It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti Japanese Racism after the Disaster in Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I wanted to draw people's attention to this, as I think it is not helping proper discussion and research that many of those who post in this forum say a lot of things which are very anti Japanese to the point of racism.

For instance the use of the racial perjorative 'Nip' and 'Jap'.

Saying that Japanese people do not care about each other.

Saying radiatoin levels are very high, then complaining when Japanese Red Cross and local government take precautions with those from Fukushima.

Saying people are lemmings and should run, when running is so very hard without the means to do so.

Saying it is karma for WW2.

If this forum is for white Americans and Europeans only, fine, but make that clear. Or else do not pollute it with racism

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ThousandIslandSunny

If you've been on here for any period of time you'll realize that racism is equally divided among every ethnic group.

Quite liberally also.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThousandIslandSunny
I wanted to draw people's attention to this, as I think it is not helping proper discussion and research that many of those who post in this forum say a lot of things which are very anti Japanese to the point of racism.

Saying radiatoin levels are very high, then complaining when Japanese Red Cross and local government take precautions with those from Fukushima.

Saying people are lemmings and should run, when running is so very hard without the means to do so.

If this forum is for white Americans and Europeans only, fine, but make that clear. Or else do not pollute it with racism

While I agree with you that racism in any form is disgusting, it's also true that some of the things you're bringing up have absolutely nothing to do with being racist.

For example.. How do you correlate someone saying the Japanese people should get out while they can correlate to being a racist statement?

And, isn't it true that the population of Japan is made up of more than just Asian peoples?

Just sayin... What you're describing entails, for the most part, stupidity, not racism.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Actually it does not refer to White People alone. Even Filipinos, Koreans and African Americans said that the Japanese deserved because of Bataan Death March, The Japanese Brutal Occupation of Korea etc
edit on 7-6-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
i havent noticed any deliberate racism here, though i have see a whole lot of stupid posts that could be seen as offensive, but i think thats more down to peoples stupidity rather than racism. also i dont think alot of people realise the term 'jap' is offensive, again just stupid people.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I have lost count how many times I have to tell people to stop saying the term 'Jap' - It is an offensive term to use.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Alot of us who post on this site get wrapped up in topics we feel passionately about and sometimes the debates can get quite heated but when something very serious happens like the earthquake in Japan you will see an outpouring of support and well wishes from almost everyone.

This is a very good community so don't let a couple knuckleheads speak for everyone.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Your statement here also equates to racism in assuming and accusing that it is only white Americans and Europeans who are racists.

Ridiculous post !!!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I Hate Racists.

Period.

edit on 7-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Although i agree there was an influx of Anti-Japanese remarks being dropped (and still are), I dont know if there is much to be done about it. In my eyes ever race gets "picked on" during different topics.

Blacks = stupid
Asian = small penises
White = rich / racist
Mexican = illegal

The list could go on for ever. Although this are based on some factually things, all educated and cultured people know that race holds little to bearing to one's full potential, or downfall lol.
edit on 7-6-2011 by WordPlayJAy because: i did a doo doo

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Racism?.... Didn't know the Japanese were a race unto themselves.

Wouldn't Discrimination based on nationality be more correct?

Just saying.... get sick of the Racism term thrown around when someone disagrees with an issue.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I noticed this as well. I don't think it was so much targeted "racism" as ethnocentrism. Americans think they're better than everyone. There was a lot of talk about Pearl Harbor and "thats what they get!". What a terrible thing to say.

People seem to forget that we dropped a nuclear bomb, on two different cities. We nuked them twice. Most Americans can't even imagine what that would be like. The Japanese are amazingly resilient people.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectBlue

Americans think they're better than everyone.

?????????????

I appreciate you speaking for me. I think that the Japanese are the one's with te pride issue. They could have had alot better chance of getting things under control if they would have asked the world community for help with their nucear crisis.

But what do I know? I am just an American that thinks he is better than everydody else.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

It is? Funny, I always make snide remarks asking if Stormfront.net has closed due to the high content of racist posters on this forum

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
One thing I never understood about racism is why we give words so much power.

It's just a word, who cares? I'm a white Canadian and if someone called me a racist term I would not be offended in the least. I could care less about any word, and that's what needs to be spread more than stop racism. Racism is just ignorance, giving useless words so much power is plain absurdity.

If we gave these words no power than there would be nothing to get offended about. Why we care so much is beyond me. I could make up a word and say how bad and how offensive it is, but it is up to you on how you want to take it.

Think about going to a different country and someone spoke in a different language to you. If they used a racist slur and you have no idea what it meant, you would not care. What gives that word meaning is how you choose to take it.

If someone is saying it with a malicious tone, do not take offense, feel empathy for that person. People usually get offended and spew hatred back, which is what they didn't like in the first place.

Why get mad at ignorance? Why not feel bad if someone doesn't understand the concept that ALL mammals bleed red and we are all connected? I could be crazy but hatred just creates more hatred...

Pred...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
For me, it is not racist when dealing with facts. As far as an opinion, such as karma from WW2 for example, those are not right...That isn't really racist though. Actually most of the items on your list aren't racist either. I am not racist, and I said that the people should get out of the area. How is that racist?

It seems that you may be one of those individuals who are quick to play the racism card when there is something said about the people of Japan that you don't agree with. That is the same as the people who cry racism whenever someone mentions statistics or something such as crime rates and certain ethnic groups. That isn't racist, but is, as I mentioned earlier, a fact.

Now facts can be presented in a racist manner, and I am not referring to those instances, as they are indeed wrong. What I am saying, in essence, is stop and think about what racism actually means before saying or posting anything about it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
You will get racism through out the world. Fact. I put it down to people not understanding, thus picking the most obvious be it their skin colour, or nationality.

I have been subject to racism whilst i stayed in Japan. It occurred often, the reason it turned out was due to the older generation (within yokohama) assuming, i was American. Due to military forces there they were not as welcome to the idea.

My American friend in Japan has lived there for almost 10 years and is married with 3 kids to a Japanese woman, he has told me about how many times he has also been treated bad because he is a Gaijin. Taxi drivers not taking him places etc, 'Baka Gaijin. Dame' - So it happens on BOTH sides of the coin. I can say this from personal experience. Yet I have no ill feelings towards those people due to it for some reason.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Congrats for making an absolute fool of yourself.

Firstly,
You make a thread complaining about racists and in your thread you make the racist assumtion that the only racial group that has posted comments along these lines are "white Americans and Europeans".
Please present any concrete proof you have that all these types of comments came from this group.

Secondly,
You dont seem to realise that many people around the world do use 'Jap' to discribe Japanese people because it is short for Japanese. I have even heard Japanese people refer to each other using this term.
It is no different to calling someone from the cook islands an 'islander' or someone from Australia an 'Aussie'.
Any racism is in the eye of the user and the beholder - the term itself is not racist.

edit on 7-6-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I have noticed more anti racist commentary not just from this site but elsewhere as well. It is unfortunate that it should be happening. Of all the peoples of the world the Japanese do their best to show themselves a noble and peaceful westernized society. They didn't ask for the earthquake, nor did they intend to harm anyone through the Fukushima disaster.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Ya betta go have a whine at Google too while you're at it. Approx 95,900,000 results in 0.13 seconds for the word Jap and approx 1,630,000 results in 0.18 seconds for the combined words of Nip & Jap. Please have a look... there will be something in that lot for you to bandy the racist rant at for sure. If anything it will keep you busy and you won't have time to type out your victim
hood here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join