It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

alternative DVD "backup" procedure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I have a multimedia system (specs below) in my vehicle and wanted to watch DVD backup copies from my hard drive. However I did not want to risk spending 40$USD-$100USD on software that might not work with my DVD-rom, certain DVDs, or DVD technology that might emerge anytime soon. I own an ATI 9000 all in wonder that comes with an external RCA hookup for downloading cam corder movies and editing them.
I hooked my Sony stand alone DVD player to the cam corder port, and then simply played my DVDs while Windows movie maker records the incoming stream. While yes I spent money on a DVD unit and an all in wonder I am not wondering wether this or that DVD will be able to be ripped to a backup copy. Them I shoot my backup copies to my vehicle for safe keeping via wireless router.

2001 4x4 ext cab GMC
15 in ch Phillips LCD screen
PIII slot 1 550E
256mem
no name DVD player
20gig maxtor 7200
linksys wireless card
power is provided by inveter wired directly to battery
PC and inverter switches wired remotely to side of drivers seat.

[Edited on 6-8-2004 by IntelRetard]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You dont need to spend ANY money to back up DVDs. Except for the DVD itself, or Blockbuster.

There are a few different methods. I like ripping the VOB files to the hard drive (takes about 7gb)then using DVD2AVI which would encode it to an AVI file. Then delete the VOB files if the encoding was successful.Theres a program that my friend uses DVD to SVCD that converts the DVD to an MPG in about 2 hours. Doom9 is the Definitive DVD Backup Resource
...Try here for easy guides that produce really good quality video.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I used Gordian knot to rip then vStrip to VOB. Although the AVI converter seems to crash on me @ anypoint in the process. VOB works fine for any PC with DVD software installed.

much faster thanks!

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by IntelRetard]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Since your just gonna leave them as the VOBs, if you want to make the VOB files half the size use DVD Shrink. VOB files have the same info twice...for reasons I cant remember...and DVD Shrink gets rid of one set of information and makes it half the size.

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The PC hdrive in the truck isnt that large so this will help.

[Edited on 7-8-2004 by IntelRetard]

new topics

top topics

join