It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Wins Immigration Suit!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
reply to post by korathin

And no American should be forced to speak a foreign language in their own country just to get a job!! No illegal should hold a job that belongs to the American citizen!

When did American designate an official language?

Which language would be foreign exactly? Spanish speaking people have been here for a very long time. Some areas speak French. We have Chinatown - - partly because Chinese were brought here as slaves.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Good question. Though english has been the defacto language of the USA, many States have fought to make english the official language.

It appears from this map that the following states have chosen english as the primary langage.
Alabama (1990)
Alaska (1998)
Arizona (2006)
Arkansas (1987)
California (1986)
Colorado (1988)
Florida (1988)
Georgia (1986 & 1996)
Hawaii (1978)
Idaho (2007)
Illinois (1969)
Indiana (1984)
Iowa (2002)
Kansas (2007)
Kentucky (1984) Louisiana (1812)
Massachusetts (1975)
Mississippi (1987)
Missouri (1998 & 2008)
Montana (1995)
Nebraska (1920)
New Hampshire (1995)
North Carolina (1987)
North Dakota (1987)
Oklahoma (2010)
South Carolina (1987)
South Dakota (1995)
Tennessee (1984)
Utah (2000)
Virginia (1981 & 1996)
Wyoming (1996)

us-english.org...

"Efforts to make English the official language of the United States date back to 1981, when Senator S.I. Hayakawa introduced legislation to emphasize English acquisition and reduce government multilingualism. Since that time, more than 700 members of Congress have co-sponsored or voted for pending measures, including five which passed the Senate and one which passed the House of Representatives. In the 111th Congress, there were nearly 140 bi-partisan co-sponsors of The English Language Unity Act, marking the ninth time in the last nine Congresses where an official English bill has garnered co-sponsorships from more than 100 Representatives."

March 11, 2011
"Washington, D.C.—Lawmakers from across the country came together today to introduce legislation that would make English the official language of the United States. The effort, lead by Rep. Steve King and sixty other members of the U.S. House of Representatives, brings H.R. 997 for consideration by Congress. As written, the bill would reduce government multilingualism and focus government agencies on promoting English acquisition. Numerous polls consistently prove that more than four-fifths of Americans support making English the official language. The bill is expected to enjoy the most congressional support in nearly a decade."
us-english.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Even if H.R. 997 passes I don't think it could force a private business to hire whomever they like based on language. It's major impact would be on the government but even then I doubt it would make any real difference on how things are done. I mean most states have declared English as their official law and things are still printed in different languages.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

[It appears from this map that the following states have chosen english as the primary langage.

I am aware individual states made English an official language. I live in Arizona.

Its pretty sad that we have to dumb ourselves down.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

[It appears from this map that the following states have chosen english as the primary langage.

I am aware individual states made English an official language. I live in Arizona.

Well excuuuuuuse me if some of us arn't fluent in languages. That doesn't make me dumb! And for those immigrating and coming through the proper channels, you think they should have to learn english AND spanish? I think it's difficult enough for them as it is. Never before have we had to learn a foreign language just to work in a factory. It is one thing to immigrate to another country but to expect that country to learn your language and make it mandatory in many workplaces is a shame. I wouldn't expect it from another country if I moved there, but then again I'm dumb. Right?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Well excuuuuuuse me if some of us arn't fluent in languages.

Why don't we just homogenize the entire world ala Hitler? (and I hate when people throw Hitler into the mix - but this is apropos).

Maybe we can investigate what Michael Jackson used to whiten his dark skin. We can become a homogenized white skinned race.

I actually lost a position because I did not speak Spanish. And who's fault is that really? It is my fault. I had every opportunity to learn Spanish. It is offered in every high school at least in the southern US that has a high concentration of Spanish culture. Who were the original land owners.

We Shanghai Chinese and make them slaves. But expect them to give up their language and culture?

This country was built as a melting pot of immigration and culture - - - as it should be today.

You wanna throw the Constitution into this discussion now?

I will be extremely disappointed if our government makes English an official language. It is an insult.

I am planning on moving out of Arizona - - because I want nothing to do with their mentality.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Well excuuuuuuse me if some of us arn't fluent in languages.

Why don't we just homogenize the entire world ala Hitler? (and I hate when people throw Hitler into the mix - but this is apropos).

Maybe we can investigate what Michael Jackson used to whiten his dark skin. We can become a homogenized white skinned race.

I actually lost a position because I did not speak Spanish. And who's fault is that really? It is my fault. I had every opportunity to learn Spanish. It is offered in every high school at least in the southern US that has a high concentration of Spanish culture. Who were the original land owners.

We Shanghai Chinese and make them slaves. But expect them to give up their language and culture?

This country was built as a melting pot of immigration and culture - - - as it should be today.

You wanna throw the Constitution into this discussion now?

I will be extremely disappointed if our government makes English an official language. It is an insult.

I am planning on moving out of Arizona - - because I want nothing to do with their mentality.

What's with all the white skinned talk? Illegals comes in all colors. And if you are assuming I am against brown skinned people well...my husband is portugeuse so you better let him know.

It doesn't matter who the original owners were. I have indian ancestory as well as french and irish. It has been the USA for quite some time now. The USA has immigration laws like any other Country.

"This country was built as a melting pot of immigration and culture - - - as it should be today." It still is. The point is that asians, africans and every other race comes here, learns and speaks english, but the spanish speakers want to change the face of the USA and demand that we speak their language. We are not expected to learn any other language why should we be forced to learn spanish? Everyone here of every culture speaks english.

If you have come here because you want to be an American, you wouldn't be insulted to have to speak our language. You can still speak your native tongue, but don't shove it done the throats of every other American who is a melting pot of cultures and have learned english and respect our country.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yep - - let's keep homogenizing the world for our own egos and convenience.

Currently there are only an estimated 7,000 languages spoken around the world and one of them dies out about every two weeks, according to the linguistic experts who are struggling as many as they can. In fact, languages are currently even more endangered than plant and animal species. At least 20% of the world's languages are in imminent danger of becoming extinct as their last speakers die off, compared with about 18% of mammals, 8% of plants and 5% of birds.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Hey if you're happy about losing that job because you don't speak spanish, then by all means, don't fight for english to be the primary language. You can thank the millions of illegals who refused to speak english.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Hey if you're happy about losing that job because you don't speak spanish, then by all means, don't fight for english to be the primary language. You can thank the millions of illegals who refused to speak english.

Don't worry about the people who refuse to speak english they are usually just the first generation illegals. I'm sure there were tons of older immigrants in different waves of immigration that never really learned english but the kids they had did.

edit on 12-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

reply to post by Annee

How sad. Who's to say she didn't loose the job to a bilingual citizen.

Don't worry about the people who refuse to speak english they are usually just the first generation illegals. I'm sure there were tons of older immigrants in different waves of immigration that never really learned english but the kids they had did.

I did lose a job to a bilingual person. I was born and bred in Los Angeles. I had every opportunity to learn Spanish. I was just too lazy to put forth the effort. The Spanish/Mexican culture is the basis of Los Angeles. Long before it became a state.

Because it became a state - - we should all now be homogenized - - disrespecting a culture and language that was there long before white man and English?

Its pure arrogance - - convenience - - and money driven.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I know das. I had a Grandmother who only spoke french. It was sad because she missed out on so much. It's just that at one time, we never had to press one for english, two for spanish. I had never before seen jobs where you had to speak spanish. To see any American turned away because they are not bilingual is so sad. It is bad enough that millions are unemployed and can't find jobs because of illegals, but now they are also up against having to be bilingual.
There are so many of us all across the USA who arn't good at languages.

I have worked with so many races of people and found it a fascinating experience. But after 8 years of having to hear spanish all day every day it drove me insane. It was as though I left my own country. The spanish speakers wanted everyone, not just whites, to learn and speak their language. I found that arrogant and disrespectful because all the others had already had to learn english.

The other cultures resented that there were signs everywhere in spanish in stores and all around them. Like they said, they and other foreigners learned english, why couldn't the spanish speaking people? It is because of the overwhelming numbers of illegals, many who have no desire to become citizens.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I did lose a job to a bilingual person. I was born and bred in Los Angeles. I had every opportunity to learn Spanish. I was just too lazy to put forth the effort. The Spanish/Mexican culture is the basis of Los Angeles. Long before it became a state.

Because it became a state - - we should all now be homogenized - - disrespecting a culture and language that was there long before white man and English?

Its pure arrogance - - convenience - - and money driven.

Why would you choose to have a language that seperate people when you can have one that unites them all? When the spanish speaking people chose to speak english amongst the rest of us, we had a great time together, laughed and shared much. Our african workers, americans, asians, indians...all understood english. It's not that the hispanics didn't understand the language. They knew and spoke it well.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

To see any American turned away because they are not bilingual is so sad. It is bad enough that millions are unemployed and can't find jobs because of illegals, but now they are also up against having to be bilingual.

But if another American got the job then theres no harm done. Also, how is this any different than being able to use a certain software program or run a certain type of machine. If I have to learn HTML (which is a language) to get a job because that's what the job requires then why would I blame anyone else for not filling the requirements.

The other cultures resented that there were signs everywhere in spanish in stores and all around them. Like they said, they and other foreigners learned english, why couldn't the spanish speaking people? It is because of the overwhelming numbers of illegals, many who have no desire to become citizens.

I think you have come across a small unsavory portion of the spanish speaking community. My experience has been the complete opposite. From the hundreds of immigrants (both legal and illegal) and probably close to a thousand if you count their kids that I have known they all speak english. Some very poorly but they try. And their children usually speak very little spanish, if any.

Heck I live in Central America and english is a required course in every level of study from grammar school right through university (if your in the public university) and it sure isn't our official language.

edit on 12-6-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Heck I live in Central America and English is a required course in every level of study from grammar school right through university (if your in the public university) and it isn't even our official language.

That's great. And Spanish should be mandatory in America. It IS part of the American culture. It is our bordering country.

And BTW - - I am as WASP as you can get. My paternal line was Pennsylvania Deutsche from the Palatines - - that came to America in the 1700s.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

That's great. And Spanish should be mandatory in America. It IS part of the American culture. It is our bordering country.

Children do have a great capacity for learning languages. I'm sure they could easily have a solid base in at least two other languajes besides english.

The thing is that, again from my experience, most hispanic parents that I know tell their children that they are in the United States and that they don't need spanish. If they don't think it's a good idea then I know many "patriotic americans" wouldn't never be sold on the idea.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

The thing is that, again from my experience, most hispanic parents that I know tell their children that they are in the United States and that they don't need spanish. If they don't think it's a good idea then I know many "patriotic americans" wouldn't never be sold on the idea.

That really is kind of the old thinking. Many immigrants totally abandoned their heritage and culture to be "American".

Not so much today. Mexicans are proud of who they are - - they embrace their culture and language. THEY speak two languages. Seems to me - - they're the smart ones.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Children do have a great capacity for learning languages. I'm sure they could easily have a solid base in at least two other languajes besides english.

From grade 1 and years after, I learned french. Actually, what I learned were a lot of words and phrases but could never actally converse in french. While working with different cultures, I learned many words and some phrases in their language, but could never hold a conversation. I just can't retain what I learned very well and there are millions of people just like me.

Bottom line for me is that all cultures who come here to live, learn and speak english. It is the one language that ties us all together and I don't see anything wrong with that. Other foreigners who have learned english have no desire to learn yet another language nor should they have to. That all of a sudden we have to speak spanish to get a job, when we were never forced to speak another language to get a job before, well that shows there is a problem.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

That all of a sudden we have to speak Spanish to get a job, when we were never forced to speak another language to get a job before, well that shows there is a problem.

Because we have actually evolved instead of regressed.

Fits in the same category of Public Schools not having Christmas anymore - - - but respecting the diversity of American citizens.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

That all of a sudden we have to speak Spanish to get a job, when we were never forced to speak another language to get a job before, well that shows there is a problem.

Because we have actually evolved instead of regressed.

Fits in the same category of Public Schools not having Christmas anymore - - - but respecting the diversity of American citizens.

Evolved by seperating people with language instead of uniting them?

In any case, as you can see by the numbers of the States that have already proclaimed english as their primary language and others fighting for the same, I guess they're all dumb and unevolved.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join