It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Is it me or are the atheists on ATS just as fanatical as the religious people they condemn for being fanatical?

I am a fan of Bill Maher...but his atheism fanatical rants on religion or just over the top...it is like he has to tell the world at every opportunity that he does not believe in God, exactly like a fanatical religious person who must declare his belief.

It is like the ATS poster who also are religion...they must pop in a thread about religion to say...they is no God...etc.

I mean how does it hurt if it brings peace to those that need an outside source for comfort. I am not sure what I believe, but in the end who cares.

I understand if the a religious poster comes into a rational thread about...let's say earthquakes, and then quotes the bible on why it is happening then you can tell them to bugger off..

Going into a religious thread just to say...God does not exist and then add no other constructive comment to the conversation is just dumb.

So OK..you do not believe in God...good for you..gold star for you,...high five....and whatever recognition you are looking for.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Here's the thing:

Religious people believe in God.
Atheists believe there is no god.
Neither side has the facts to prove what they say is true.
Therefore, it all comes down to faith.
Atheism is a religion whether the atheists want to admit it or not.
In the end, we're all the same. We just have faith in different beliefs.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Thats pretty much every belief or non belief. We, the world, are hippocrits in one manner or another.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake

And everyone wants to be right about what they believe, and everyone seems to want to be the one to express their knowledge of being right.

So I was slightly off. We're not just hippocrits.. We're vain hippocrits!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
they actually believe in an invisible man instead of thinking they ask this god questions and then do things about what he said but there aint no one there to say any thing mate

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kerazeesicko

I mean how does it hurt if it brings peace to those that need an outside source for comfort.

It wouldn't hurt if religion were only bringing peace, but it isn't, in fact quite the opposite. Gays are denied equal rights and bullied based on religious beliefs. Every year numerous children die because their parents decided to rely on prayer instead of medical care. The religious right is constantly attempting to push the teaching of Creationism into public schools here in the USA (something that violates the first amendment). It goes on and on. Quite frankly I wouldn't oppose religion if it did no harm but it does do harm, which is why I don't oppose deists and pantheists because their beliefs are generally non-religious even if they are theistic.

God does not exist and then add no other constructive comment to the conversation is just dumb.

Please direct me to a post where an atheist has said this without backing it up with something.

So OK..you do not believe in God...good for you..gold star for you,...high five....and whatever recognition you are looking for.

I think there's room in the religious conspiracies forum for all types of belief AND non-belief. There's no reason to exclude a group.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by obzerver

If that's what you believe, then more power to you.

link   
Keraz

Totally agree with you. Why is it that you can"t simply refer to this topic or put in a verse you heard or learned from, then you are all the sudden a religious fanatic that needs to be attacked.Maybe its simple insecurity in what they do or do not believe. But by all means don't say THAT!!!! LOL
edit on 7-6-2011 by blujasper because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by blujasper because: inappropriate just delete it.

edit on 7-6-2011 by blujasper because: ha, God I love this...

link   
i'm just popping into this thread with a friendly reminder that there is no god and that this is your one life to live.

continue.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
There are some of us in the know. No faith...just a knowing. Religiionist's know nothing. Spiritualists know something. Atheists are asleep.

Yes Virginia, there is a God. God resides within us all.

Our bodies are nothing more than temporary. Our souls live on forever.

Is there any purpose to life? Absolutely!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

1) It doesn't require faith to disbelieve. Do you need faith that Santa Claus and Zeus do not exist in order to lack belief in them? I think not.

2) In order for atheism to be a religion THEISM must be a religion, to suggest that atheism is a religion is, quite simply, idiotic. Theism is belief in god(s), it is not a religion. Atheism is disbelief in god(s). Neither of those have what it takes to be religions.

If atheism is a religion health is a disease.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Going into a religious thread just to say...God does not exist and then add no other constructive comment to the conversation is just dumb.

In my head, I call them the 'Religion Nelsons.'

They kind of remind you of neanderthals, don't have much to say except to drop by for a quick laugh, and never contribute any intelligent or stunning insight.

You could be talking about the most complex religious topic and they just pop in to say 'Ha! Ha!' because they don't have the intelligence to understand the specific topic at hand.

Consider it a fun challenge. When you see a 'Religion Nelson,' just TOTALLY ignore their post. You know they're sitting at their computer refreshing the page like they're getting money for every page view just waiting for a poor unsuspecting soul to take their bait. When you don't, they go back under their bridge.

Then you can feel happy you left them in their troll angst.
edit on 6/7/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
As an atheist, I feel empathy for people that believe in "god". Now, "god", or a spitiual being are different things. It could be possible that we are living on a larger organism, but to think there is a "being" that looks over all of us is a little crazy.

The very idea of a "god" and having evil in the world is against the idea of god. It's a way for people to feel good about themselves by having someone help them through the hard times.

If you ask me it takes away power from people, rather than thinking they are the ones in control, they can place blame/credit on something else. What could be better?

As an atheist I could care less what others believe. I care when they try and influence education and politics with religious rhetoric because science is taking credit away from god.

I embrace learning, religious people frown on it. There was a time when religion was the be all and end all, and it was called the dark ages for a reason.

We need more separation from the church as the more we separate the more freedom we have as people. Religions are oppresive by nature...

Pred...
edit on 7-6-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Please direct me to a post where an atheist has said this without backing it up with something.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ETs are scared of the outdated brainwashed monkeys who follow man made religion as they should be...

Remember...... Religion = Small Brain Maybe it one day can be thought of as a mental illness or at least a disability.

There is no external God to do any punking. No external savior neither. If you look any further than your self for absolute truth you have indeed been punked.

Ignorance exists, period.

Most likely more..these are just a few I came across...and they usually never get past the first page...

edit on 7-6-2011 by kerazeesicko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Thanks for the response, some of those are pretty ignorant things to say but that sort of comes with the territory. Atheism has no dogma and anyone regardless of their opinion toward religious folks, is allowed to label themselves an atheist, the only qualification is having no belief in gods. How many pages of religious folks making such claims can we find though? I know of entire threads dedicated to how evil and arrogant atheists are (yours isn't one, don't worry
). We could always use clearer communication and more civility when discussing these issues, on BOTH sides

edit on 7-6-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
And THEY call you a supermod ??? Seems to me, someone in your position should have a little more compassion for all being said and have more discernment.??!!

I'm just sayin....

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
When I discovered that I was no longer a 'Christian' or religious at all for the manner, I was a bit fanatic....just like I was when I learned about the NWO, the illunimiati, and even interesting facts about the universe.

I think the fanatacism with atheists stems from years of oppressed disbelief in a god or religion itself.

For the most part, athiests have had to 'wear the mask and play the part' when our families forced us into churches or when the boss wants to say a prayer at work. Its been held in for so long....

So its not that there is a hatred attitude toward religious people; its that we discovered new information that opened up our minds and want to share it with everyone we come in contact with

and that we have had to hide it for so long.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Yeah , agreed there are both on ATS..the religious fanatics and fanatic atheists always having to post just to announce their belief..

Forgot my thread also...

i'm just popping into this thread with a friendly reminder that there is no god and that this is your one life to live.

edit on 7-6-2011 by kerazeesicko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by MrFake

1) It doesn't require faith to disbelieve. Do you need faith that Santa Claus and Zeus do not exist in order to lack belief in them? I think not.

2) In order for atheism to be a religion THEISM must be a religion, to suggest that atheism is a religion is, quite simply, idiotic. Theism is belief in god(s), it is not a religion. Atheism is disbelief in god(s). Neither of those have what it takes to be religions.

If atheism is a religion health is a disease.

It takes faith in order to believe that the current state of science has evolved to the point that it has cornered the truth on the worlds greatest questions as to the purpose of life and whether we were just a mistake or design. As well, you are putting faith in the current establishment to relay correct information to the masses, which in my opinion is like trusting the priesthood in the past (blind submission). Every one has an agenda and a vested interest in certain outcomes.

Simply put, the only thing we all know is that we truly know nothing. The one constant is that as time progress', so does our science and the minds behind the science. So to completely write off "god" (Not a fan of the term) when we truly dont understand "god" nor the universe, appears to be utterly ignorant and rigid just as religion often is.

Science brings us many answers but in no way the full picture. Just as religion often does in a metaphorically speaking way. Even Einstein spoke of religion, art, and science being just branches of the same tree.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake
Here's the thing:

Religious people believe in God.
Atheists believe there is no god.
Neither side has the facts to prove what they say is true.
Therefore, it all comes down to faith.
Atheism is a religion whether the atheists want to admit it or not.

Actually, atheism is not a religion. Religions are systems of beliefs in which there are rituals and rules, and a deity to worship.

An atheist does not bow to or worship any deity, does not practice any system of rituals, and there are no 'rules' to follow.

You are correct that neither side has tangible facts. But philosophy (this topic) states that one side is wrong. Therefore, one side has more logic and critical thought in their assertions.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join