It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steven Spielberg Confirms Reagan Extraterrestrial Comment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I just came across this interview with Steven Spielberg where he confirms that at a private screening of ET: The Extra-Terrestrial at the White House president Reagan told him that everything on that screen is absolutely true .

Now it must be said that Spielberg says that he took it as a joke as did the assorted VIP's that were also present at the screening , but Reagan gave no hint of a smile or glint in the eye .
Spielberg also referred to himself as "a little bit of a Ufologist" , no great surprise there really .

He just stood up and he looked around the room, almost like he was doing a headcount, and he said, “I wanted to thank you for bringing E.T. to the White House. We really enjoyed your movie,” and then he looked around the room and said, “And there are a number of people in this room who know that everything on that screen is absolutely true.” And he said it without smiling! But he said that and everybody laughed, by the way. The whole room laughed because he presented it like a joke, but he wasn’t smiling as he said it.
www....(nolink)/spielberg-confirms-reagan-705/

edit on 7-6-2011 by gortex because: Edit to add correct film title

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I think you mean a private screening of E.T, not close encounters
2nd

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If only Spielberg did this when Reagen was alive

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythos13

DOH!!! , thanks for the correction

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

S & F.

But it was E.T.

I can imagine Reagan doing that; he had a great poker-face.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythos13
reply to post by gortex

I think you mean a private screening of E.T, not close encounters
2nd

if it was E.T, then it was definitely a joke
2nd

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

Thats why he is saying it now. Probably most the people in that room that could dispute the claim are either dead, or so old they can not remember the conversation.

I am not saying its untrue, but we were not there to hear the comment, so will never know if it was meant to be a joke, or if he was serious.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I tend to agree with you. If it was not a joke, and everything was absolutly true, then why have the aliens not come back for our reese pieces supply?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Like mythos13 said you got your films mixed up buddy.
Sounds like Ronald was in fact making a joke.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I highly doubt he was serious. the president is a temp. they don't get the clearance for that kind of knowledge.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Joke. The left likes to portray Reagan as stupid, but he was anything but. Once he was given a tour of the Star Trek set. Somehow the conversation turned to illnesses and Reagan said he had this disease, but he wasn't sure what it was called. He looked confused and turned to the audience and asked, "What's the name of that disease when you forget things?" Of course, if yo think he's stupid you'll fall for the trap.

"Alzheimers!" everyone yells out (Ironic, as it turns out.)

Reagan lights up and says, "Yes, but I have a particular kind of Alzheimers."

"What kind?" asks the audience.

"I have Irish Alzheimers!" Reagan sets the hook.

"What is that?" asks the puzzled audience.

"Oh!" he says, "That's when you forget everything but a grudge."

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tombangelta

post by tombangelta
Sounds like Ronald was in fact making a joke.

Maybe ...or was he referencing the ET crash retrieval bodies that were allegedly held at area 51 , as Spielberg said there was no hint from the president that he was joking , given Reagan's past references to ET's maybe the laughter from the assembled VIP's was of a nervous kind .

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Haven't you seen Paul? Of course its all true, they got Seth Rogan's Grey Doppleganger at Area 51 giving us all movie ideas!

but for real, it does make you wonder how much of this tech is actually real and what is sci-fi, unless we have (secretly of course) advanced so much there is no Sci-fi!

cool article thanks for sharing

Mac

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I highly doubt he was serious. the president is a temp. they don't get the clearance for that kind of knowledge.

Yep, although that is usually true, the people controlling that information have long been said to be the older republicans, and I have read that some presidents that were trusted by those people deep in the military, told them some good tidbits at least,(even without the usual paperwork clearances (rumoured).. But when Carter was elected those good old boys didn't trust him one bit, and it was Bush senior that denied that info to carter.. then with Bush as Reagans' VP, some people think he briefed Reagan quite a lot of info...(Bush has been said to have known everything on those subjects as CIA since JFK) .. Same thing about Clinton being denied any info..

This is mostly conjecture on my part, but other insiders have also said mostly these same things..doesn't mean it's true of course, but it sounds good

Even if Reagan was serious, it is of course doubtful anyone would have openly confirmed anything in a room full of officials and others, many of them probably sworn to secrecy even.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

S & F.

But it was E.T.

You don't know the half of it.I suggest you check out Reagan and his frequent references to ETs in his speeches. (I figured all folks on ATS were aware of those comments.) On a connecting aspect, he tried to get the USSR's president at the time, Gorbachev, to join the US in the Star Wars program. On the face of what that program was supposedly about, deterring Soviet weapons, that makes no sense unless the program was intended for (giggle, giggle) deterring ETs and not the Soviets. There is more than meets the eye in this, and it is all a matter of official record if you doubt any of my words.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
not sure about you guys but did you ever get the feeling when watching Close Encounters that the depiction of the events in that movie almost seem a little too real? I mean, if I were to document a Real sighting/landing scenario, how much closer to life could Spielberg have gotten? (talking about the mass-deception, the fake bio spill, the panic caused etc)
edit on 7-6-2011 by TXRabbit because: spelling

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

S & F.

But it was E.T.

Reagan was an actor before he got into politics. It sounds like he just made a joke.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
i thought he said this referring to 'close encounters', i remember reading a quote something like "You dont know how close to the truth this is".
but if he said it about ET then i guess it was a joke as that film was pretty stupid.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
wow!
never knew Reagan said that to Spielberg. But I would've assumed aswell that he's joking, he was afterall a very funny man that Reagan.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Spielberg himself says that Reagan was making a joke...

Steven Spielberg: I don’t think he let something slip there, no. I think he delivered a joke without smiling, without a little bit of a twinkle behind the joke. I think the joke landed because everybody laughed, but because I’m a little bit of a Ufologist I was hoping that there was something more to the joke than met my eye. I’m sorry to say I think he was simply trying to tell a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join