It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are all the Recent Volcanic Eruptions going to Effect the Climate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I was just wondering if all the recent volcanic activity is going to increase the CO2 emissions on the planet.
I am not an expert on this but given the few major eruptions this last year (Iceland and now Chile) it has me thinking about all the effects this will cause.
The weather has already been pretty extreme globally, is there any credible information as to how these recent eruptions will effect us all?

There is considerable debate on the role that humans play in changing global climate through both the burning of fossil fuels and the release of chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) gases. Some argue that human interaction poses less of a threat to our atmosphere than do natural processes, like volcanic eruptions. This places a great deal of importance on understanding the role of volcanic eruptions in affecting global climate change. Whatever the source, it is apparent that compositional changes in the earth's atmosphere generate three principal climatic effects:

THE OZONE EFFECT:

Intense sunlight in the stratosphere (above 12 km) produces bluish colored ozone (O3) by naturally breaking down normal oxygen molecules (O2) into two highly reactive oxygen atoms (O). Each oxygen atom then quickly bonds with an oxygen molecule to form ozone. Ozone absorbs UV radiation, and in the process ozone is changed back into an oxygen molecule and an oxygen atom. A balance exists in ozone destruction and production, so that an equilibrium concentration exists in the stratosphere. This equilibrium has probably existed throughout much of geologic time. Recently, however, an ozone hole has been detected in the stratosphere over Antarctica, presumably due to the atmospheric build up of ozone-destroying CFCs by humans. Ozone depletion has resulted in a greater penetration of ultraviolet radiation on the earth's surface, which is harmful to life on earth because it damages cellular DNA. The ozone effect does not appear to have a direct influence on global temperatures.

THE GREENHOUSE EFFECT:

Certain gases, called greenhouse gases (primarily carbon dioxide and water vapor; but also methane, N2O, and CFCs), allow short wavelength radiation from the sun (UV and visible light) to penetrate through the lower atmosphere to the earth's surface. These same gases, however, absorb long wavelength radiation (infrared), which is the energy the earth reradiates back into space. The trapping of this infrared heat energy by these greenhouse gases results in global warming. Global warming has been evident since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Most scientists attribute global warming to the release of greenhouse gases through the burning of fossil fuels.

THE HAZE EFFECT:

Suspended particles, such as dust and ash, can block out the earth's sunlight, thus reducing solar radiation and lowering mean global temperatures. The haze effect often generates exceptionally red sunsets due to the scattering of red wavelengths by submicron-size particles in the stratosphere and upper troposphere.

Recent Past Effects:

PINATUBO (1991) -- Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines on June 15, 1991, and one month later Mt. Hudson in southern Chile also erupted. The Pinatubo eruption produced the largest sulfur oxide cloud this century. The combined aerosol plume of Mt. Pinatubo and Mt. Hudson diffused around the globe in a matter of months. The data collected after these eruptions show that mean world temperatures decreased by about 1 degree Centigrade over the subsequent two years. This cooling effect was welcomed by many scientists who saw it as a counter-balance to global warming.

Link to Source

Sorry for the last minute post. I hit the wrong button after the title without posting the content.
But you get the gist of what I am trying to say here. . .

edit on 6/8/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

It will not affect the climate if you are willing to pay more taxes. If you are unwilling to pay more taxes, then global warming will ensue at an accelerated rate.

edit on 8-6-2011 by binkbonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I know that, historically, big volcanic eruptions have led to periods of climatic cooling. I'm not sure about the effects of gaseous emissions but the ash hanging around in the atmosphere reduces the amount of sunlight and probably affects the climate in other ways. I don't think that the volcanic eruptions that we've been seeing in recent times are quite big enough to have that much effect though.

peace
J

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
i got this email the other day

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell.

The volcanic eruption in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2emissions on our planet – all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress – it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow, and to synthesize into oxygen for us humans, and all animal life.

I know, it's very disheartening to realize that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of:

driving Prius hybrids,

buying fabric grocery bags,

sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project,

throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper,

putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir,

selling your SUV and speedboat,

vacationing at home instead of abroad,

nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle,

replacing all of your 50 cent light bulbs with $10.00 light bulbs...

well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon.

And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in all its YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year, think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognized 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years.

And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus human-caused climate change scenario.

Hey, isn't it interesting how they don't mention Global Warming any more, but just Climate Change - you know why?

It's because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that you might yet have an Emissions Trading Scheme "that whopping new tax“ imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that's for sure.

But hey, relax, give the world a hug and have a nice day!

PS: I wonder if Iceland is buying carbon offsets?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

LOL.. I agree with the sentiment - we are being conned by the PTB with all the climate change hysteria and all this carbon credits stuff is basically nonsense.
However, what the email neglected to note is that many of those actions listed aren't that much to do with CO2 reduction - it's about keeping our water supplies clean, reducing our water usage, reducing waste of finite resources, producing less rubbish and pollution that degrades and contaminates the environment & harms wildlife etc. It worries me that so often everything is focussed on the issue of CO2 - CO2 is a natural part of our atmosphere, it's what plants breathe, it may not be the problem it's been made out to be, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem - take the Gulf of Mexico for example...

peace
J
edit on 9-6-2011 by skjalddis because: typo

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Climate has been changing for 5 billion years... it will continue to change for 5 billion years.

There is nothing we can do about it.

new topics

top topics

join