It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green Tea Exports Banned After Testing High for Radioactive Cesium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The Japanese government has banned exports of green tea from four agricultural regions of Japan after leaves there tested positive for high levels of radioactive cesium. According to reports from the UK's Telegraph, green tea leaves from parts of Tochigi, Chiba, and Kanagawa, as well as from the entire region of Ibaraki, have exceeded legal limits following the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster

The decision was made after authorities discovered that tea leaves from the city of Minamiashigara, which is located in the Kanagawa prefecture, tested at 570 becquerels (Bq) of cesium per kilogram (kg). This level, of course, exceeds the maximum legal limit of 500 Bq/kg for food items, and further investigation revealed that tea from several other prefectures also exceeded legal limits.

Green Tea Ban Full Story

So it would seem that at least the Japanese government is doing the right thing in banning exports. It makes me think that perhaps it really was the company's fault in getting poor news out rather than some collusion with the government. Or perhaps I'm naive and all the international attention has made Japan more cautious in what it lets slide. Thoughts?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Thats the new raised limit correct?

Shouldnt it be at background levels? 3-5?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The article says "The Japanese government" Why isn't any other government banning these imports?? Or am I reading this wrong?
Sorry if I misunderstood.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by crappiekat
Why isn't any other government banning these imports?? Or am I reading this wrong?
Sorry if I misunderstood.
Japan knows the radiation levels so they are banning the export.

Here's what the USA is doing with food imports from Japan:

What is FDA doing to ensure the safety of products imported from Japan?

FDA’s screening at U.S. borders will remain vigilant and will be augmented with radiation screening of shipments. On March 22, 2011, in order to complement the measures taken by the Government of Japan and to strengthen the global food safety net regarding certain products...FDA is processing all food products from Japan in four categories:

* Category 1 consists of products that the Government of Japan has restricted for sale or export. Authorities will prevent these products from entering the U.S. These products cannot gain entry by providing sample results. As of May 17, 2011, these include:
o Spinach, lettuce, celery, cress, endive, escarole, chard, collards, and other head-type leafy vegetables from the Fukushima Prefecture.
o Turnips and other non-head type leafy vegetables, as well as broccoli, cauliflower, flower head brassicas (i.e. broccoli and cauliflower), mushrooms bamboo shoots, and Ostrich fern from the Fukushima Prefecture.
o Sand lance from Fukushima Prefecture
o Milk from the Fukushima and Ibaraki Prefectures.
o Spinach and kakina from the Fukushima and Ibaraki Prefectures.
* Category 2 consists of products from the Fukushima, Ibaraki, and Tochigi Prefectures that the Government of Japan has not currently banned for sale or export. These specific products include dairy products and fresh produce. Under Import Alert 99-33, authorities may detain these products when they arrive in the U.S. Authorities will release these products from detention if the importer can show the products are compliant.
* Category 3 consists of food and feed products not covered by FDA’s Import Alert that come from these three Japanese prefectures:
o Fukushima
o Ibaraki
o Tochigi

FDA will examine these products, sampling and testing as needed, to determine if they are safe to enter the U.S.

* Category 4 consists of all other FDA-regulated food products from Japan that are not listed in the Import Alert and do not belong to one of the other categories. Authorities will review these products using standard procedures, and as part of this may monitor and sample products as resources permit.
So apparently, the US bans Spinach, lettuce, celery, cress, endive, escarole, chard, collards, and other head-type leafy vegetables from the affected areas regardless of any tests.

Green tea is not on that category 1 list, so it would be subject to testing as a category 2, 3 or 4 product.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: corrected post

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Very glad about the ban, but it's still very sad for the farmers.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by derickonfire

Very, very true. They've had their entire livelihoods decimated by this ban, I'd imagine. Green tea exports are big business, but I doubt if those farmers see much in the way of being rich enough to weather a storm like this.

new topics

top topics

join