It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Can Discern Between Two Quantum States, Research Shows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

DNA Can Discern Between Two Quantum States, Research Shows

www.sciencedaily.com

"Biological molecules are quite large, and they work at temperatures that are much warmer than the temperatures at which most quantum physics experiments are conducted. One would expect that the quantum phenomenon of spin, which exists in two opposing states, would be scrambled in these molecules -- and thus irrelevant to their function."

DNA turns out to be a superb "spin filter," and the team's findings could have relevance for both biomedical research and the field of spintronics
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The reason I found this article interesting is different than what's on the surface - that DNA can act as a spin filter, which is pretty cool in it's own right.

Ideas have been proposed that consciousness arises from quantum effects. The only problem is that quantum phenomenon apply to the world of the very, very small, which may very well make the effects neglible to the operation of a brain. This is due to a process called called decoherence, which essentially says, as you move up in scale to the macroscopic realm, quantum properties are lost.

Certain ideas, like Roger Penrose's and Stuart Hammeroff's, that claim consciosness may arise from quantum mechanical effects within microtuble structures in the brain are typically refuted on the grounds of decoherence.

The fact that DNA is a larger biological structure and can have quantum mechanical effects, seems to open up the possibility that structures in the brain may somehow be able to, as well. We just don't know how yet, just like we had no clue until now that DNA can act as a spin filter.

Anyhow, any theory about the origin of consciousness within the brain is pretty darn speculative at this point. But, this article seems to be opening up the idea that larger biological structures may play more of a role in quantum mechanics than we thought.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

More on Penrose and his ideas, as well as a refutation:

en.wikipedia.org
arxiv.org
edit on 8-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this fascinating story, as well as the other side of it too.

Gives a whole new spin on just exactly what we are.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Awesome Find !
I think this will lead to even more discoveries about quantum consciousness and people willl start to realise that this subject needs way more attention !
Flag !

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

This is due to a process called called decoherence, which essentially says, as you move up in scale to the macroscopic realm, quantum properties are lost.

What if this is not lost, and it can have a quantum effect in the larger scale.

If it can have an effect at the micro scale it should follow through at the macro scale, for all is the same thing.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Certain ideas, like Roger Penrose's and Stuart Hammeroff's, that claim consciosness may arise from quantum mechanical effects within microtuble structures in the brain are typically refuted on the grounds of decoherence.

I dont get that, I thought the brain was known to have a quantam affect through the act of observation....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

From a gastropod to a galaxy... It's spun density.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Excellent FInd S & F for you!! I have allways wondered what the link between DNA and consciousness is or if it exists...Interesting post THanks!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by EthanT

I dont get that, I thought the brain was known to have a quantam affect through the act of observation....

The act of observation science refers to is that of electromagnetic interference.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Thanks for posting this fascinating story, as well as the other side of it too.

I agree. It’s not often you see objective neutrality and reserve on ATS. Highly interesting news, too. A well-deserved flag and star for the OP, then.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

quantum is not only in the very small but also in any superconductor, any superconductor of any size is capable of a quantum state,

research also has shown that the pineal gland (third eye) in the center of your brain, contains a superconducting fluid.
edit on 6/9/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
OP is (understandably) apologetic about the range of application in quantum theory. after all, no one wants to be a "what the bleeper".

even (especially?) at the macro scale, we are surrounded in a sea of vibration and resonance. the very fact that whole (quantized) units of "stuff" emerges from the soup and is manipulable by an intelligence lays the foundation of quantum theory at the people-level.

I conducted some research during the last semester on the topic of quantum biology, which is my major and favorite topic of discussion. this is the way forward, I assure you. pleeenty of evidence in favor of quantum activity within the genome.

....best

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

DNA is shown to have properties of a superconductor. I will find a citation if requested.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Great thread. I'm quite certain that "life" goes down into subatomic levels as well as macro, and other universes etc. This is my simplistic way of putting it.

Searching the gnome is more grounded angle. I'm fairly certain that where you will find point zero, which has to be the origin of life, you will only ever pin-point one place, the same place - going backward through space into the beginning of time - forever

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
Ideas have been proposed that consciousness arises from quantum effects.
The only problem is that quantum phenomenon apply to the world of the very, very small, which may very well make the effects negligible to the operation of a brain.

I suggest that we be very careful about two assumptions that are still being made by many scientists in these fields:

1) Consciousness is somehow a consequence of physical laws.

2) Consciousness resides in the human brain.

They really have no business making these assumptions about consciousness. And if they are wrong (obviously I think they are or I wouldn't be writing this) then they might end up learning a lot about something, but it won't be consciousness.

There is A LOT of evidence, even within the academic literature, that consciousness can exist and persist separate from a live body. This idea is very important. It has been ever since teachers started talking about it, and it will continue to be from here on out. One ignores this idea, the data that supports it, and its implications, at one's peril!

We can learn, perhaps, from the basic pattern of scientific progress. It starts with the study of effects. And as the effects become better understood, we begin to understand their causes. With more research the basic patterns get simpler and simpler. We know today, for instance, that all life forms on earth share the same chemistry, cellular structure, and dependence on genetic coding. And we also know that all matter that we have found, in all its incredible variety of forms, is made up of different combinations of the same basic particles that communicate with each other according to just a few basic rules. So progress has been in the direction of common basic patterns that underlie a huge variety of different manifestations. Science has discovered many of the causal patterns of the physical universe. Now it is attempting to connect this knowledge to the universe of ideas. Let's not jump to conclusions about the role of consciousness in these patterns! If you want a "scientific" answer to this riddle, then you will have to be patient and let science figure it out.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by l_e_cox
There is A LOT of evidence, even within the academic literature, that consciousness can exist and persist separate from a live body.

wow. that is pretty bold. and to claim that there is academic evidence is even more so.

I do not understand the need within the psycho-spiritual community to elevate consciousness above the physical. ...just as useless as materialistic monism. seems pretty clear to me that (at least as far as theoretical usefulness is concerned) dualism is the fundamental ground state of reality.

of what use is a disembodied consciousness?!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

The fact that DNA is a larger biological structure and can have quantum mechanical effects, seems to open up the possibility that structures in the brain may somehow be able to, as well. We just don't know how yet, just like we had no clue until now that DNA can act as a spin filter.
So if we were to build a quantum computer logic would dictate that all the pieces the machine uses are too large? Scientists amaze me some times.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

This is fascinating stuff. I am looking forward to more studies of the way DNA interacts with different energy systems.

This is interesting in the light of certain psychedelic material.

The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge is a major breakthrough for not only the field of entheogens but for all science and perhaps religion too. Originally published in French as Serpent Cosmique, this book presents the journey of a western scientist who ventures past the primitive superstitions of modern anthropology and takes part in a millennia-long scientific research program of Amazonian shamanism; wherein he learns of their seers’ profound communication with other species via experiential access to DNA......
[edit]
....via a sophisticated interdisciplinary study that includes direct personal experience of ancient shamanic mysteries, extensive comparative structural analysis of cross-cultural symbolism, and molecular biology. The result is the testable hypothesis “that the human mind can communicate in a defocalized consciousness with the global network of DNA based life.”
Mind Science News. Biophotons: DNA Radiance of Health or Disease

Combined these ideas with Chinese Medicine and theories regarding biophotons there is a whole lot more to to learn about consciousness.

According to the biophoton theory developed on the base of these discoveries the biophoton light is stored in the cells of the organism - more precisely, in the DNA molecules of their nuclei - and a dynamic web of light constantly released and absorbed by the DNA may connect cell organelles, cells, tissues, and organs within the body and serve as the organism's main communication network and as the principal regulating instance for all life processes. The processes of morphogenesis, growth, differentiation and regeneration are also explained by the structuring and regulating activity of the coherent biophoton field. The holographic biophoton field of the brain and the nervous system, and maybe even that of the whole organism, may also be basis of memory and other phenomena of consciousness, as postulated by neurophysiologist Karl Pribram an others. The consciousness-like coherence properties of the biophoton field are closely related to its base in the properties of the physical vacuum and indicate its possible role as an interface to the non-physical realms of mind, psyche and consciousness.
www.transpersonal.de...

While some of the ideas above are fascinating - none of them are complete or beyond criticism. Lots more work is needed. I am on the lookout for an opportunity to undertake some studies on related topics within academia. Fingers crossed.
edit on 9/6/11 by Pimander because: typo

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
DNA and RNA seem to have quite specific roles to play in everything living, at least on earth, so their connection to consciousness is implied by their role. Just what that connection is, be it the actual creator or a sandbox to play within, therein lies the field of research.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
ERROR ABOVE: The actual source of the first external text in my earlier post on this thread is The Erowid Review. The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge
by Jeremy Narby (Reviewed by Robert Forte, 7/24/2006)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join