It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In jail for being in debt...indefinite incarceration for 300$...arrested for 85$

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
That's freedom for ya. The return of debtor prisons.

In jail for being in debt

You committed no crime, but an officer is knocking on your door. More Minnesotans are surprised to find themselves being locked up over debts.

It's not a crime to owe money, and debtors' prisons were abolished in the United States in the 19th century. But people are routinely being thrown in jail for failing to pay debts.

In Minnesota, which has some of the most creditor-friendly laws in the country, the use of arrest warrants against debtors has jumped 60 percent over the past four years, with 845 cases in 2009, a Star Tribune analysis of state court data has found.

Not every warrant results in an arrest, but in Minnesota many debtors spend up to 48 hours in cells with criminals. Consumer attorneys say such arrests are increasing in many states, including Arkansas, Arizona and Washington, driven by a bad economy, high consumer debt and a growing industry that buys bad debts and employs every means available to collect.

Whether a debtor is locked up depends largely on where the person lives, because enforcement is inconsistent from state to state, and even county to county.

In Illinois and southwest Indiana, some judges jail debtors for missing court-ordered debt payments. In extreme cases, people stay in jail until they raise a minimum payment. In January, a judge sentenced a Kenney, Ill., man "to indefinite incarceration" until he came up with $300 toward a lumber yard debt.

So... the state is broke, so let's JAIL people who owe us money... that way, the state gets to spend more money while the prisoner can't pay us because he doesn't have a job.... just BRILLIANT.

"The law enforcement system has unwittingly become a tool of the debt collectors," said Michael Kinkley, an attorney in Spokane, Wash., who has represented arrested debtors. "The debt collectors are abusing the system and intimidating people, and law enforcement is going along with it."

How often are debtors arrested across the country? No one can say. No national statistics are kept, and the practice is largely unnoticed outside legal circles. "My suspicion is the debt collection industry does not want the world to know these arrests are happening, because the practice would be widely condemned," said Robert Hobbs, deputy director of the National Consumer Law Center in Boston.

Cops being tools once again to screw the people.

Taxpayers foot the bill for arresting and jailing debtors. In many cases, Minnesota judges set bail at the amount owed.

In Minnesota, judges have issued arrest warrants for people who owe as little as $85 -- less than half the cost of housing an inmate overnight. Debtors targeted for arrest owed a median of $3,512 in 2009, up from $2,201 five years ago.

Those jailed for debts may be the least able to pay.

"It's just one more blow for people who are already struggling," said Beverly Yang, a Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation staff attorney who has represented three Illinois debtors arrested in the past two months. "They don't like being in court. They don't have cars. And if they had money to pay these collectors, they would."

Arresting people for 85$... insanity. And I bet they love to use SWAT teams too. So who knows how many dogs/people were killed by those SWAT teams ``by mistake``....
edit on 8-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Spending thousands to collect hundreds is par for the government course.

Raise taxes to 100% and the country will still be bankrupt simply because it behaves in this way.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Remember this?

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit.

www.nytimes.com...

The answers became a bit clearer on Thursday as the judge, Mark A. Ciavarella Jr., and a colleague, Michael T. Conahan, appeared in federal court in Scranton, Pa., to plead guilty to wire fraud and income tax fraud for taking more than $2.6 million in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers run by PA Child Care and a sister company, Western PA Child Care.

One girl was sentenced to 3 months for making fun of her teacher on Myspace. And of course, who got paid? The Jailers.

Private Prisons are just an opportunity to make money. Nothing about the state but private companies.

They shut down the county-run juvenile detention center, arguing that it was in poor condition, the authorities said, and maintained that the county had no choice but to send detained juveniles to the newly built private detention centers.

This looks like it may be heading that way.

"In Illinois and southwest Indiana, some judges jail debtors for missing court-ordered debt payments. In extreme cases, people stay in jail until they raise a minimum payment. In January, a judge sentenced a Kenney, Ill., man "to indefinite incarceration" until he came up with $300 toward a lumber yard debt."

This was a private debt, not one owed to the courts. So who benefits here?

In the future I can see all prisons run by corporations. WalMart's new venture?

edit on 8-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Yes, it's pretty serious issue. Poor people turned into criminals.

In many States,in order to continue receiving Government Subsidies for the Jail Systems,the Jails must have X number of prisoners incarcerated per year per bunk or lose the funds.

So..grab poor people,fill the bed..

Jail Deputies keep making overtime, and applied funds to retirement while poor people keep the wheels turning.

For justice of course.

Who's in jail? Just US!
(I'm not that poor NOW.. but I know how it works.)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well every person they toss in jail, it's also their fault, the economy is so screwed up in the first place, right ?
This is exactly how it's supposed to work you know ? Excremo rollin downhill ? Only?

Hey it's really the best deal for the person that owes. Three hots and a cot to pay off you're debt. Then when you come out of jail they can't leave anyt5hing hanging over your head. Clean start.
edit on 8-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
These states need to change their laws. Private companies are basically using the legal system to collect debts. I guess calling people at all hours of the day and putting liens on peoples property isnt enough for the debt collecters.

These debts of a few hundred or thousand dollars are so petty that the issuing company probably wrote them off years ago. Then sold them to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar. Allowing courts to impose jail time for this is a huge waste of tax dollars and in my opinion immoral.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

If you have ever spent much time in civil courtrooms,
you would realize it is just one huge debt collection machine.
Run by the local head honchos to feed upon their poorer neighbors.

I would guess the lumber yard owner was a golfing buddy of the judge.

I would also add, always show up when summoned.
edit on 8-6-2011 by TriggerFish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

By law people are not to be jailed for being unable to pay a debt, including court fees. I just read about this. It does happen, but it is against something. I don't have the paper I read this one, but it was on a newsletter from the A.C.L.U.

It makes zero sense. A few days in jail runs up a higher bill than what is owed.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

By law people are not to be jailed for being unable to pay a debt, including court fees. I just read about this. It does happen, but it is against something. I don't have the paper I read this one, but it was on a newsletter from the A.C.L.U.

It makes zero sense. A few days in jail runs up a higher bill than what is owed.

Unless it's a privately owned jail. Then there is profit for the owners and the state pays for those profits to private corporations. Sickening.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Their solutions, as has sometimes been decreed by a judge, is to also pay for their cost of being in jail.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

turn about is fair play a debotors prison for the us government since the majority of the national debt is owed to the people.

the government cant pay its bill lock em up

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wait until the USD becomes worthless. Stuff even more people in those cells. Thank God I live in Canada.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This is a case of biting the hand that feeds. By making examples of these people many of whom cannot afford legal council fear as the tool is used to leverage repayments.
Prison is not the answer.
If they were serious they would engage people without means in gainful employment educating them in the job for the first half and keeping them on if they so desire after. The taxman gets paid the debtor gets paid and the poor person gets paid.
The current system means that someone can claim you owe them money and unless you have the legal smarts to fight back and the resources most people just wear it.
Prison is not the answer it never was except for the most violent of criminals. In Australia it is a multimillion dollar private industry to keep children "illegal immigrants" behind razor wire for over 7 years in some cases. As long as this weeks episode of football stays on schedule why should I be concerned? (Sarcasm)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I agree with the OP and most all of the comments here. That being said.... You must be very careful when in court with a debtor, they will try to offer your terms to which you will agree upon in front of the judge. Should you fail to meet these terms for ANY reason at a later date, you are jailed for "contempt of court" and therefore they can justify it is not debtors prison since you had agreed to the terms of the "court" before hand.

Contempt of court is the same way they jail out of work fathers who can't pay there child support or alimony as well. Worst thing about it is that you can be held on a contempt charge with no expectation of a speedy trial nor ask your case to be heard in front of a jury of your peers.

This law is the fundamental thing that needs to change and unjust cases such as has been mentioned here would be remedied.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Keep in mind, when it comes to credit and as the article mentions of people going to jail;
that once the company you owe money to, sells the account to a debt collector, it will still come up on your credit rating as a negative. There's no more 7 year statute of limitations, as all companies seem to be selling the accounts after an amount of time. Also, they can have credit reports blocked, keep in mind it is illegal to do.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Hmmm....private prisons...debtors prisons....no possible problem there, huh?

American is lost, period. Land of the enslaved, mind-numbed, zombie people.

Thanks for bringing this to light. I've known about it for quite some time, but I'm sure most don't. Too late, though, we're completely screwed and it's too late to do anything about it. Hate to be so grim, but it is what it is.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Why can't we ask a federal judge to send Congress and the President to a debtors jail? As I see it, they owe us the money back.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
throw the whole corporate board of g.m. into prison too. they failed to pay back almost 20% of the multi-billion dollar bailout. and have no intention of paying up either.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
They are trying to condition us. To make sure they get our
money. Most of us won't go to jail for our debts because we'll
be too scared of that happening and make sure they are paid.
So in the end it could very well be cost effective for them. At least
until people start rebelling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join