It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

I think I'll put that on my resume.

...See, folks? This is the best they've got.

See? That's what I mean. I feel empathy for religious people. Really, in essence, they are arguing for an invisible man that lives in the sky and loves us. But yet will let us burn if he sees fit.

It's really strange when you think about it. What's even stranger is that religious people don't understand the strangeness...

Pred...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Who are they, and why do they care how much it costs? I got no disrespect to you personally, we are conversing politely I thought, beyond that I dont know. To hell with your judgements about how people feel about things, you're pieces of crap for assuming anything, argue what you want but don't assume things

edit on 8-6-2011 by Kwyjibo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
i like this new tactic to get under an atheists skin, "atheism is a religion" nice one. i dont think religion/faith is what you have in common, i think its the joy of the debate.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
People that like to claim athiests have "faith that god doesn't exist" should really look up the word, you clearly don't understand it.

1.confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

2.belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

3.belief in god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.

An atheist does not need a belief that has no proof to not believe in god. All the ammo they need is the lack of objective physical proof in the world, to support the idea of god. No faith involved there.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I agree, but it's not atheism in it's full term at least, there is a lot of nihilism going on, for good or for bad

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

It's not new, it's the same thing gay people do to people that dislike gay people by calling them homophobes

You just don't like gays because you are a gay hiding in the closet!

It does seem to work well, but only on people with severe dislike though. It won't work with indifferent attitudes toward whatever subject you are trying to dig on

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
You turned this around to your own amusement and great for you, I'm glad you like it, but you are full of crap and I hope you enjoy that

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kwyjibo
I got no disrespect to you personally, we are conversing politely I thought, beyond that I dont know.

Conversing politely, you say?

To hell with your judgements

you're pieces of crap

you're full of crap

but obviously you're full of crap

Also "Thewalkingfox" is full of a bunch of crap,

you're a bunch of egocentric assholes who don't know what they're talking about

this crap.

edit on 8/6/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
you adjust that to however you want to, I didn't mean it to disrespect you, but I can understand how you took it that way, I'm sorry if I go overboard sometimes, seriously, I'll play the bitch, I don't mean to hurt anyone to the point they have to play me like you tried to play me

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kwyjibo

You might want to work on your debating and people skills a bit. You just make yourself sound like a junior high school kid running around calling people and their ideas crap, without backing a thing up.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
OK thats fine, but you wouldn't put the time into it if you didn't care, and I respect that

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
In response to TKDRL, I'm sorry for the language I used, I've been here long enough to know such nonsense is ridiculous, I didn't mean to make my argument in that way, however, I think my main point makes sense and that you are excluding that for whatever reasons your ego can not accept that but all is well and to each their own

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kwyjibo

It's cool

I participate in religion threads because they are fun, I like philosophy, and it is a hotbed to check out people's psychology really. I am not an athiest per se, but I don't believe in a diety with human traits, like the abrahamic god, or thor or anything like that.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

Neither side has the facts to prove what they say is true.

Technically archeological and recorded history do indeed inform every inquisitive mind on the origins of religious beliefs and the interesting evolution of those beliefs as well as the cultural impacts and changes of beliefs as they intermingle when two or more cultures come in contact with one another. I find religious history to be rather interesting. There isn't even a single Christian alive today that follows the biblical doctrine the same way as 1000 years ago, not even the Vatican. Beliefs and interpretations are constantly evolving.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

No worries brother, and I don't mean that in the sense that we agree on things, but I'm just human and I know I'm not right all the time

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Here we go again with the proof bit. You can't prove there is no god so blah blah blah. Given the negative logic that this uses then we must assume that everything we cannot prove exists until such time as we can prove it does not. Now quite clealry we can all invent something that is impossible to disprove until the end of time e.g. There is a purple cat sitting in the middle of a black hole at the centre of this milky way playing a trombone. It is impossible to prove that that is not the case without actually going to the centre of said black hole.....which is impossible. Therfore since we cannot disprove it, it must be true!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow that means God exists!!!!!!!!!!!!

The default position is what we KNOW. What we know is that there is no evidence for God so we continue with that situation until somebody comes along with evidence. The belief in God(s) has been around since man started to think "why does that happen" hmmm don't know ,,, hmmm must be a god! Tens of thousands of years and still no evidence. Well call me suspicious but I would have thought some evidence would have turned up by now!

So there could theoretically be a God BUT given the ever increasing unfolding of knowledge about our universe and the lack of evidence over thousands of years by billions of people the odds are so vanishingly small that there is more chance of a purple cat in the previously mentioned black hole!

We have one life, live it to the full, work to make life better for all. Be a humanist!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake
Here's the thing:

Religious people believe in God.
Atheists believe there is no god.
Therefore, it all comes down to faith.
Atheism is a religion whether the atheists want to admit it or not.
In the end, we're all the same. We just have faith in different beliefs.

FACT
There is no such thing as random

EVIDENCE FOR GOD
There is no such thing as random

DEFINE EVIDENCE
facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

If nothing is random in this Universe (evidence says nothing random), then that proves the existence of a creator. If the Universe was to be restarted like a computer, a different Universe will not be created (everything will be exactly 100% the same), because it is designed.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Is it me or are the atheists on ATS just as fanatical as the religious people they condemn for being fanatical?

I am a fan of Bill Maher...but his atheism fanatical rants on religion or just over the top...it is like he has to tell the world at every opportunity that he does not believe in God, exactly like a fanatical religious person who must declare his belief.

It is like the ATS poster who also are religion...they must pop in a thread about religion to say...they is no God...etc.

I mean how does it hurt if it brings peace to those that need an outside source for comfort. I am not sure what I believe, but in the end who cares.

I understand if the a religious poster comes into a rational thread about...let's say earthquakes, and then quotes the bible on why it is happening then you can tell them to bugger off..

Going into a religious thread just to say...God does not exist and then add no other constructive comment to the conversation is just dumb.

So OK..you do not believe in God...good for you..gold star for you,...high five....and whatever recognition you are looking for.

I agree. I have found that most people who claim to be Athiests seem to really have a problem with Christianity. I personally have not met many who were brought up or influenced by another religion. I had issues with Christianity and at an early age moved away from it. After years of searching I found what worked for me in the Urantia Book ( www.urantia.org... ) and I would recommend it to anyone of any faith. It is not a religion, has not clergy or churches. I look at it as more of an informational book. Gives information on God, the universe and our place in it. In my opinion it can enhance any religion.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

No.

...I'm sorry, you wanted more. *Sigh* I guess I can make one more post before I get in the shower and go see a movie.

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
Is it me or are the atheists on ATS just as fanatical as the religious people they condemn for being fanatical?

How are we fanatical?

I am a fan of Bill Maher...but his atheism fanatical rants on religion or just over the top...it is like he has to tell the world at every opportunity that he does not believe in God, exactly like a fanatical religious person who must declare his belief.

And I'm not a fan of Bill Maher and he is not on ATS as far as I know.

It is like the ATS poster who also are religion...they must pop in a thread about religion to say...they is no God...etc.

Please, point to a post where someone said "There is no god", I'd be surprised to find it.

I mean how does it hurt if it brings peace to those that need an outside source for comfort.

...because a false comfort is bad. Because having beliefs that conform with evidence of the world around you is good. Because disbelieving that which has no evidence is a virtue. Because religion hurts people.

Also, people don't keep their religion to themselves...in fact, most religions condemn the act of keeping your religion to yourself.

Going into a religious thread just to say...God does not exist and then add no other constructive comment to the conversation is just dumb.

...and that never happens. Ever. Please, provide an example. I'm sure I'm the sort of user you're thinking of when you say that, but it's either an odd interpretation of what I say or just a false impression from not actually reading the posts.

So OK..you do not believe in God...good for you..gold star for you,...high five....and whatever recognition you are looking for.

We're not looking for recognition, we're looking for conversation.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

Originally posted by MrFake
Here's the thing:

Religious people believe in God.

Sure, some of them even believe in more than one!

Atheists believe there is no god.

Atheists do not believe in a deity. There is a difference between not believing and believing not.

Therefore, it all comes down to faith.

All of my positive assertions are backed by facts. Wrong again.

Atheism is a religion whether the atheists want to admit it or not.
In the end, we're all the same. We just have faith in different beliefs.

I'm not going to admit something that is a blatant falsehood. It's a single position. One cannot have a religion based upon not believing in deities anymore than a religion can be formed solely on the belief in a deity.

Look at it this way, Christianity is a religion, theism is not.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join