It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Unleashes Powerful Eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Sun Unleashes Powerful Eruption

www.space.com

The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today (June 7) in a dazzling eruption that kicked up a vast cloud of magnetic plasma that appeared to rain back down over half of the sun's entire surface, NASA scientists say.

The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT (0641 GMT), but the actual flare extended over a three-hour period, said C. Alex Young, a solar astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center who runs a website called The Sun Today, in a video describing the event.

"The sun produced a quite spectacular prominence eruption that had a solar flare and high-energy pa
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com[/ url]
[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/video-huge-explosion-on-sun---what-does-it-mean/2011/06/07/AGEh0MLH_blog.html]www .washingtonpost.com

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It seems that the sun has been very active this year. Does anyone know if this will affect our crazy weather even more? There had been reports of this affecting our communications systems also. Not really sure what they mean by that though. I know there was some major solar activity around the time of the Japan quake.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
not trying to steal your thread, but theres already a topic about it..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Ill take a geuss and say its headed towards venus

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Duplicate thread. and it was just an M2

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is scary stuff.

But in my opinion these types of solar storms have been around for million of years, we've just never had the technology to detect them.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

I wasn't sure if this was on ATS, thanks for letting me know, Mods do as you please. The picture of the storm itself is just amazing.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveArs

I am curious in what ways this can disrupt our communications on earth. Is it similar to an EMP blast? I really do not know too much about this sun business, that's why I am asking.

new topics

top topics

join