to pay you .10/cents an hour!

You'll never pay off your debt to me.

SLAVES!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Sorry to hear you are going through all that Pajoly. I wish the best for you and your family.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
One day in 2010, I receiced a friendly reminder from the Sheriff's department that I had a warrant for my arrest. The warrant stemmed from lawyer bill that I had defaulted on after losing my income.

It was easy they said, just come on down to the jail and turn yourself in, then after you speak with the judge, you can pay your $285 and be on your way.

I did as told, the judge ordered me held in the county jail until I paid the money owed, or I could stay in jail until the next hearing that the judge ordered. (3 weeks later)

So, I paid the money I owed and they let me out of jail, all in the same afternoon. Life went on, I found a new job...then

3 weeks later, the sheriff followed me home on a Friday night after I left work, and arrested me on a warrant for failure to appear in court for the "hearing" the judge had set up for me 3 weeks earlier. I spent the whole weekend locked in a holding cell, so I could appear in court for a debt that I already paid.

If I hadn't paid, I would have still been in jail from the first warrant. When I arrived in court, the judge looked me in the eye and said "next time you'll appear when you're ordered to, dismissed"....needless to say I was infuriated, and I will never have any respect for a system that will treat it's citizens like criminal's and play little power trip games with people's lives.

I've got to walk away from the computer now....my head is going to explode....

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
Actually, if you read the article, no one was put in jail because they owe a debt. The article states the warrant for arrest was issued because the debtor failed to show up for a court appearance when they were being sued. Why didn't they show up? If they had a valid reason they could report that to the court before the court date. It boils down to a simple lack of responsibility with the debtor. They want the money for free.

It's also a common practice to purposely send court summons in these cases to the wrong address, so the debtor never sees the court summons.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by armtx
Boy, there are some real out of the box thinkers on this one?!?

If you stole a pair of Nikes from the mall and their worth was 125.00 dollars, guess what, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

The principal is the same, you owe money and since you are not willing to pay it, the "government" is going to treat you like a criminal.

I guess you are all fine with stealing?

www.imdb.com...

Are there no prisons?And the union workhouses - are they still in operation?

This here is a perfect example of the need for eugenics. As technology get's better we will be able to spot sociopaths/psychopaths when they are still just "clumps of cell's".

These Judges need to be thrown in Jail. What part of Debtors Jail is illegal don't they understand?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Nice find, great post,

After reading all the responses however, everyone is missing the point, we all would rather sit here and complain instead of doing the right thing. I have for close to two years now try to inform the people here about the only legal path to freedom through corrected status, but it is easier to sit here and bitch instead of getting the education I provide for free to help you got out of the system. Maybe some of you have missed my many posts over the years so again I will put a link to the truth in law.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

you are either part of the solution or part of the problem

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Well, i think it's time to round up them there politician's, for the trillions of dollars they owe. Afterall, debt IS debt...and these people have accumulated more debt, than many nations combined. What makes politicians exempt from the rules? What's good for the goose, is good for the gander!

This is also another reason why God said, "Do NOT borrow"! Which part of 'NOT' do you 'NOT' get? I'd rather be broke than owe to someone else!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join