It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the chances the U.S. economy could eventually trigger violence in our country?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

That is quite possible and if that happens.....find the high ground.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

Nice story, and sorry your family had to suffer hardships, but tell me where I said everything was better back in the day. I didn't, what I did say is people did what needed to be done just like your grandfather did. He didn't sit around and get a handout to take care of his family he went out and did what everyone else did at the time, and that is work! I am sure he was proud of every bit of what little he had just for the fact that it was his, and he didn't have it handed to him. I understand that it wasn't right for the coal company to come in and buy up all the land, but that didn't happen in every depression era community.
My point is people today (not all, but the numbers seem to be growing) think they should just have their 3 meals a day handed to them and not have to work for it.
I don't need a history lesson either, because for every good story there is always a bad one on the flip side. The point is people were different then than they are today. Simply put they just had more pride.

edit on 6/9/2011 by SpaDe_ because: worded wrong.....

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by KoolerKing

That is quite possible and if that happens.....find the high ground.

Already there my friend.

We've already seen the power go out twice in the last week and a half. Thankfully both times it was only out a few seconds to a minute. I've made sure all our flashlights have fresh batteries, and have several cases of bottled water and canned goods at the ready. The wife wasn't too happy when I told her we'll be using her candles more than the flashlights. I never understood why someone needs all these candles if she's never going to use them.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Where do you live? In Orlando, Fl we haven't seen any power outs but I completely agree, if we were to have a problem with power outages that would enrage a lot of people, especially teens who can't get on facebook

The only problem I see with your theory is that the average person, seemingly regardless of the heat, will not turn on their A/C. My father is a dentist and we still keep the A/C set to 85 at the lowest (which feels awful) and for the most part its just turned off. The power would only be affected if people could afford to keep the A/C down, which they can't. I could be wrong and let me know if I am but I don't see power outages becoming the norm.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think it has already happened. Considering that there are thousands of people living in tents because they have lost their jobs, homes savings and hope. The destruction of the middle class is in itself an act of violence[

www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-6-2011 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
All I know is, the time is NOW for Americans to step up, but violence is not the way...Love is. That's why I'm starting a protest against the federal reserve system starting this July 4th (American Independence Day.) Check out the Facebook page, it's called "120 Days Imprisoned to End the Fed, or username "120DaysImprisoned."

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
I think it has already happened. Considering that there are thousands of people living in tents because they have lost their jobs, homes savings and hope. The destruction of the middle class is in itself an act of violence[

www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-6-2011 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

Given the current administration and the propaganda they spew, my biggest fear is that people won't overthrow their government. Instead they will place the blame on the rich who get to live comfortably, especially when there is only poor and rich and no room for the middle class. The Democratic Party attempts to drive a wedge further and further between classes in order to shift the blame from their failed politics to the greed of the rich. This would be disastrous IMO and poses a very real threat.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
What do you mean by "Race War"? you mean Whites v. Blacks? Brown V. Yellows? like seriously?

IF its gonna be a civil war, its most likely going to be sort of like Libya. A rebellion capturing cities and eventually states. then they would want independence, with states joining either side Millions of Men and Women being drafted and Millions of casualties its going to be bad. I think this time its going to be West V. East. West would want freedom and the East would try to keep them.

Thats IF theres going to be a civil war. IF. You can compare America to Rome, when Rome fell, the barbarians controlled the cities and pillages govt properties. all cities sort of became like Cold War Berlin's. I could see that, different Gangs OR Groups of Peoples (not necessarily race, but those who still have their sanity and want to keep it) controlling parts of a city.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianC

I think the only thing that might trigger violence is a severe food shortage. If people cannot eat, they become violent very quickly. This is what triggered the French revolution I believe.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I saw something interesting today.
Walmart puts out marked down meat at 3 here.
I was there at 3 so thought I'd see what they had. There were so many people waiting to see what was put out- maybe 6-7 groups with carts.

Ok, so they put it out, and people went up to start looking at it, and were complaining - LOUDLY. I heard stuff like "4.50 a pound marked down- that's STILL too much, are they crazy? "

All these people - strangers- started talking to each other, and they were ALL MAD about prices and the economy. Some guy said "Let's don't buy this, let's don't pay this!" and no one did. People that had something put it back and left.
I was just sort of standing there, taking it all in. It gave me some hope for Americans. Yes, the first thing is definitely that people have to start communicating, and when I hear strangers communicating their anger in the stores....I don't think it is a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all

See what this says??? The founding fathers wanted this 2 be a REPUBLIC not a democracy!!!
Republic = 4 the people
Democracy = 4 the sheeple
Time 2 wake up!!!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Very sad. I have noticed lately that people are buying more of the cheaper staples, eggs, pasta, etc. I think gardens are going to be back in style very shortly. Get a goat, a couple chickens and a plot of land and you can at least eat.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by wolveseyes

What is this call for civil unrest in America. First the ultra-Left is predicting social civil unrest because of the 2012 election and now msm or CNN is projecting Grecian riots in the streets of the U.S. because of the economic decline of America.

Fortunately or unfortunately according to your perceptive Americans have been so desensitized that we haven’t the raw passion of the rioting Europeans so I doubt that we will be rioting because the first Black president only served one term or because of the lack of good green jobs that he promised to save or create.

Unless of course the government take away our Iphones or our Ipods then there will be blood!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
To be fair, wolves wasn't calling for civil unrest but rather questioning the possibility of violence and revolution in the face of a declining economy. I agree with your statement about the iPhones though, even though I really wish it wasn't true.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wolveseyes

I believe it is inevitable. We are really two nations masquerading as one. And with a titanic demographic shift a sure thing (minorities to be the majority) , the old ways are screaming as loudly as they can.

Civil war, absent the aliens landing, is a sure bet.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

What the HELL are you babbling about? What an ignorant comment? Who is "you"? And pop culture is only watched by a small minority.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
So that means we'll experience a Second American Civil War? I mean we are increasingly seeing alot of tensions flaring

You will not see the "civil war"... it will be a Revolutionary War. People vs their Government. You are already seeing small protest and civil unrest occur. Most people right now are disregarding these little protest where people are being arrested for stupid things. Sadly these arrests are adding more fuel onto the fire. Once people feel like there is nothing left to lose, things will blow up.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

No you can actually research history and see what has happened in the past when there were similar circumstances. There is no record for massive outbreaks of violence during economic downturns. If you want to speculate against the historical record than that's your right but don't try to convince others of something you have no proof of.

At no point in the past have there ever been similar circumstances in the US.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The solution:

1) A new national non-profit to index/certify (annually) companies that are

a) not outsourcing (working with foreign companies is not the same as outsourcing, completely diff. things actually)
b) not continually cheapening their product (components would need to meet some established standards)... you can only make a cheeseburger so cheap before you're eating cardboard...
c) have

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

This never happened during the Great Depression so why would you think it would happen now?

At least 4 generation of urban poor have grown up with an ever expanding welfare state, largely a good thing, and thus have a greater feeling of entitlement to a share of society's pot, throw in drug addiction, materialism and the new criminal underclass/gang culture, created by the beginnings of a cut back in the welfare society from 1980, throw in illegal immigration and you have an exciting mix.

I look forward to wall to wall coverage on the news channels

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join