It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Can Discern Between Two Quantum States, Research Shows

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

There is A LOT of evidence, even within the academic literature, that consciousness can exist and persist separate from a live body.

I would have to see some of this academic evidence before accepting this claim, I’m afraid. Would you please supply some links, or citations of offline material (author, title, publisher, date)? Many thanks.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Decoherence is increasingly falling the way of the flat earth theory. Last year a quantum machine was built, large enough to see with the naked eye, that clearly showed quantum motion above the atomic scale.

Physicists Andrew Cleland and John Martinis from the University of California at Santa Barbara and their colleagues designed the machine -- a tiny metal paddle of semiconductor, visible to the naked eye -- and coaxed it into dancing with a quantum groove. First, they cooled the paddle until it reached its "ground state," or the lowest energy state permitted by the laws of quantum mechanics (a goal long-sought by physicists). Then they raised the widget's energy by a single quantum to produce a purely quantum-mechanical state of motion. They even managed to put the gadget in both states at once, so that it literally vibrated a little and a lot at the same time -- a bizarre phenomenon allowed by the weird rules of quantum mechanics.

The First Quantum Machine

edit on 10-6-2011 by Chronon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
"When we attempt to imagine death, we perceive ourselves as spectators." - Sigmund Freud

Circumstantial evidence of survival of death, at least in the minutes immediately following death, is available in hundreds of cases like this one.

The Out-of-Body Experience

In this experience people have veridical perceptions from a position outside and above their lifeless body. NDEers have the feeling that they have apparently taken off their body like an old coat and to their surprise they appear to have retained their own identity with the possibility of perception, emotions, and a very clear consciousness. This out-of-body experience is scientifically important because doctors, nurses, and relatives can verify the reported perceptions.

This is the report of a nurse of a Coronary Care Unit: During night shift an ambulance brings in a 44-year old cyanotic, comatose man into the coronary care unit. He was found in coma about 30 minutes before in a meadow. When we go to intubate the patient, he turns out to have dentures in his mouth. I remove these upper dentures and put them onto the 'crash cart.' After about an hour and a half the patient has sufficient heart rhythm and blood pressure, but he is still ventilated and intubated, and he is still comatose. He is transferred to the intensive care unit to continue the necessary artificial respiration. Only after more than a week do I meet again with the patient, who is by now back on the cardiac ward. The moment he sees me he says: 'O, that nurse knows where my dentures are.' I am very surprised. Then he elucidates: 'You were there when I was brought into hospital and you took my dentures out of my mouth and put them onto that cart, it had all these bottles on it and there was this sliding drawer underneath, and there you put my teeth.' I was especially amazed because I remembered this happening while the man was in deep coma and in the process of CPR. It appeared that the man had seen himself lying in bed, that he had perceived from above how nurses and doctors had been busy with the CPR. He was also able to describe correctly and in detail the small room in which he had been resuscitated as well as the appearance of those present like myself. He is deeply impressed by his experience and says he is no longer afraid of death.
Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology Adv Exp Med Biol. 2004; 550: 115-132

The key to explaining some of this is even after brain death has been declared, patients have been able to verify what has happened in the room. However, you could argue this is evidence of telepathy or some other "paranormal" ability. The point is though, how can a person declared medically unconscious or dead be conscious and also OBSERVE FROM OUTSIDE THE BODY?

I can predict some standard sceptical responses with the following. The near death experience is real and reproducible. That is scientifically demonstrable.

But the question is not, "Are near-death experiences real?" Even skeptics now concede that it is a real phenomenon. The question to ask is, "Are near-death experiences a phenomenon of a person's consciousness being outside of their body?" And if this can be proven true, then the next question is, "Can consciousness survive bodily death?" This last question likely cannot be proven true to the satisfaction of the skeptics using near-death research alone. This is because no matter how you define "death," the only kind of definition that satisfies the skeptics is "irreversible" death.
www.near-death.com...

So the question I would ask Astyanax is - what type of evidence would satisfy you? I have my doubts that it is possible.

I almost forgot. Another reproducible example of possible consciousness outside of the body is remote viewing. Maybe there lies the key?
edit on 11/6/11 by Pimander because: Added circumstantial.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How Come theres no comment on this page !?!? Wake Up All, This Is Interesting, We Need More Info !

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

Thank you for providing an opportunity for me to publicize a thread of my own: The Not Very Near Death Experience.

Hallucinations experienced by the human brain under conditions of extreme stress and sensory deprivation are proof of nothing (if anyone wants to argue with me, please do so on my thread and refrain from dragging this one off topic – thank you).

No claim of ‘remote viewing’ has ever been proved under properly controlled conditions. But if a properly-conducted double-blind study found evidence of accurate remote viewing, one would certainly have to think again.

Here’s an experiment that might work: have a number generator produce a twelve-digit text string. Print it out on a card and seal the card within a lighted box. Do this under conditions of strict security so that neither the researchers nor any of the subjects have any opportunity to learn the number beforehand. If a person claiming remote-viewing abilities can accurately report the number inside the box and no possible flaw can be found in the experimental setup, it would certainly suggest that a conscious mind is physically projecting itself outside its owner’s body. However, this would still be only one possible explanation; one could think of others.

I believe it is safe to say that no satisfactory evidence of disembodied consciousness will ever be found. The various remote-viewing experiments conducted on ATS from time to time invariably fail; all the self-proclaimed clairvoyants turn out to be wrong. But then, experiments seeking evidence for paranormal powers always fail, for the obvious reason that such powers are just wish-fulfilling fantasies. In Richard Dawkins’ documentary The Irrational Health Service, a bunch of eager dowsers signally fail to find a buried bottle of water. The excuses they make afterwards are very funny, but also a little sad.

For purposes of entertainment rather than instruction, I attach the relevant section of the video. Enjoy.

edit on 11/6/11 by Astyanax because: I failed to foresee a typo.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Reply on your thread here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join