It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinion on good and evil.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The title is self explanatory. What are your opinions of good and evil? What is good and what is evil? What do they mean? I'd like to see them.
edit on 5/14/20111 by Warpthal because: Didn't explain purpose

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

Good is derived from evil. Higher values are derived from materialism and selfishness. Evil is the father of good: without good, evil still exists but not vica versa.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

What is good and what is evil?

Well, let's use your OP as an example of each...

The way it is now - evil, as there is only a demand for information, while offering nothing in terms of your own opinion...

Now, if you had started your thread with a point of view on each, and then asked for our's - well good!...

So, there...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
In my opinion, 'good' and 'evil' by human terms are merely perceptions that we create.

For example, I feel as though no one is completely 'good' and no one is completely 'bad'. Everyone has 'positive' and 'negative' traits about them, and some of those traits manifest more strongly than others. Humans are creatures who love labeling things, it's how we acquire knowledge and gain a sense of familiarity. This very method of acquiring and accepting knowledge however, has deeply misconstrued our perception of our fellow man.

Imagine there is a bank robber, and this bank robber has you at gunpoint, and he's continuously threatening you with violent outbursts. If I asked you how you perceived that man in that moment, you may say he was acting in a 'bad' or 'evil' way. Does his action, however, define him as a person?

We tend to have reasoning behind why we behave the way we do, and hurt people hurt people. We all perceive trauma in different ways. Some express it, some hold it in. Trauma for some makes them better people in the midst of perseverance, and for others, not so much. I think good and evil are too blatant of terms, as neither exist completely, 100%, in the human behavior and consciousness. Human characteristics are just too complex to label in such a broad way.

What is normal? Normal is different for everyone, because everyone is different. If there is no normal, then peoples' perceptions of good and bad are going to be different, because each label the actions, opinions, etc. of a person or people in a different way.

Humans are a mixed bag of ideas, actions, and potential, both 'good' and 'evil'.

edit on 8-6-2011 by DeviantMoon because: Grammar.

edit on 8-6-2011 by DeviantMoon because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2011 by DeviantMoon because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2011 by DeviantMoon because: Less clutter.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What about the definition of Normal.

you could use this phrase about the word "normal".

Normal is what everyone else is and you are not.

edit on 8-6-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Evil is a made up Christian word. I even think it's one of the most fitting anagrams: Live.
To call something evil is being lazy towards the understanding of the human condition.

Good is when two or more organisms are happy/content with the results of a situation: Find a worm drowning in a puddle, save him by tossing him in a bush, a frog eats the worm and is happy, you walk away feeling content that you helped.
edit on 8-6-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
good and evil are just human perceptions of actions taken...there really is no such thing as good or evil...positive and negative would possibly help explain things a little better for me as there are positive actions and negative actions all which are perceived as good or evil in the human mind...but even an action that was supposed to be positive could bring about negative effects and be viewed as evil even if that was not the intention...so my opinion is...there no such thing

Just do the best with what ya got in this life

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f99c86d73989.jpg[/atsimg]

It's pictured here very well from an Indian perspective

It represents the idea of opposites. As human beings, we are temporarily inhabiting spacetime, or what is often called in comparative mythology, "the field of action". It is the field of action partly because of the tension of opposites: good and evil, dark and light, male and female, up and down, before and after, creation and destruction, left and right (This is why it’s almost silly when people ask “why is there evil in the world”. We might as well ask, why is there “up” in the world. Pairs of opposites ARE characteristic of “life”). This is also represented well in the Yin and Yang symbol.

The Bodhisattva, or a person who has achieved Enlightenment, or Nirvana, operates in the world, but beyond the pairs of opposites. He is completely free from attachment to the world, as a result. The idea being that the ultimate ground of being is beyond all pairs of opposites.

This represented in Indian art above wonderfully. Two of the heads, which are on the sides, are facing left and right, and are male and female, representing the pairs of opposites and the field of spacetime. But, the head in the center cannot be easily identified as male or female. It's more a face of a "god", with an expression of complete serenity, being beyond the tension of the pairs of opposites. That's where the Bodhisattva lies - right down the center, "in between", or beyond, the pairs of opposites of good and evil, and all the rest.

Anyhow, one view on good and evil, from an Indian perspective.
edit on 8-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It's a brain abnormality. The frontal lobe isn't fully developed in "most" evil doers. Then there are those that just choose to be evil and then that is by choice. Being evil is a whole lot easier than being good.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
It's a brain abnormality. The frontal lobe isn't fully developed in "most" evil doers. Then there are those that just choose to be evil and then that is by choice. Being evil is a whole lot easier than being good.

?!?

Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to rob a bank?

Do you?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I think they are a temporary state of being...and they are subjective as everyones opinions differ from what is evil and what is not...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Good and evil can be complicated. My sense of good and evil is based upon hurting people and a want to avoid hypocrisy. Killing someone hurts them and their family, so it's bad. It gets complicated when you start considering things like abortion, though.

My answer to the question of, "Your wife is dying of cancer, and you cant afford the medication. However, one day you see a vial of the very medication your wife needs falling out of a delivery truck. Should you take the medicine and cure your wife or turn the medicine in? And if you do take the medicine, is it wrong?", is as follows:

I should take that medication and give it to my wife. Taking the medicine is technically stealing and therefore wrong, but I see letting my wife die a slow and painful death when I have the cure in my hands as much more morally unsound.

My view is that good and evil, right and wrong are absolute, but sometimes such things simply don't matter.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Evil is acts that humans engage in that is precipitated by biological urges. Good is acts that humans undertake to become greater than what their current biological urges define them as, or evil is the old animalistic urges and good is the desire to overcome those urges.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Good is something that is done in a noble or benevolent way. Evil is something not just done for yourself but eveil destroy's self. something that is done in a maelevolent way. I wonder would people say vengence is evil? I think also ther eis a lack of caring in evil. Where you are not ignorrant of the fact you may be hurting someone and you know in full knowledge what you are doing you just lack the empathy

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap

Originally posted by chrismicha77

?!?

Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to rob a bank?

Do you?

LMAO...well if I thought I could get away with it...maybe.

top topics

join