It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The FBI Needs ATS Members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well seems the fbi and a great many cryptologists are STUMPED

Does ATS have the spunk to solve the riddle...well lets get to work shall we....

BREAKDOWN:

Cryptanalysts
Part 2: Help Solve an Open Murder Case

03/29/11

On June 30, 1999, sheriff’s officers in St. Louis, Missouri discovered the body of 41-year-old Ricky McCormick. He had been murdered and dumped in a field. The only clues regarding the homicide were two encrypted notes found in the victim’s pants pockets.

Despite extensive work by our Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit (CRRU), as well as help from the American Cryptogram Association, the meanings of those two coded notes remain a mystery to this day, and Ricky McCormick’s murderer has yet to face justice.

“We are really good at what we do,” said CRRU chief Dan Olson, “but we could use some help with this one.”

In fact, Ricky McCormick’s encrypted notes are one of CRRU’s top unsolved cases. “Breaking the code,” said Olson, “could reveal the victim’s whereabouts before his death and could lead to the solution of a homicide. Not every cipher we get arrives at our door under those circumstances.”

SOURCE

sound interesting....here is the letters

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5a445b4081d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/320246c39fc9.jpg[/atsimg]

a bit of bckground:

The more than 30 lines of coded material use a maddening variety of letters, numbers, dashes, and parentheses. McCormick was a high school dropout, but he was able to read and write and was said to be “street smart.” According to members of his family, McCormick had used such encrypted notes since he was a boy, but apparently no one in his family knows how to decipher the codes, and it’s unknown whether anyone besides McCormick could translate his secret language. Investigators believe the notes in McCormick’s pockets were written up to three days before his death.

That’s where the public comes in. The FBI has always relied on tips and other assistance from the public to solve crimes, and although breaking a code may represent a special circumstance, your help could aid the investigation. Take a look at McCormick’s two notes. If you have an idea how to break the code, have seen similar codes, or have any information about the Ricky McCormick case, send them to us online at forms.fbi.gov... write to CRRU at the following address:

FBI Laboratory
Cryptanalysis and Racketeering Records Unit
2501 Investigation Parkway
Quantico, VA 22135
Attn: Ricky McCormick Case

There is no reward being offered, just a challenge—and the satisfaction of knowing that your brain power might help bring a killer to justice

Well people lets get at it and solve it here first....please put forwrds any thoughts or ideas....

heck maybe even if anyone knows of mister McCormick that could be useful....lets get to work.....lets show what ATS can do....Rather than just talk the talk....LeT's walk the Walk shall we.

the first thing i notice is the use of RSE over and over in a strange collection of arangements....se and be seem to be in conjunctionalot.....while E is the most common letter n the alphabet it does not seem to fit in any kind of commonality pattern here.....would also help if anyone knew if This Ricky fellow had use of any othr languaages.

Now knowing this is a conspiracy site remember to beware...the FBI could be on a fishing expeditionion for new agents.....so any info on the case at hand in the real world would be helpful...like news articles and such....have fun fellow crime solvers.

edit on 6/7/2011 by Mirthful Me because: All Caps Title.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

I remember a few threads such as this one many months ago. It is no doubt interesting to those that have not heard about it before.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
RSE=The?
I dunno maybe because you see it alot and although there are no spaces it could be possible.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Have someone type out character for character what's in the note, and I'll give it a shot. I was stumped last time because I couldn't make out a bunch of the letters. It was a waste of time.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Sign me up! Does it pay well? Oh, that's right. I am signed up. And it does pay well. Good luck future FBIers!

CJ

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Here's the original mega thread. I believe they may have solved it here. Don't feel like reading through it all again, but check it out.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by plube

I remember a few threads such as this one many months ago. It is no doubt interesting to those that have not heard about it before.

umm.. it's not interesting because some have never seen it before, it's interesting because we could potentially solve a murder case here. in my opionion it should be a sticky so EVERYONE sees it.

this is not a conspiracy, which may or may not be real. this is in fact real, beyond any doubt, this man is dead, and unraveling of this mystery just may help to bring his murderer to justice and give his family some closure.

S & F

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hey there ATS'ers,

Just on a personal level, i would strictly avoid this case. I do understand that a life is in need, or so we are told, but i cant help but think there is something more to this.

With the info wars really booming of late (thanks to the MSM covering covering just about every possible hack as of currently) this is all smells a bit fishy. Perhaps the governments way of getting ATS affiliated with the FBI to further investigate how much the "people" can do.

In the end, this simply seems like profiling to me. If you let them know what you can do, they will not forget.

Be weary of your inteligence, remain strictly "ANONOMYS"

Late

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If they need work done, they need to offer some money.

It's simple. There's too many people unemployed for anyone to be working for free.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
After looking at the code for a minute, it appears to be encyphered shorthand.

That's just what it looks like to me. I might take a crack at it later.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Umm, how do they know it was his and was not put there by the killer?

top topics

join