It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Companies Join Forces to fix Internets biggest problem in decades.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Imagine if the world ran out of phone numbers. Mobile providers could issue no more smartphones, businesses could create no new call centers, and the public would be left fighting over and recycling a diminishing amount of existing phone numbers. "That's a similar situation that we're in on the Internet," says Facebook's Donn Lee, pointing out that the Web's billions of IP addresses are about to hit its max.... ...And now it's up to Internet giants such as Facebook, Google, and Yahoo to fix the problem before it's too late.

finance.yahoo.com...

It looks like private business is about to change the Internet. IPv6 is not a new item as shown in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

IPv6 has long been established as the new protocol due to the limitations of the decades old IPv4 that we are now using. If everyone jumps on this bandwagon, IPv6 is sure to take off. I do find it interesting that DARPA is not involving itself in this change but is instead leaving it to private companies.
edit on 7-6-2011 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by redbarron626 because: typing too fast.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
really. i was thinking about this like decades ago. wen i first learn that it was only 999,999,999 possibilities.

then i started to notice that there was a trend kinda like IP was a GPS or GRID location. like

202/203 were australia/new zealand. although some were 84.(strange i think satelite?cable)

anyway. so what they finallly running out. i thought it would have happend years ago

why not make IP address's HEXIDECIMAL

then we could have like. f23.a21.32a.111

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ashyr

IPv6 is hexadecimal, and with more digits

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
so problem solved?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

I CAN FIX IT CAUSE I R JEENYUS!!!
Tah daaaaaa!
pay me.

(Edit)
Sorry I got excited, yeah but I'm not buying it.
I'm sure this will come with new securities.

edit on 7-6-2011 by g146541 because: I R JEENYUS.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ashyr

what about subnetting and supernetting? theres more than 999.999.999 possibilities.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Lot's of ISP's and hosting companies are using IPv6 for a while now.. Don't see the big deal to be honest..

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
plus NAT is taking care of the situation quite nicely....ipv6 wont be mainstream for a while yet...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashyr

999.999.999 possibilities?

"IPv4 uses 32-bit (four-byte) addresses, which limits the address space to 4,294,967,296 possible unique addresses."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashyr
so problem solved?
Not for my windows2000 based PC which can't run IPv6 as far as i know, but XP or better PCs can run it.

The number of IPv6 addresses isn't infinite, but it's such a big number, I don't even recognize the word:

en.wikipedia.org...

While IPv4 allows 32 bits for an Internet Protocol address, and can therefore support 232 (4,294,967,296) addresses, IPv6 uses 128-bit addresses, so the new address space supports 2^128 (approximately 340 undecillion or 3.4×10^38 ) addresses.
I never even heard of "undecillion" before, but it's pretty huge. We'll probably have to start colonizing the galaxy before we use all those up, I don't think the Earth can sustain that many people even if each person uses 100 IP addresses.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

top topics

join