It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Survival: Show 12: I kicked that map into the creek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ba07808fc03.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net

The gathered a panel of hosts, include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies, with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
Ahabstar
12m8keall2c
Asktheanimals
and
Advisor

This weeks show is about orienteering, navigation, map reading and movement with stealth. And while the title isn't the exact line from The Blair Witch Project, the T&C's have to be upheld, knowing how to read a terrain map is a very valuable skill. So bring your compass and get ready for a show that we have talked about doing since the very beginning of our layout of future show topics.

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us some listeners while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. And be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

edit on 9-6-2011 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:59:55 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu, 09 Jun 2011 21:15:16 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Good to know. Glad to see that people in the community are passing useful information along to the rest of us.
Just subscribed to the youtube channel, will check out the videos posted up so far.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Ive passed S.E.R.E can i be on the show

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Lolz at the title!

Ahem - What?

No, I haven't done that or anything like that...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubjectSixteen
Ive passed S.E.R.E can i be on the show

Sure, all you need is to get Skype, add semperfortisats as a contact, and send him a text that you would like to come on the air and share your experiences with the listeners..

We were very fortunate to have member BearTruth on last week to share some great information on canning..

Hope to hear from you this evening

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You should have my wife on the panel...

cant tell you how many times she said, "Put down that Damn Map and Just ask someone where it is!"

Of course now that we have a GPS in the car, she argues with it....

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
We will be **On The Air** in less than an hour..

Please join us, and if you have some tips that you would like to share, get on skype and send semper a text..

We would love to hear your thoughts on the show..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SubjectSixteen

I would REALLY love to have a SERE "graduate" on the show..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Great show everyone! I hope you are getting more and more listeners each week. Did you see how many for this time?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Casing

Hard to tell

Some listen on Shoutcast
Some on Illustrial
Some through here

We so enjoy doing it, we would do it if it was only you listening

We do think it is important..

THANK YOU so much for the support

Semper

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I enjoy the show. Problem is I'm running in all different directions all the time. Missed it last night.

I dont carry maps of any kind. I do read them and commit the information to memory since its only me. Would have liked to listen in on that show for sure since I'm helping a few folks along the way, and that is clearly important.

Is it allowed to add a permalink to the youtube channel here somewhere?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have to tell this story. A couple of years ago was with my son on a Boy Scout Campout at a National Park. We were there to learn the basics of climbing and rappelling. Well to get to the location for rappelling we trekked over-land instead of sticking to the trail (which cut about 1.5 - 2 hrs hiking). We got to our destination and did our rappelling.

After my “turn” I heard the wife of the Scoutmaster say she wanted to go back to camp along with a younger scout (her son). I chose to tag along to make sure they got back to camp (she had already got “disoriented” on a previous trek).

No one had checked their compasses or even looked at a map of the surroundings before heading out. However as I have a serious aversion to being “lost” I had noted to myself some geographic markers that I would have to line myself up with to get back to the trail (ie the cell tower would have to be directly behind me and in the distance the hill with the chunk out would have to be directly in front of me).

I allowed the scout to lead the way back to camp and knew within minutes he had no idea where he was going. I followed for approx 15 minutes before I stopped the scout and asked if either he or his mother had any idea where we were. They didn’t. They also could not tell from which direction we had just come from. They hadn’t been checking their compasses, looking behind them to see what the terrain looked like so could know where to go if we had to turn around, nothing. I then led the way back to camp showing the scout what and where things went wrong for him.

Always keep track of where you have been. You may need to back track to an area where you knew you weren’t “lost” and start again! By simply taking note of geographical formations and being aware of my surroundings, has saved me many times. And take every opportunity to train your children how to navigate.

new topics

top topics

join