It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncalled For Attacks On Moderators

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The place I am a mod at, if you are chosen to be a moderator, you have to create a new moderator profile, so you can still participate as normal. Moderators are like masked heros there.

One reason moderators posts go way down I will assume, is being a moderator is a lot of work! It does cut down on how much time you have to post if you take the mod job seriously.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
I think part of the problem BH, is even though they feel that way early on, over time it has to get to grate on them. And then they start feeling just what neformore and others have described. I don't fault them for it, it's understandable.

I don't exactly fault them for it either. I understand completely. I just think it's a shame. People come after me for various reasons too (being an Obama supporter, being pro-choice, being pro-gun, being a gay rights proponent or having a gold stripe around my post) and it grates on me after a while, too. If I make the choice to stop posting because of this, I think it's a shame. And I feel the same way about the mods.
It's a terrible shame we don't have more posts from debates, who I LOVE to debate!
I've actually seen a few mods posting recently and I'm reminded of the 'good old day's when I first joined - when ATS was like a beacon in the darkness to someone like me. I just want to encourage more mod participation on the board, whatever it takes. That's all.

Something like a generic ATS avatar with moderator, a moderator number or name, and that's all.

I think this is a great idea. Only the "Moderator Account" would do any real moderating. It could be one account to which they all have access or a generic sock puppet for each mod that has the same avatar and no name, just Moderator at the top.

If that would get them to post more, I'd be all for it. But when they post as themselves, they're still going to get the flack for their opinions.

Anyone else have ideas for solutions?

They could add something to the T&C.

15n.) Moderator Baiting: You will not engage in moderator baiting behavior (examples: "That's a terrible thing for a mod to say"! or "I can't believe ATS chose you to be a mod"!) while posting in any topical forum or discussion thread on the Websites. It will be considered off topic and your entire post may be removed. You will not alter other members or moderators names in order to insult or deride the member.

It's an idea... That would make it easy to just remove the offending line of the post. Or the Entire post.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/171b7f010a61.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Does it seem to anybody else, that almost the minute someone is made a mod, they disappear? Someone who is making 25 posts a day, becomes a Mod, then vanishes to logging in once a week?

Or is it just me?

It never stopped me.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I for one will not give any mod any more preferential treatment than any other member and I don't think they should expect it. But I understand that it's only human nature to kiss up to authority figures; clearly evidenced by the flags and stars anytime a mod post or starts a thread. And I openly admit I have problems with authority figures because it has been demonstrated here and everywhere else that power corrupts.
Cynical...you might say that!!

However we need cops or else "people like me" would pillage and plunder to our hearts content.

edit on 10-6-2011 by whaaa because: just because

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I didn't mean to be asking for preferential treatment for the mods. But I can see how it seems that way. I'm making a suggestion in hopes of getting them to post more. My preference would be that they didn't allow these snipes to deter their posting.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I appreciate everybody's responses in this thread. Even the hecklers.

Not all of us are out to get the mods when they post as members.

Doesn't mean we will never get miffed at you for bringing the hammer down though.

Seriously, hope to see you post a little more often.

And maybe SO and Springer will consider a few of the suggestions made in this thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by Klassified
I've noticed the beginnings of a disturbing trend lately on ATS. Attacking mods who are posting as members. What's worse is these attacks use the mods status as a personal attack.

"And you're a mod!?"
"You should be more _______ since you're a mod."
"They call you a mod!?"

It is noticeable, as are similar attacks on those with gold and silver status. It didn't take long. I noticed it within a day of the new system taking effect. Some people here are treating it as a bullseye.

Jealousy is very petty and unbecoming... but at the same time, it is a unique insight into the mindset of some conspiracy theorists here on the boards. They simply are not happy unless they are whining about how disenfranchised they are.

IRM :shk:
I get attacked with or without silver status!! But I relish a mental challenge, a poster who stoops to personal attacks has already shown their true colors.

Now, in general response, I recall a thread where a mod was really spouting off some what I considered to be truly misogynistic views within the thread. I was flabbergasted, and did argue with him, even tossing out the But youre a MOD and I expected more out of you. I guess it wasn't personal, although in the heat of battle it seems that way, because later the same MOD gave me applause, I was surprised. That taught me not to take these threads so personally, it really just is a debate, a mental exercise, and no one here is my enemy.

I myself think the MODS can handle themselves just fine.

And OP, it is summer school is out. I have been here for years, I really do not see any ratching up of MOD attacks or troll attacks, tbh.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

And from an even longer term perspective. It will spread. I promise you. Because when you become a little too lenient here because you think its not worth messing with, or its no skin off your teeth. It spreads to other things.

Mods today.
Gold and silver members tomorrow.
Noobs the day after that.
Female members after that.
And so on.

I disagree, I think those who wil attack will attack, and have you been in any of the social forum threads about feminism? Female members have been under attack so to speak for years, it is NOT a new thing. I think if posters notice an upswing in these behaviors, use the alert button, I use it all the time, and sometimes mods miss threads and trolls, so they do appreciate the alerts.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Thanks for your take on this. It's always good to get a perspective a few degrees off from my own.

I have seen some of those comments. Joking is one thing. But seeing someone as beneath us because of their gender, race, etc. is just disturbing.

because I can't star you.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is a kiss butt thread if I ever saw one!
Just teasing.
I'm sure the mods can take good care of themselves.
No worries about them getting beaten up on.
They have their little red buttons and aren't afraid to use them.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

kiss butt hunh? That's cute .

In all honesty I would LOVE to find out more about the mods , and the only way I see how that can be accomplished to some degree is to read how they view the topics posted here,as well as starting their own threads.

I also reserve the right to totally disagree with them on certain viewpoints, and let them know why.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join