It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How A Waxy Monkey Frog Could Help Treat Cancer and Arthritis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

A little-known frog from South America could hold the key to lifesaving treatments for up to 70 devastating medical conditions, Northern Ireland researchers have found.
Read more: www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk... 1OdsumWcK

Well check out this handsome(?) fella. I guess it looks like a monkey, but yet another discovery from our natural world that may provided some answers or methods to fighting disease. What an interesting defense system it has:

he team at Queen's was testing a range of proteins taken from secretions from frogs and toads when they made the exciting discovery.

They realised proteins in the secretions, which the frogs and toads use as protection from predators, can control the growth of blood vessels - a process known as angiogenesis.

Professor Shaw explained: "The proteins that we have discovered have the ability to either stimulate or inhibit the growth of blood vessels.

"By switching off angiogenesis and inhibiting blood vessel growth, a protein from the waxy monkey frog has the potential to kill cancer tumours.

"Most cancer tumours can only grow to a certain size before they need blood vessels to grow into the tumour to supply it with vital oxygen and nutrients.

"Stopping the blood vessels from growing will make the tumour less likely to spread and may eventually kill it.

"This has the potential to transform cancer from a terminal illness into a chronic condition."

Professor Shaw said in future surgeons could remove tumours from a patient and the protein from the frog could be used to stop any remaining cancer cells from growing further.

"It wouldn't cure the cancer but it would stop it from developing any further and allow the person to live a normal life," he said.

Prof Shaw said: "On the other hand, a protein from the Giant Fire-bellied Toad has been found to switch on angiogenesis and stimulate blood vessel growth.

"This has the potential to treat conditions that require blood vessels to repair quickly, such as wound healing, organ transplants, diabetic ulcers and damage caused by strokes or heart conditions."
Read more: www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk... 1OdtISHAf

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...
Fascinating indeed, a protein that can do this. I love how nature's design can sometimes fit a situation so well. I am sure scientists and chemists are continually trying to combine certain ingredients for various results in medicine, and once again Ma Nature provides. Look out Big Pharma, all it may take is a little bit of frog lickin' to combat some ailments.

Looks kind of lizardish, or should I say 'reptilian.'

Peace,
spec

edit on 7-6-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Wow! What an amazing find! A beautiful little creature and it can help mankind! Thanks for sharing this marvel with us!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

My pleasure Night Star

What an interesting lil' bugger huh? I just hope the FDA doesn't outlaw it!

Peace,
spec

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
"Bump" for coolness sake! I think this is pretty amazing, and what a unique amphibian.

Peace,
spec

top topics

join