It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanna Py 1 dollar more for gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Still, U.S. automakers have traditionally shuddered at the idea of high gas prices. That's because higher prices can lower the company's revenue and profitability since smaller, more fuel-efficient cars have lower sticker prices and profits for the automakers. Higher pump prices can also slow the economy as a whole. Earlier this year Akerson told CNNMoney that if gas hit $4.50 a gallon, "you would probably see people stop visiting our showrooms." But Paul Ballew, chief economist at insurer Nationwide who was formerly a director of sales analysis at GM, said it's always been clear within the auto industry that given the choice between tougher fuel economy standards and higher gas prices, the latter is a better deal for the automakers. "They're not going to get it though, because that would take a lot of sanity in Washington and we're not going to see that," he said.

Could driving tax replace the gas tax? "There ought to be a discussion on the cost versus the benefits," Akerson told the paper. "What we are going to do is tax production here, and that will cost us jobs." Martin acknowledged such a gas tax hike would be very difficult, if not impossible, to pass, and added that GM is not going to actively push for a gas tax hike as part of its legislative agenda. "As a company we understand that's a decision that resides with Congress and policymakers," he said. The current federal gas tax is only 18.4 cents a gallon. GM has gained U.S. market share so far this year, even in the face of rising gas prices. It has the best selling compact car in the country, the Chevrolet Cruze, which was introduced to showrooms in November. At his first annual meeting since the company's initial public offering, Akerson told shareholders GM has been able to weather the storm of high oil prices even better than it expected when it was making contingency plans last year. "I maintain these are the right vehicles at the right time in our history," he said.

Akerson said he would support a jump in the gas tax if it came instead of tighter fuel economy regulations that GM (GM, Fortune 500) and other automakers will have to meet in coming years. By the year 2025, automakers could be forced to hit fuel economy averages of as much as 62 mpg. Akerson said that a higher gas tax, including an immediate 50-cent-a-gallon increase to take advantage of recent declines in gas prices, would probably make some of his Republican friends "puke." But he said it would do more to help the environment than the pending fuel economy rules.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- General Motors CEO Dan Akerson said his company and his industry would be helped, not hurt, if consumers paid higher gas taxes. In an interview published in Tuesday's Detroit News, Akerson floated the idea of a $1 a gallon increase in the gas tax as a way to encourage buyers to purchase smaller, more fuel efficient cars. Greg Martin, spokesman for GM's Washington office, confirmed that the quotes reflect Akerson's and GM's view.
money.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wolveseyes

An additional $1 hike in gas prices?! BITE MY SHINY METAL A**!!! Does he want to crash the economy cause that's what will happen. People will not buy cars, period and those that are out there will be put in storage indefinitely. Long Haul truck drivers would be forced off the road as well. No one will want to be a long haul trucker if diesel is pushing $6 and up per gallon. Prices for everything would skyrocket and even Wal-mart would no longer be able to sell stuff for the lowest levels. Dollar stores...kiss them Good-Bye as well. Want to pay $12 for a double Whopper combo at BK? Someone's got to pay the cost of fuel and thanks to someone bright idea generations ago, it's in vogue to pass the costs onto the end customer...US! Lawmakers don't have to worry about higher gas prices, do they? Does the President worry about $4.50 per gallon? Nope. We fund his gas. But, we're the ones looking at $4 a gallon and unless there is another "correction" in oil prices that forces them down to $60 a barrel...there won't be any gas under $3 anywhere in the country! And within a year or so, we'll be paying $5 or more per gallon, plus the price hikes at every single store and restaurant in the country. Cars will go up as well cause the auto makers aren't going to absorb the higher transportation costs. We all LOSE people. one persons quote on the web page

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
We have been spoiled rotten in the US! We pay 1/2 of what the rest of the world pays for gasoline at the pump. The "commuter economy" is coming to an end and that is just reality. It is time to make some REAL changes in our society as a whole. 20 years ago we had cars that got 40+ miles to the gallon! Where are they now?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

A proposed driving tax would basically nationalize individual consumers, and place us under big brother's monitoring even more than ever. Said tax could not be collected without obtaining data from individual private vehicles as they move x miles from state to state or inside a state.

I say instead, we assert as citizens that courtesy of the bailouts, we are the largest block of investors in GM and therefor nationalize it and other automakers who took the bailouts.

I wonder what mr A$$licker would say when his golden-parachute wasn't worth my retirement?

P.O.S

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
We have been spoiled rotten in the US! We pay 1/2 of what the rest of the world pays for gasoline at the pump.

I pay the equivalent of about US$1.60 per litre for 91 RON - and there are countries that pay even more....

The "commuter economy" is coming to an end and that is just reality.

Yep - reality bites

mydarkpassenger wrote:

A proposed driving tax would basically nationalize individual consumers, and place us under big brother's monitoring even more than ever. Said tax could not be collected without obtaining data from individual private vehicles as they move x miles from state to state or inside a state.

So tax it at the pump like the rest of the world does

edit on 7-6-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
unfortunately it is a reality. I just don't want to pay more to drive a car. I barely make 9 dollars an hour 1 hour out of eight is spent on my gas tank every 2 days I drive a chevy cavalier. gas is 3.79 a gal. it reaches almost a gal at that price. keyword almost. at 4.79 a gallon i would lose my job because i have food to put in my 2 kids stomachs.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

and feed the already rich ceo's of corperate america. I just can't see im 200. dollars above poverty and about 20,000.00 below middle class

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

so when do we fall.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolveseyes

and feed the already rich ceo's of corperate america. I just can't see im 200. dollars above poverty and about 20,000.00 below middle class

In these parts the station margin for gas is about 3 cents per litre - and I take a train to work!

the US is simply going to have to radically redo it's transport infrastrcture to favour mass transit instead of individuals in motor cars for commuting - it's not impossible, but it is going to hurt fo a while.

new topics

top topics

join