It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncalled For Attacks On Moderators

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I've noticed the beginnings of a disturbing trend lately on ATS. Attacking mods who are posting as members. What's worse is these attacks use the mods status as a personal attack.

"And you're a mod!?"
"You should be more _______ since you're a mod."
"They call you a mod!?"

The list could go on and on.
I'm not advocating special treatment for mods when they post as members. But in essence, they are already getting special treatment because of the attacks using their status against them. What are we, third graders here? How long before we attack someone because they're a gold member? Or a silver member? This is not a good trend.

For those who aren't already aware, When mods contribute to a thread, they're doing it as a member, not a moderator. Mods don't moderate the same threads they participate in.

I happen to appreciate the input our moderators contribute to the topics here at ATS. Even if I don't always agree with what they say as a member. But some of them don't post as often as they used to. I understand part of it is because of their duties. But I can also see other reasons they may not want to post at this point.

Lets give it a break folks. They really don't need reminding of their status, and they don't need to be held to an unreasonable standard anymore than owners, admins, or gold and silver members do.
edit on 6/8/2011 by Klassified because: ETA

Obviously the mods felt this was board business. Thanks for correcting it.

edit on 6/8/2011 by Klassified because: ETA

edit on 6/8/2011 by Klassified because: Redaction

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
But... But... This website is a government operation... And.. They're part of it!

[Insert picture of townsfolk carrying pitchforks with funny quote at bottom Here]

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Agreed. Mods are people first, then mods. They have a right to
their opinion, even if it is wrong in some people's opinion. Go after
the message, not the messenger if you are not in agreement with them.

link   
It's normal for humans to complain and moan. Human nature. No biggie really.

I don't know what excuse our alien members will have though

link   

S and F for u ...... are u a MOD? ... Just kidding.

i wanted to give u a start for this.. but i dnt see stars here

edit on 8-6-2011 by smartbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2011 by smartbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Here, here! I give you an Internet toast. *toast*

Repeat after me, folks: Mods are members, not food. (Do ya get the joke?)

In all seriousness, though, I've seen it as well, and it's just not right.

Sometimes the people who are there to make sure we play nice in the sandbox with the other kids want to play in the sandbox, too. And just because you don't like their sand castle doesn't give you the right to squish it or bop them in the nose.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78

Agreed. Mods are people first, then mods. They have a right to
their opinion, even if it is wrong in some people's opinion. Go after
the message, not the messenger if you are not in agreement with them.

Exactly. Something like this left unchecked will spread to other things. I can disagree with the mods as much as anyone, in or out of a thread. But it seems here lately some people just want to shut them up, and drive them out of a thread.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Members seem to forget that we are a community and the schoolyard mentality needs to be subdued.

Sometimes it is better to just be a peon.....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Episode II: Attack of the Trolls

I think it's a little obvious why this happens, and I foresee no end to it (sorry mods).

We see it all the time, people attacking/trolling others because of difference in opinion and ideals. A person who conflicts with the mod has a greater sense of spite knowing that mod should be aware of what they deem "common sense". Because mods are not always gold/silver content contributors, they think it's an attack they can make without the community siding against them.

Also, there's always those who no matter what, choose to side themselves against the establishment, no matter the social structure.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
Members seem to forget that we are a community and the schoolyard mentality needs to be subdued.

Sometimes it is better to just be a peon.....

Agreed. Problem is, I've already seen a remark made to a gold member using their status against them. Right now it's mods, tomorrow it could be anyone who has been here more or less than a certain amount of time. Or, who knows...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Tis all good...we should remember that we are a growing community with people from all over the globe. Sometimes it takes awhile for one to realize that civility breeds intelligent conversation...and the web is a big place with people who are comfortable with the laxation of other websites...

Onward and Forward...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well, I have already been labeled a "people like you" by a mod. It does work both ways now doesn't it?
But let's be realistic, in a heated discussion, emotions run hot and things get said that perhaps you may regret.
I have done this many times and have the red flags to prove it. There used to be red warning flags and point deductions when you stepped to far out of line and there used to be one mod that took special delight in punishing me. And I've been around long enough to see some members become mods and be overwhelmed with their new found power and turn into [profanity of the worst sort]!

But if the passion and expressiveness gets taken out of ATS and just becomes nice nice then what's the point.

I can take and even enjoy the mean spirited jabs at me, that are bound to occur, especially when discussing politics.

If you can't run with the big dogs; stay on the porch!!

edit on 8-6-2011 by whaaa because: pt PT pt

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
They are never shutting me up. You guys know that.

The thing is that the mods here DO have opinions. They would like to share more but posts like, "This guy said this and he's a moderator"? really turn a lot of the staff off of posting. They care about the site. They don't want to cause problems, only solve them.

Btw, just checked the T&C again. It didn't say anything about staff having to agree with you. You'd be surprised. We seldom agree with each other.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You again ?

Shaddup !!!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget
I think you need a tissue, theres something on your nose that needs wiping.
What a suck hole!

Yeah, I was waiting for that comment to show up. Trust me, I've had my own run-ins with the staff. Albeit few. But I don't attack their person, and hold them to unreasonable standards as posting members. Doesn't mean I won't debate with them like I would anyone else though.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Hmmmm. Just what is a "people like you" Whaaa?

I understand what you're saying. And I wouldn't say you're wrong. But if personal attacks on mods, or members for that matter go unaddressed, it will spread to other "types" of members. I've seen this stuff in real life, I know where it leads.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think the Mods can take care of themselves. Having the means to put any of us fledglings righ outt of existence.
I can imagine the amusement on thier faces at some of the cockyness.

edit on 8-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by whaaa

Hmmmm. Just what is a "people like you" Whaaa?

A malcontent, a troublemaker, that absolutely despises preferential treatment of the chosen few and elitist abuse of power. And I'm not afraid to express it.
Granted, now I use subtle sarcasm instead of outright insults; because above all I am a gentleman, a man of wealth and taste....

Pleased to meet you...
edit on 8-6-2011 by whaaa because: code pink

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Damn. Gotta listen to some Stones now.

Maybe some Creedence after.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join