It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In jail for being in debt...indefinite incarceration for 300$...arrested for 85$

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
What a vicious cycle
If there is anything to learn from this
it is to not borrow or buy into these systems of ideas.
You don't want to get stuck into their world.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Boy, there are some real out of the box thinkers on this one?!?

If you stole a pair of Nikes from the mall and their worth was 125.00 dollars, guess what, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

The principal is the same, you owe money and since you are not willing to pay it, the "government" is going to treat you like a criminal.

I guess you are all fine with stealing?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by armtx

If you stole a pair of Nikes from the mall and their worth was 125.00 dollars, guess what, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

The principal is the same, you owe money and since you are not willing to pay it, the "government" is going to treat you like a criminal.

So by your assuumption, a child who is in need of health insurance, who's parents cannot get state subsidized medicaid, who's got a life threatening injury, who's parents seek medical care at the hospital they have no insurance to use because of being poor and unable to get medicaid, are theives, the entire family thieves for seeking medical treatment for their child? Makes perfect sense.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

LOL how narrow a proposition! I was just served with a summons to court over a medical bill of 700 pumped up to 850 in court costs because of a clerical error causing a 1week lapse of coverage. As it was over a year before I was even made aware of the lapse I had no substantial documentation to back up my side, but the collector had a piece of paper saying I owed. They named both myself and wife in the civil suit. Luckily we robbed Peter and paid Paul or is it Guido? with family help. Without the help the judgement would have made criminals of us as I am presently completely disabled and my wife is caring for me as I heal from a major surgery.Any judgement made I would not been able to agree to or comply with at present or in the next year or so while I recover.
The cap was when I explained my situation to the "collector" they said "they understand and would not seek to collect the judgement were it to go to court". It was not even about the money, it was about screwing our credit over a few hundred bucks. It was all BS as once the court makes the judgement they make sure it is paid so they are not only extortion racketeers they are economic hit-men.
seed

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Well every person they toss in jail, it's also their fault, the economy is so screwed up in the first place, right ?
This is exactly how it's supposed to work you know ? Excremo rollin downhill ? Only?

Hey it's really the best deal for the person that owes. Three hots and a cot to pay off you're debt. Then when you come out of jail they can't leave anyt5hing hanging over your head. Clean start.
edit on 8-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

You have court costs to pay if you lose the case. You have to pay for an appointed lawyer and in most counties you have to pay for the jail time. Debt plied upon debt with more court costs and fines as you go through the system again and again. There is no free lunch and our taxes don't count toward any "service" provided by the government.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Oh yes...they are using swat teams...this happened just the other day....

www.rawstory.com...

A swat team busted down this man's door over his wife's student loans...it was 6am, they busted in and grabbed him by the neck, cuffed him and put him and his kids into a cop car for 6 hours and searched his house. He was in his underwear the whole time. They later said it was for a criminal investigation. But that's not what the warrant said.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

So by your assuumption, a child who is in need of health insurance, who's parents cannot get state subsidized medicaid, who's got a life threatening injury, who's parents seek medical care at the hospital they have no insurance to use because of being poor and unable to get medicaid, are theives, the entire family thieves for seeking medical treatment for their child? Makes perfect sense.

No because in our country, no one can be refused treatment at a hospital...you bettter come a little stronger than that

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Funny how debtors who owe millions are not arrested, it is just the poor folk who can't buy a law to protect themselves. It is a sort of stealing, but should not be treated in a criminal manner. It is a civil matter. The police should not be involved.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Except for the tiny fact that you're an ex-con now and can't get hired at a fastfood place, much less actually find a decent job.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustard seed

LOL how narrow a proposition! I was just served with a summons to court over a medical bill of 700 pumped up to 850 in court costs because of a clerical error causing a 1week lapse of coverage. As it was over a year before I was even made aware of the lapse I had no substantial documentation to back up my side, but the collector had a piece of paper saying I owed. They named both myself and wife in the civil suit. Luckily we robbed Peter and paid Paul or is it Guido? with family help. Without the help the judgement would have made criminals of us as I am presently completely disabled and my wife is caring for me as I heal from a major surgery.Any judgement made I would not been able to agree to or comply with at present or in the next year or so while I recover.
The cap was when I explained my situation to the "collector" they said "they understand and would not seek to collect the judgement were it to go to court". It was not even about the money, it was about screwing our credit over a few hundred bucks. It was all BS as once the court makes the judgement they make sure it is paid so they are not only extortion racketeers they are economic hit-men.

Although I feel for you and your situation and I am at no level saying the system is fair, but at the same time, a bill was owed even if it was only 700 bucks.

The problem is, people dont understand credit how it is collected, nor do most people understand that all of these things can be negoitated. The Federal government protects US citizens far more than any other country on the planet. In fact they protect the average citizen so much, that banks spend millions of dollars lobying congress to ease up on the laws.

We can pitty each other, but they dont cut off hands in this country
seed

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

Check my earlier post. What happens when you have a ton of student loans and then can't find a job? That's what I am going through right now. If you go to school and can't afford to pay for it as you go....you get student loans. But the jobs aren't there now. And you could end up in about $60,000 in debt for a degree.

The people from the article I posted had three children, which is not cheap. I speak from experience, as I have four kids. Education is not free, even in public school. I paid $625 just in registration fees for my kids last year. Book fees, locker fees, art supplies fees, driver's ed fees, you name it, there is a fee for it. I even have a technology fee ($35 per kid) to sign them up to pay for their school lunches and to see their grades online.

But I guess it their fault. They shouldn't have gone to school to further their education, so they could get a better job. They should be sent to jail for their stupidity...However, I think that a lot of college students are going to be faced with this problem in this failing economy.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by armtx

The gov't has no problem with stealing seems they are in a pretty huge debt and by the way the USA still has not paid off their debt to Spain for accidentally dropping a nuke on them so shouldn't the gov't be in debtors prison in Spain?
Are you abdicating it is ok for businesses and banks and the gov't to steal seems none of these entities are held accountable for their debt and even stole more of American taxpayers money but average citizens are worthless pieces of crap and the only ones that should pay their debts?
So the little guy steals $125 pair of shoes and should be jailed but the corporations steal millions and even get a bonus and more tax payers money, yep seems just and fair to me.
If the politicians and banks and corporations are setting the example are those that follow to be the only ones accountable?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The American dream will get you in prison

This is not funny anymore..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

You're wrong. Believe me I know. County time dosn't make you an excon. A misdomeaner dosn't make you an excon. There's noway these people were charged with a felony. Catch a number and go to the Penn. You're an excon. Camp snoopy for misdomeaner crap ? No worries.
edit on 9-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11 Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit.

Kidnapping for ransom was a death penalty offense last time I checked.
Why didn't he get the chair?

A few lynchings would go a long way. Since ropes are in short supply I think the best thing for people like this is to force them to work for the rest of their life at minimum wage (they cannot accept gifts) for a term of years.
edit on 9-6-2011 by ..5.. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..

Originally posted by jude11 Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit.

Kidnapping for ransom was a death penalty offense last time I checked.
Why didn't he get the chair?

Could be any number of reasons really. Plea bargain or just that considering the circumstances the judge didn't feel the DP was appropriate. Death penalty is the max sentence not the least. Also I think in some states the death penalty must be persued by the prosecuter.
edit on 9-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

This isn't just to you but to the other person as well. Every job application I've filled out in the last few months has asked if I've been convicted of a crime. A few years ago when filling out apps they only asked about felonies. Now they want to know if you've ever been in trouble, what you did, when and where you did it, and the disposition of the offense, which is legaleze for the outcome of the case. I've only had 1 interview out of at least 20 applications I filled out and I believe it's because of my 2 DUI's from 2005 and 2006, which shouldn't even matter since I haven't even gotten a ticket since..

As for the OP, that's just insane. Indefinite jail time for a $300 debt. How is anybody supposed to make money while sitting in a jail cell that they have to pay for as well? Hopefully I don't get a knock on my door because I don't have any money for anything being unemployed.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Woa... I just can't believe this is real! I knew many judges to be corrupt, but THIS, it's beyond believable.

No mafia ever went that far into exploiting other people in criminal ways, and yet that man in suit, a well-respected judge for years, was caught sending kids to jail just for personal profits!

Only corporate governance brings that kind of unbelievable criminal conduct. Corporate prisons should simply not be allowed to exist... but the State officials who allow it also know where their big money comes from.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
A lot of people are going to deal with this type of tyranny from the new breed of cop and judges. Make no mistake about it though, they are sealing their own fates.People will only take this so long, and because they are outnumbered...they will lose no matter how much technology they have. The worst part is, that the people will make them pay harder than the judges and cops made them suffer in prison. History is replete with this type of tyranny and the people always end up beating the cops/judges to death or hanging them in the middle of town squares and sometimes worse. I would hate to be on the side of a tyrannical legal system like this in the direction we are heading. You could be a good cop or a good judge and it wouldn't matter. The people will see you just like all the rest that treated them like dogs. We have already seen videos where people in the world have started to rebel violently against the cops and protect one another from them........it will get much worse as history always repeats itself, America will be no different. There is an old saying...."When you ain't got nothin'.....there's nothin' to lose." I just get a deep chill in my bones because I can already tell what is going to happen...and those abusers who bastardize the law and abuse power, will be held to a task that will make them wish they were one of the blue-collar workers that they locked up. The ones locked up will actually have it better in the end. When it's all said and done....the survivors will be set free and the laws will be reconsidered...none of the tyrants will remain. I don't write history, but the pattern suggests this will happen and when you learn from history you are usually right..not because of prophecy...but because there tend to be patterns that sequentially compliment each other in succession as per human mistakes that just can't, seemingly, be learned from. Hence, they happen again and again.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
throw the whole corporate board of g.m. into prison too. they failed to pay back almost 20% of the multi-billion dollar bailout. and have no intention of paying up either.

And what they DID pay came from a government subsidy or grant. It's laughable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join