It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adventures in Lucid Dreaming -- Share Ideas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I recently got back into lucid dreaming for the first time in months/years, and I'm looking for ideas to explore while dreaming.

One of my favorite things to do when I realize I'm dreaming, is to fly, of course! You just have to give yourself some "excuse" in order to believe you can actually do it. In my case I just imagine I have some kind of device around my waist and I control the direction I fly by pulling on the left or right side, or both, with different degrees of force, and it acts as a "throttle," and up I go. But that isn't necessary and you can do it however you choose.

I like scoping out landscapes from the air, and then trying to compare them to Google maps when I wake up, but my recall isn't clear enough to make hard judgments, especially when I start being critical of myself and second-guessing things.

Your subconscious will automatically create dream scenes for you, just like it does when you're not lucid. I love exploring these too. There's all kinds of surreal imagery, surreal architecture, beautiful nature scenes that act on all senses. One time I was flying along a winding back road in the country, running alongside old farm fields lined with fences like you see here,

and I came across a white 1954 Chevy Corvette convertible, with bright red seats, in perfect condition, sitting in a field next to the road. It looked just like this:

The thought hadn't even occurred to me so it obviously arose from my subconscious, offering me a new toy to play with! I gave up flying when I saw that, and took it for a spin on the old country road instead.

I've come across figures in my dreams that I interpret as guides. I've asked them various things but never seem to get a straight answer. One of the most memorable encounters like this was an old Native American with a shopping cart I encountered while I was lucid dreaming around a grocery store and being amazed at the amount of detail I could create by focusing on specific items on the shelves. There was more detail than in waking consciousness! But anyway I saw this old Native American guy pushing around a shopping cart, looking at me, his face covered in deep wrinkles, and I said to him, "Do you know that I'm dreaming right now?", and he just gave me this look, with this expression that seemed to say, "Do you realize that I realize that you're dreaming??"
My subconscious one-upped me again! It seems like the "energy" surrounding these figures, when you pay attention to them, speaks louder than any words they may say. At least that seems to be what "they" (my subconscious) may be trying to make me realize...

I've had dreams where my vision became convex, and I seemed to be able to see in 3/4 of a complete 360-degree sphere. Even with "normal" vision you can instantly turn to focus on whatever your attention goes to, though.

Just before I woke up today I was having a dream that I was staying at my grandmother's, and I looked out of a window and noticed several cars in the driveway, and then noticed my own car was up in the woods, crashed into a tree. Then I noticed another copy of my car crashed into another tree! That did it for me, and I instantly realized I was dreaming. While I was making this realization a group of commandos seemed to be coming out of the woods with guns in hand and heading for the front door. Since I just realized I was dreaming I wasn't the least bit concerned, met them at the door, took one of their guns and aimed it back at them, and all the weapons turned into toy firearms that only make automatic clicking sounds when you pulled the trigger.

Share your ideas of things to explore in lucid dreaming here with others. All of these are just a rather tame tip of the iceberg in my opinion, and literally anything is possible in the dream state. I've always wanted to go into a meditation while in the dream state, but can't seem to gather enough energy to do this without being interfered with by subconscious processes still going on around me.

What else have you guys done, or would like to explore while lucid dreaming?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

I like the lucid dreams with girls, all dressed up. They like me, they think I'm neat.

Last time I could smell perfume. A floral scent, not overpowering. I can use a herb to help with this. Astragalus root, two 470mg caps taken at bedtime, non standardized. (not for those with autoimmune disorders)

I have flown, but over large canyons. Go to the edge and fall off and I am flying.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
ooo very interesting topic - lets see....

I like to pull in people I haven't seen for a long time and if its not too morbid for you, I have a tendency to pull up people who died, its kind of amusing though, often after I pull them up in the dream, I sometimes forget I'm dreaming and get mad that they lied about being dead

I also like to build really intricate houses, particularly on or around large bodies of water

its also a great place to be promiscuous! no reprecussions :X

um..... never been much for traveling, so yeah, thats pretty much all I do in dreams

I guess I'm not much of a scientist either cause I don't try to fly or defy other natural laws - I think I'm one of the only people in the world who never had the dream they were falling though

In most cases when I realize I'm dreaming, I just like to explore my surroundings, get a good look at things - so that I can try to figure out later why they came up on their own - I have really long text files I cross reference with www.dreamdictionary.com - the devil is in the details

the only thing I really want to add to my dreams that I haven't yet been able to do is read stuff - like if I see a letter on the table, I can't read it, if I'm looking at street signs, I can't read them, that sort of thing - if I try to read it, I can feel my mind trying to actually write it, make it up, you dig? you dig!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am a regular lucid dreamer, every night infact.

I am often found flying around in the sky or sometimes driving fast cars and motorcycles, in most of my lucid dreams I have a large mansion and I can go there at will and I usually go in the garage and there are different cars in there all the time, lol.

I have also had situations like the OP where I will question the other dream occupants and say, "do you know that this is a dream?" and I will often get a smile which seems like they know something more, that prehaps it isn't as I seem and it's infact a deeper level of reality.

Exploring the dream is something I do a lot but has anyone ever had this scenario... your going down a street and try and go down a certain area and you keep getting blocked by certain obstacles?

A nice lucid dream I had the other night was where I was an experimental aircraft and I was flying over a military base, I don't know where... and then all these ground based machine guns start shooting at me and I speed of at about 10 times the speed of sound and then have various rockets trying to shoot me down, then I had to fly up out of their range and I ended up in space looking down at the earth. That was an interesting dream!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just recently I began researching lucid dreaming in depth, and have tried doing it from time to time. I have had moderate success with it, though I generally have lucid dreams when I'm not trying to have them (which obviously can make preparedness for such an event rather difficult). In the few instances in which I successfully lucid dreamt, I skipped the cliche aspect of flying (though it is great fun!), and met straight up with my spirit guide on a higher realm to ask for advice.

I have gotten to the point in which every time I do lucid dream, I automatically consult something higher, or ask questions about my waking life in hopes for answers. In doing this, I have gotten quite a lot of insight and I recommend anyone who is interested in lucid dreaming, to definitely try meeting up with your 'higher self', as it can be a life-changing event!

Also, I've heard of people attempting to astral project whilst lucid dreaming, as it makes it easier (or so I have heard).

As interesting as lucid dreaming is, I have noticed that I have been restrained when trying to do certain things. When asking questions of huge importance, I tend to either not get a clear answer, or completely forget the answer when I wake up. I figure it is because I am not meant to know at this stage in my consciousness.

When I become better at lucid dreaming, I will most definitely try to expand my horizons in the dreamscape. This thread is thankfully providing lots of ideas for an aspiring lucid dreamer!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Lucid dreaming is fun. I do believe in a theory that the subconscience hold all of man's awnsers to a certain degree. You should explore things which people seek, such as awnsers to complicated questions and other things.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
In my case I just imagine I have some kind of device around my waist and I control the direction I fly by pulling on the left or right side, or both, with different degrees of force, and it acts as a "throttle," and up I go. But that isn't necessary and you can do it however you choose.

Keep exploring how to use archetypal structures for control. Everything in dreams is an archetype, and if you can learn to recognize what they are, or even just realize they are essentially archetypes, then you can use them to you advantage. Archetypes that are well defined and stable are the best to use for control, otherwise you get unexpected results. This is a key component to dream control and understanding dreams, practice this.

...amazed at the amount of detail I could create by focusing on specific items on the shelves. There was more detail than in waking consciousness! ... It seems like the "energy" surrounding these figures, when you pay attention to them, speaks louder than any words they may say.

You discovered another vital rule of dreaming, The more attention you give something, the more related detail it creates, and the more real it becomes. This can be a blessing and a curse. Be careful not to let your attention get pulled into attention traps like this. The more you look, the more you see, the more you see, the more you look, things can quickly spiral out of control. This is another essential control technique to practice.

So congrats, you've discovered half of all there is to dream control.

The other two rules being:
Everything requires your attention to exist
Emotions have an powerful influence on your surroundings.

You want something to explore? Explore those 4 aspects of dreaming. But combining those 4 rules, you will be able to accomplish anything in your dreams.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

Get ready..... A couple of days ago someone posted a dream where he was talking to Obama. I tried to interpret his dream for him and wondered why there are so few big shots in my dreams.

Went to sleep that night and who should appear?! The fearless one, the president as a house guest in my dream. He didn't seem to like it and made a couple of faces but wasn't rude. Then he left. He was driving a four door sedan.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
the only thing I really want to add to my dreams that I haven't yet been able to do is read stuff - like if I see a letter on the table, I can't read it, if I'm looking at street signs, I can't read them, that sort of thing - if I try to read it, I can feel my mind trying to actually write it, make it up, you dig?

I've had the exact same experience, and it can be frustrating because in waking reality I get a lot of information from reading books. I've also had dreams where I was sitting in front of computers (not lucid though) and been unable to read any actual letters but I still get a sense of what is being said anyway.

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08
I have also had situations like the OP where I will question the other dream occupants and say, "do you know that this is a dream?" and I will often get a smile which seems like they know something more, that prehaps it isn't as I seem and it's infact a deeper level of reality.

This really is one of the most intriguing things to me. In the Huna tradition, Kahunas regard the subconscious as being equivalent to a child in its mentality and behaviors, yet it does seems immensely knowledgeable and intelligent, in some ways that the conscious mind can't parallel.

reply to post by The Cusp

Thanks for the pointers. The thing I seem to struggle most with in my dreams is trying to bring all of this to my full conscious awareness, while I am dreaming. There are always things I seem to forget as I awaken into whatever is already happening in my dream.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

What else have you guys done, or would like to explore while lucid dreaming?

i actually meditate. The visual nature of the dream state is quite an interesting one to "be" in. Also, "active" meditations take on a different context while in that state. Ones i personally enjoy are visualizing myself as light (like a star) and also throughout the various scales that we observe (atomic, molecular, regional, planetary, galactic, etc).

Flying is great fun though. Never gets old... Do you flap your arms like a bird or fly as an airplane?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I haven't explored the ocean depths which doesn't seem like it'd be that hard, only it'd be pitch black.

My lucid dreaming ability has really deteriorated. I go lucid about once a week now and my recall is pretty poor.

Lately I've had a lot of fun dreams with a lot of people in them, usually at a party or a school of sorts. I know I had fun but I don't remember too well. Sometimes semi-lucid.

One thing that is awesome to dream about, someone talked about the deceased. Well try to have a dream of a deceased pet, or your pet you have now. It is fun to play in dreams and go for walks or whatever but think how awesome it would be if your favorite pet was with you! Just call them from around a corner and imagine them running up to you, around it.

One thing that would be cool would be to try and fly to the sun, then fly into it. I've always wanted to kill myself in a dream and this might kill two birds with one stone, lol. I've died a lot in dreams and I can assure you you don't die in real life when this happens!

I've dreamt of walking on the moon once, it was a very cool feeling. Had one where I worked for a mining operation on mars and alien ships saved a group of us who get stranded. We were stranded because a comedian on board was so funny, he knocked the military pilots off of their discipline - he woke them up from their brainwashing and they forgot how to operate the spaceship and just went crazy

Flown past Jupiter, into outer space where I found a world that was 90% water and wanted to fly down there and try to meet someone, but I got distracted by these obsidian asteroids and chased them out to the middle of nowhere.

Fought aliens in space. Dominated them as their bullets couldn't hurt me (much) and I was shooting laser shots out of these guns I somehow had. Then I decided to fly into one of their ships to see what one looked like. When I got to the ship it became tiny, so small I couldn't fit in there, and I couldn't get in or rip it open or anything.

I don't really know what would get me excited about dreaming again but I think at some point in my life, down the road I'm going to give up the usual entertainments and focus on dream related stuff in all my spare time - sleeping unregulated and journalling/meditating/going for walks/and reading and basically nothing else. Some sweet day.

I truly believe that dreaming has little to do with mind power and more important is a willingness to dream journal. The only reason I ever had so much success with it was because when I was learning lucid dreaming I would make myself get up after every dream even if it was 3 in the AM and journal it to every detail I recalled. This is why I'm not concerned about my decline in lucid dreaming and picking it back up later in life, and why I think anyone can do it if they really put the effort in.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

I stole a helicopter and crashed it in an open field. Was arrested and put on a train. When I got to the detention facilities, everyone was trying to force me to take some vaccinations.

So all these doctors were coming at me with syringes and I kept ducking out of the way. It got ridiculous like a wacky kung fu movie. Then a bunch of tough guys showed up and wiped the floor with the guys with the syringes. This was a lucid dream.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
the only thing I really want to add to my dreams that I haven't yet been able to do is read stuff - like if I see a letter on the table, I can't read it, if I'm looking at street signs, I can't read them, that sort of thing - if I try to read it, I can feel my mind trying to actually write it, make it up, you dig? you dig!

I can read just fine, only thins is if I try to reread what I've just read, it's never the same. Even looked up the lotto numbers in a newspaper while dreaming, but I double checked them while attempting to memorize them and they had changed. I could only remember a couple numbers when I woke, but got 2 of them right on my ticket, Not enough to win anything, but still pretty cool.

Originally posted by sinohptik
i actually meditate. The visual nature of the dream state is quite an interesting one to "be" in. Also, "active" meditations take on a different context while in that state. Ones i personally enjoy are visualizing myself as light (like a star) and also throughout the various scales that we observe (atomic, molecular, regional, planetary, galactic, etc).

Meditation in dreams is awesome, because you get feedback from the dream environment on how you are doing. The dream it's self changes and your level of concentration changes. It's so much more gratifying than trying to meditate in real life.

Originally posted by Novise
I don't really know what would get me excited about dreaming again but I think at some point in my life, down the road I'm going to give up the usual entertainments and focus on dream related stuff in all my spare time - sleeping unregulated and journalling/meditating/going for walks/and reading and basically nothing else. Some sweet day.

How about shared dreaming? If that doesn't get you excited, I don't know what will. It's possible, I've done it, confirmed it with other people. And there is nothing more fun than dream combat against another person. Fighting dream characters sucks because the best way to defeat them is to ignore them. With other dreamers, you want to capture their attention and distract them.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow havent had a good one since maybe 12 but had them all the time at that age and i miss them oh so so much,

ya i would fly but not well i would do the arm flapping thing and up i would go. I guess i was to young to think of contraptions to get me around. or i would be weightless and run and jump which is really fun to run 80mph and then jump up a five story building with no problem.

or and i know its childish but i was 12 but when i would be aware that i was dreaming and go on a destruction rampage, i would bust windows of of building break stuff.

But heres where my lucid dreaming gets weird i had nightmares 6 out of seven days and sometimes i would have lucid dreams while i was having nightmares, so you know i would have a talk with my brain ok brain its another nightmare and this one seems scary i need a machine gun; and would procede to tell my brain i wanted one. It would manifest but without bullets! LOL

But having the lucid dreaming during nightmares caused me not to fear them so i still have a good nightmare you know the spooky senarious maybe screaming i have alot of dreams with ZOMBIES and i hate zombie movies not cause im scared they just bore me.

Oh and once i had a lucid dream that i was in the past not caveman but not roman era neither it was maybe 3,000 b.c. in what felt like a very small village and i mean 5 huts made out of stone and grass roofs. It was very serene and i remember thinking what the hell, and i was wearing a green kelt of some short. I remember thinking how clean everything looked and how comfertable a kelt is.

oh well just my 2 cents

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow havent had a good one since maybe 12 but had them all the time at that age and i miss them oh so so much,

ya i would fly but not well i would do the arm flapping thing and up i would go. I guess i was to young to think of contraptions to get me around. or i would be weightless and run and jump which is really fun to run 80mph and then jump up a five story building with no problem.

or and i know its childish but i was 12 but when i would be aware that i was dreaming and go on a destruction rampage, i would bust windows of of building break stuff.

But heres where my lucid dreaming gets weird i had nightmares 6 out of seven days and sometimes i would have lucid dreams while i was having nightmares, so you know i would have a talk with my brain ok brain its another nightmare and this one seems scary i need a machine gun; and would procede to tell my brain i wanted one. It would manifest but without bullets! LOL

But having the lucid dreaming during nightmares caused me not to fear them so i still have a good nightmare you know the spooky senarious maybe screaming i have alot of dreams with ZOMBIES and i hate zombie movies not cause im scared they just bore me.

Oh and once i had a lucid dream that i was in the past not caveman but not roman era neither it was maybe 3,000 b.c. in what felt like a very small village and i mean 5 huts made out of stone and grass roofs. It was very serene and i remember thinking what the hell, and i was wearing a green kelt of some short. I remember thinking how clean everything looked and how comfertable a kelt is.

oh well just my 2 cents

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see what dream abilities people have

I have quite a few and I am always inventing new one's to use!

I feel there is definately some form of physics at play during lucid dreaming, does anyone else know what I mean? and feel this?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Meditation in dreams is awesome, because you get feedback from the dream environment on how you are doing. The dream it's self changes and your level of concentration changes. It's so much more gratifying than trying to meditate in real life.

i do not view meditation while awake any less intriguing or gratifying than while asleep
What do you mean by "feedback (..) on how you are doing" and "level of concentration changes?" i view the totality of the dream to be "myself," and if i am "thinking" about "concentration," or anything else, it is one of my personal red flags that one system (usually the mind) is funneling the experience of the other systems through its filter (awake or asleep). There is a chance we view meditation quite differently!

To be blunt, at this point, i let my dreams come freely and prefer not to "lucidly" dream in the context i knew previously, as all that would happen was to get deeper into the maze and illusions of my own mind. So, when i "lucid dream" intentionally, it is done sitting up and initiated through meditation. i start the "process" when i am awake, and carry it over into "sleep." It is a ceremony of sorts.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
When I finally master lucid dreaming, I will finally experience my inner-most fantasy of being a lightsaber and Force-wielding Jedi Master in a large scale, Star-Wars Jedi versus Harry Potter/Hogwarts wizard battle taking place somewhere in the grassland regions of Middle Earth... the Green Hills of the Pinnath Gelin perhaps.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Wow this thread has helped me recall so many lucid experiences I'd completely forgotten about, or had never recalled to begin with; some as far back as probably ~10 years ago. I'll have to share my own experiences once I'm not at work and have more time on my hands, thanks OP.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

In almost all my lucids lately, I try to tell the DCs it's a dream. I either do this in a subtle way or I say it outright. There are people that I know dream regularly that I see in dreams regularly. So I sort of do try for that when it occurs to me. I would think if I ever had a shared dream it would be with them. But nobody in the dream is ever aware. Now I know that you can have a shared dream and the other person may not go lucid, may not remember, etc. Sometimes I think this has happened with my friends, or at least for my half, my mind is accurately depicting what they'd be dreaming about - in other words, I am in some way in and exploring their dream world/mind.

I'd get involved on a forum and get into a shared dreaming group IF I was dedicated to dreaming and dream journalling atm. I'm not going to waste people's time if I'm only going to halfway try. Maybe sometime down the road when I'm more focused on dreaming I will try it.

Other then that, if shared dreaming works as it has been described, then much like astral projection. It basically happens every night, we just don't know it. It's never about whether things happen or not, amazing things, etc. it always comes down to were we aware enough to realize what amazing things have happened.

If you think about it, on the subconcious level there is nothing one dreamer has that another doesn't. There are "shared dreams every night" between all 6 billion of us. If one can do it, so can another, it just comes down to what you are aware of happening. Does that make any sense as to why it's not so enticing? Here I am hoping that my subconcious will lead the way, as it is now I just bore myself lol. And maybe it's the way I'm approaching things and looking at them, but I gotta let this take it's course and learn from it what I will.

Sometimes I guess it's enough to just know that that magical world of unlimited possibilities is there, even when I'm not acutely aware of it.

I've had dreams where it seemed others were sharing it, they were into the plot of the dream, not fully lucid. One was semi-lucid and learned to fly on his own. (I was flying everyone up into the sky and felt the burden drop, and I realized he was flying himself) I said, "Oh good you are flying on your own." and told the others, "In a few weeks you'll all be flying on your own." I haven't had a undeniable shared dreaming experience where both people are lucid, but I've seen enough to know that it's possible and can believe it to an extent.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Novise because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join