It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the chances the U.S. economy could eventually trigger violence in our country?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

You have all this advice for fixing America, and what is wrong with.. how about Canada? Why do Canadians project their insecurities on the U.S.? As long as you are pointing out the flaws of the U.S. you aren't noticing the same flaws in Canada?

Go watch Canadian Idol, and loose the judgmental attitude when you live in a country with sound leadership and no corporate domination.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I think it's possible; As some in the MSM have pointed out recently, many of the issues that the first Civil War was started over are yet to be resolved.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
reply to post by Ultraman2011

You have all this advice for fixing America, and what is wrong with.. how about Canada? Why do Canadians project their insecurities on the U.S.? As long as you are pointing out the flaws of the U.S. you aren't noticing the same flaws in Canada?

Go watch Canadian Idol, and loose the judgmental attitude when you live in a country with sound leadership and no corporate domination.

America's a democracy. If a citizen has an issue with something then they can and should voice their opinion. Of course, not everyone has to agree but if you believe nothings wrong with America then you need to hurry back to the tv before the commercial break ends.

If I had to focus on another countries failings as heavily as I pay attention to the wrongs in America I think I'd blow my brains out

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FrenchOsage

A friend and I had a discussion a few years ago pertaining to this topic. My position was if there was mass civil unrest in the US, our Military would not shoot civilians. His comment was "Once the order was given and not obeyed, the Squad Leader would put a bullet in the head of the closest to him that refused...then he would turn to the next and give the order again." I've never served in our Military, my friend is a decorated Viet Nam combat Vet. I trust his judgement over mine.
They probably would not WISH to fire on you, but I think they would if ordered to.

To answer the question posed in the Thread though, I think violence would be likely but not anything approaching Civil War. Random spontaneous violence would be quickly quashed. It takes leaders for angry people to become focused enough to attempt Civil War. Any leaders who may appear would be quickly identified and neutralized.

Sorry for the gap in between my quote and comment.
edit on 6/9/2011 by FrenchOsage because: New here

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The economy seems to be in a direct proportional relationship with the violence in any given nation. In the last 10 years vast sums of money have been accumulated by the warmongers and oil barons, this is the money that stops the violence. It might be taken back, violently.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

For a situation like that, I would point to what happened in Egypt; The military refused to fire on civillians and even stood up for them against the government security forces. Now, as you point out, the COs would probably start shooting non-complicit subordinates. I would like to think that the enlisted rank and file would hopefully stand up for what's right, or the COs would do the right thing in the first place and tell their commanders and the pentagon to stick it where the sun don't shine.

But we shall see; I don't think the US has much longer before the riots start to break out.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I believe the chances are quite high. Disappointing, but I have expected something like this to happen for a while now.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I don't believe the economy would Be the only cause for widespread violence in the US. Although it can certainly light the fuse....
We may see riots, protests and the likes but not on a national scale. The cause of a massive national uprising would come from the uncovering of a lie that is detrimental to all US citizens. To see this kind of violence ensue would require a catalyst of epic proportions. How does our govt cover up a lie? With another lie... This breaking point would have to be in our face with no deniable evidence.

People are too comfortable living in their own little worlds right now, take their candyland away and yes violence can evolve.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The End of Time is near. People have been saying this for 2000 years, since the last time Jesus tread this earth, but the prophets left prophecies to fortell the age this would happen. Jesus said "i have not come to do away with the Old Law (old testament) but to fulfill it. Up to the day he was crucified he had fulfilled 493 years of a 500 year prophecy. The last 7 years are yet to be fulfilled. These last 7 years are known in the Bible as the great Tribulation, in which a great deciever shall come and decieve the whole world. This will be a man of great power, and charisma, the kind of man who will do great things for dubious reasons but to the elect he shall fool them wholeheartedly.

The days we live in are the times recorded in the Book of Revelation, whereupon John of Patmos saw birds "on silver wings" (air planes) and "chariots of fire" (cars on highways at night with head and tailights ablaze). The seals are being broken right now in our age, the signs are in the bible and all around us today. From the animals dying en masse, to the waters of the seas turning blood red (caused by red tide, a red algae that poisons fish and other sea life) The book of Revelation tells of the days when the seas will turn bloodred and many animals will begin to die, and 1/4 of the people on earth will die out. The wars in the middle east are apart of this prophecy.

Read your Bibles, study the Book of Revelation, apply what you read to real world events going on today and if youre not saved you better get that way real fast. God will not spare any unbelievers his anger, he is coming to punish this world, and lift the curse our ancestors wrought in this world, for all of Creation groans to return to the way it was before the fall.

It is all there for you to read in Revelations, youve been warned, and when you stand before the white throne you will not be able to claim "lord i did not know! No one told me!" For you have been told.
edit on 9-6-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: spelling correction

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
It is all there for you to read in Revelations, youve been warned, and when you stand before the white throne you will not be able to claim "lord i did not know! No one told me!" For you have been told.
edit on 9-6-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: spelling correction

Now if God checks my history i'll be damned to hell, thanks a lot.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The current economic woes will only continue to get worse as planned. If and when Obama loses in 2012, there will be blood in the streets the likes of which America has never seen before. Martial Law will be enacted, a State of Emergency will be declared, and the current administration will be locked in place effectively blocking the seating of a new President. Obama will assume the position of Emperor claiming all the while that he promises to restore order and step down once the crisis has been resolved. And the former United States of America will be handed over to George Soros on a golden platter ushering in the age of the N.W.O.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by SpaDe_
A wise man once said "We are just three missed meals away from riots in the streets". If you think that line is not true just wait until the people currently receiving food stamps go to the store just to find out there is no money in their account. Riots would break out in every major city center, and spread across this country like a wildfire of apocalyptic proportions!
We are on a fast track to debt default in this country, on top of the Fed coming out and saying they can't just end QE2 which means QE3 is in the works, as well as unemployment numbers climbing. This all spells one thing, and it ain't good news.

This never happened during the Great Depression so why would you think it would happen now?

There are several answers to your question. First, lets look at society as a whole in the USA in 2011. We have more people today who are dependent on the government for food and support. Crime is more severe and rampant now than it ever has been.

Drugs, crime, etc. all have contributed to the moral decay of our country over the last 75 years. And quite frankly, there are less people today in control who have morals than there were 75 years ago.

Today's generation of 20 and 30 something's are mostly made up of those who have no moral responsibility. Ask anyone who owns a company and hires labor -- you can't find many decent hard working 20 something kids these days. They just think the world is to be handed to them, and few have social responsibilities.

The climate in America today is ripe for civil unrest. We have no leadership in government, first and foremost. And it starts there.

When we have American Presidents getting blow jobs in the oval office, that in and of itself is problematic. Would a man of 1935 ever disgrace the public office of the Presidency like we have today?

America has lost its moral compass. And without leadership, we are doomed to fail.

This isn't about being a republican or democrat. Its about morals and doing the right thing. Its about how power corrupts. Its about how money and greed have destroyed our society today.

So yes, we are on the cliff.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Actually it is 9 meals.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

In the Great Depression era people still felt good about putting in a hard days work, and didn't think twice about helping out a neighbor. In those days the community pulled together to make things happen, and make sure that everyone had a meal on their plate, and that everyone was doing their best to contribute to making the community a better place. Sadly that era died a horrible death shortly after the birth of all the entitlement programs the government put forward.

That is nostalgia. My dad was the oldest of 9 kids at the end of the great depression and his outlook was very different than the rosey "everything was better back in the day", ideology you are putting forth.
In fact, I'd say you are just making that up. It's something you've been told.

My family lived in a coal mining region for 5 generations, and when "the community" has nothing, the community can share as much of the nothing as they please and everyone still gets a big helping of nothing.

When the coal mines shut down, my grandfather started farming, since he was incredibly lucky to own his own land. Well the bank his home loan was issued from, went under, the assets were purchased by the defunct coal company along with most every other property in the town, and everyone including the mayor was given one month to pay off the loans in full or the coal company was going to foreclose. Well they foreclosed on nearly the entire town. And then rented the house back to my grandfather, which he couldn't pay for because he had no job.

So they scraped by on church charity and hunting and living in a house where the rent was just building up. The company had no interest in kicking people out. It was just waiting for corporate hand outs from the government to reopen the mine. They finally got the hand outs, and the mine reopened, and my grandfather got his job back at the mine, but now, he owed the mining company back rent for more than a year, and it took him 5 years of paying ever increasing current rent, and little bits of back rent, while raising 9 kids, before we was even clear of that debt. It took him another 25 years to buy and pay off the 4 room single story house on 1/8 of one acre that had once been 10 acres. He died no better off than he had been 25 years before. Except that now, all of his land had been taken by a single company that was only able to buy out the land, because of government hand outs that were not available for the regular man, only the business man.

The coal company however. Well it still owns the majority of Harlan county. Always has. Probably always will.

My dad left. Joined the air force. Became an electrical and mechanical engineer. Once my grandmother dies I'm pretty sure he is going to burn that house to the ground.

Greed is greed is greed. You can dress it up anyway you want, but I suspect that since you are posting on these forums, you aren't a millionaire. And you are espousing the values of those who would see to it that you grovel and struggle your entire life and the entire life of your children and grandchildren, just so that they can have a little more. For them, even owning it all would not be enough. Once they own it all, then they will reserve the right to take your life, because in their eyes, they are the chosen ones, they are the ones who are entitled to be better than their fellow man. Because that's just how it is, and how it has been.

So if you want to talk about entitlement. Grab some of that type of entitlement before you condemn the people who just want to eat once every day.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

THEY WILL DO NOTHING!!!!!You just don't get it do you. Lets call or write a stupid letter? REALLY? Thats the best you got? Most people know how this is gonna go down.....it won't be over tea and crumpets...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

They wouldn't be able to stop it. The military would crumble like a house of cards unless all the military were promised food and lodging. The brave men that have fought for this country know on our government is FULL of it. Go to you local VA and you will be dancing to a diff tune.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

actually with most if not all our military overseas

its the perfect time for "civil war" or "revolution" or "coup de tat".

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There will be blood. If the economy goes then...... WELCOME TO THE PLANET OF THE APES.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
This is a subject that hits me very hard
and for many reasons I have been unemployed for the last 7 months after leaving Wal-Mart to sell life insurance with a company that tanked due to the recession. I have put in thousands of applications over this period of time it seems like and half the responses are less than promising. Unemployment is expected to run out February of next year under a normal circumstances I would not be worried and confident in my ability to find a new career, but with the current situation and the lack of support and attention its receiving from our government my confidence has been hindered. I have never had an employer tell me that my resume was "to long" and "to impressive" those words reflect just how terrible our economy and its supposed growth really is. On MSNBC a few weeks back there was a post that expressed this situation and added more weight to it according to the report only "54,000" jobs were created in the last quarter and that does not account for the amount of jobs that were lost the very same quarter. In Boise Idaho we have had 3 plants close here the most recent XL Beef, leaving another 2,000+ People looking for answers and jobs. I do see the potential for violence because our government does not seem to be working the deficit grows each year, we slide farther into debt. When I was still at Wal-Mart I could not believe how many people in my own city had lost their jobs, homes, and their everyday lives people who lined the streets holding signs. But yet we have the money to send to Afghanistan to stabilize their government to help put them on the right track... it annoys me to see we care more about another nation than the very people that reside in our own!!!

Good luck to those that are in the same position as me.
~CJ

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I think if this summer stays hot, there will be protests imho

I was talking about this very thing the other day. With as hot as it's been already if it keeps up like this power companies won't be able to keep up with demand and we'll see power outages all over. With the tension in this country so thick you can cut it a few days or a week or two without power just might be what sets us off.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join