It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My How Things Change...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I've mentioned a buddy of mine on here many times. He is 29 and he is currently undergoing his 3rd round of chemo and radiation for a very rare cancer that is bouncing all around his body. It started in an empty soft-tissue area, and was easily destroyed, but then it came back on a lymph drain and a muscle tissue, chemo wiped it out again, now it is back on a kidney and an eye.

This particular buddy played Division 1 football, is a certified life coach, and has always lived life to its extreme fullest! I have seen him drink 3 shifts of people under the table starting at lunch time, sending that group home for naps, continuing through dinner sending that group home for naps, and then partying in the clubs all night. Next morning, he is the first one up calling to invite everyone for breakfast!!

He rides Harleys, smokes cigars, and doesn't know how to say no to anything. I could write a novel on his life experiences in a short 29 years, from partying with Ice-T and Trick Daddy, to chauffeuring Jerry Rice around town. From Mardi Gras to Monday Night Football. He was in the locker room after the Auburn-Alabama game, and on the sideline at a Raven's playoff game. He can kick your ass at Halo, Madden, in the boxing ring, on the mat, or watching Jeopardy!! He knows more about American History than anyone I know, even though he didn't get to the US until he was a teenager.

I could go on all day, but here is the dilemma............

I got a surprise call from Mirthful Me this past week. He was coming through my town and he wanted to meet for another beer on his World Tour. I was up for it, the Heat were playing, so I called my good time buddy. He said NO.
He couldn't go, because he had YOGA!!

Now, it took me a little while to catch my breath from the shock and laughter, but then I had a chance to reflect. My buddy hasn't been drinking any beer lately. He told me that he had cut out all cigars. I realized he hasn't been eating anything at our recent barbecues. I entirely support his disciplined approach to kicking his cancer this time around. Turns out he is doing everything humanly possible to make sure there is no recurrence this time around. The same vigor he has always attacked life with, is now entirely devoted to attacking this cancer.

He is eating organically grown, non-GMO vegetables and often times he runs them through his recent juicer purchase. He is drinking pH altered water to change his body chemistry to an alkaline one, and he is even using little test strips for his urine to make sure it is working. He has cut out all red meat, and limits himself to less than 22oz of organic, hormone free fish and chicken per week.

He has lost about 25lbs, and he is looking great! Even while undergoing chemo and radiation treatments, he has been able to keep going to the gym, but he has also added Yoga and deep-breathing exercises to supplement his weight training!

He has let a girl move in with him for the first time ever, and he is acting entirely domesticated and even........polite and thoughtful?

I am immensely proud of my buddy, and I want nothing more than to see him kick this challenge for good! I can get on board with just about anything, and it looks like I will be going to Yoga this Thursday night! My next barbecue will feature all organic fish and chicken, no sausage, pork, burgers, or beef. No cigars. We'll still have beer in the fridge, but its looking like ice-water will be good enough for me and him!!

My how things change, huh?

I am married with 2 kids and a wife and a career, but I just never saw things changing so quickly? It seems like overnight, we have gotten old? My wife complains of some newly discovered wrinkles, my buddy is going to yoga and the organic market, and I am left scratching my head and reflecting on things.

Anyhow, I thought it was interesting enough to share with ATS, and I'm the type that just embraces whatever may come. I can roll with the tide, and we'll make the best of it. Welcome to the next section of my life I suppose.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You seem like a great type of friend to have...one who can roll with changes...and still care genuinely for friends who choose to change their lifestyles..Kudos to you for that

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Thanks gabby.

This thread has been on my mind since last week, but tonight is the first time that I seemed able to articulate it properly.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Best of luck to your buddy there...and you also since your so closely involved.

He sounds like a fighter though so I'm sure he'll pull through just fine. Not sure about the Yoga thing though

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
You are a true friend, rare quality in this day. Enjoy your Yoga, your buddy is giving you a gift, he is showing you how to live when given negative potentials, he is taking charge of his own body, and I believe he has all he needs to turn this into a positive. Your words, what a honor to your friend.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
kudos to you and your bud; sincerly hope he beats the cancer again this time, also hope he is taking a load of vitamin d; many of us need to change our lifestyle, and even though the world around us seems to have let the cheese slip off the cracker, encourage him to give it his best shot.

seeker

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by the seeker_713g

I'm not sure about Vitamin D, so I will check with him.

There are a few more things he is doing that I didn't mention. I think high-doses of Vitamin C is working in there, and after this round of chemo, he is heading down to the Caribbean for a Super-Immune booster treatment. He was telling me some story about research where compromised immune systems lead to higher incidences of cancer, so the flipside means that a hyperactive immune system might fight cancer. There is a treatment outside the US that consists of putting a cocktail of very dangerous, but dead, bacteria and viruses into the blood. It is supposed to throw the immune system into overdrive and help to kill off any lingering cancer cells before they can begin to grow.

I think he might even have another trick or two up his sleeve. He is taking the shotgun approach!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Thank you for posting that and here's to your friend's full health and recovery. I imagine your friend is pretty smart and eventually smart people figure out - if it didn't work twice, let's try something new. One thing you mentioned that is great thinking is accomodating your friends new healthy habits without making a fuss or really, even mentioning it. BBQ? Great! No reason healthy AND some slathered meaty goodness can't share the spotlight.

Your desrcription of your friend reminded me of a a few people I know too; full of life and a good friend. Just as family helps shape you, so do your friends. And you do them.

Also, even those that seem strong need a hand every now and then; in my experience, if it is something trivial like dropping off a bag of groceries, just do it - don't ask. Sound like you've been through this before, but maybe as your friend's approach is different, so will yours be. People don't know how fortunate they are to have good friends - good work on ya and good post - I'll be thinking of your friend.

CJ

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Thanks CJ, and you are right. Sometimes the smallest thoughtful gesture is the most meaningful. I am not naturally good at that, so I will keep trying to be as thoughtful as possible.

He is a strong character, and I know he won't let it get him down.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Definitely ask him about the vitamin d, for it boosts the natural immune system; there was a thread on here a few years back that actually had documented evidence from a university in Pennsylvania that vitamin d binding protein killed cancer; but we all know that a simple cure would nullify the 75 billion a year spent on research...

seeker

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Youre the right kind of friend to have, thoughtful and caring. Just keep on reaching out to him and if you think he needs help just give it to him, don't take no for an answer. Some people are just too darn proud to accept help.

I would also like to say that I send my most heartfelt wishes for his fight and recovery from cancer.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

It is important to get enough rest too. Lack of sleep will certainly increase the acidity of the blood. I don't know how some people go on without at least 8 hrs a night, and more when it's been a long day.

Glad he's made his lifestyle changes. There's plenty of information online that says cancer only thrives in acidic environments. By going toward the alkaline side, according to that information, he is helping himself. But, the body will balance itself over time. There is no such thing as consistently being alkaline. That too is unhealthy.

top topics

join