It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flooding causes alert to be issued at Omaha nuclear plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Flooding causes alert to be issued at Omaha nuclear plant

www.khastv.com

The Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant has declared a low-level emergency because of flooding on the missouri river.

The river has reached a level where the Omaha Public Power District declared a "n otification of unusual event."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
And its only begun. Funny thing is, I have been telling people not to forget about our own Nuclear plants, especially with recent flood waters, and abnormal amounts of quakes. Im almost posiitive things are going to get much worse.

I guess we're just lucky that it was only a low level alert. But, by looking at the video, those waters were really close, and I can only assume that its going to get closer.

Will check back soon after work.

www.khastv.com

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chickensalad

And its only begun. Funny thing is, I have been telling people not to forget about our own Nuclear plants, especially with recent flood waters, and abnormal amounts of quakes. Im almost posiitive things are going to get much worse.

I guess we're just lucky that it was only a low level alert. But, by looking at the video, those waters were really close, and I can only assume that its going to get closer.

Will check back soon after work.

www.khastv.com

Links not working.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
hopefully the back-up generators are not underground or below the water table....

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
not good. Hopefully it stays at this level and doesn't go up.
The last thing we need is another nuclear disaster

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

The area of this plant is significant as well. If your worried about GMO crops, wait till the Ogallala Aquifer gets radiated. There's some worries.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The flooding in this area is getting worse, they have already evacuated one small town, and said they won't be able to return until after December. This is all runoff from The Army Corps of Engineers blowing the damn. It WILL get worse, and if contingencies aren't put into place, this will be catastrophic for the Mid-West and the US's food supply. The Aquifer i mentioned is HUGE and accounts for all the drinking water in the central US. Its also used to water fields and sent to other states. Without that aquifer, we have no future in this area basically.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by youwouldknow

yes the link is working, just checked it several times.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
hopefully the back-up generators are not underground or below the water table....

And hopefully the Siemens SCADA PLC in the plant is not riddled with STUXNET which could be activated once the waters start a risin'

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
funny how people only care about the doom that is reported on TV.......when its real and effects us, its not important, unless Fox reports on it

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel Kent

Originally posted by Signals

And hopefully the Siemens SCADA PLC in the plant is not riddled with STUXNET which could be activated once the waters start a risin'

PEACE,
RK

And hopefully we all wake up to the fact that this crap is startin' to sound suspicious....

Ain't it?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
This is pretty much my back yard. After reading about what really happened in Japan I will be on the other side of the state the moment i hear this place floods...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
UPDATE: Neb. nuclear plant briefly loses pumps that cool spent fuel during suspected electrical blaze

The electrical system running the pumps that cool spent fuel in a pool of water was disrupted by a suspected electrical fire Tuesday, though one pump was restored shortly after the incident and another was running Wednesday, utility officials said.

www.washingtonpost.com... H_story.html

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
link doesn't work, and this didn't appear in any local news source here

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretNebraska
link doesn't work, and this didn't appear in any local news source here

flood is always happening there

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

www.nebraska.tv...

More links to info on the case.

again, i checked the link in my previous post and am having no problems. i've even checked them from other pcs.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
enenews.com...

Containment building flooded at Nebraska nuke plant in order to cool fuel rods
June 15th, 2011 at 02:21 AM

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

just a few other threads that are started on the subject now......

don't forget who was the first to bring you the news though!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
www.wowt.com... 123878599.html?ref=599
From the air the nuclear plant looks like it is about to be swallowed up by the Missouri River but on the ground you can see that man is controlling nature, or at least keeping her in check.

Jeff Hanson says, "We're protected far above where this is projected to go."
ADVERTISEMENT

It helps that the facility was built to withstand a 500-year flood event and Hanson says there are feet of protection between the Missouri and the important structures on site.

That was before the aqua dams were put in place. Hanson says the plant has plans and procedures in place and practice flood defense. The aqua dams add another layer of protection from flooding.

Jeff Hanson says, "Protecting the vital assets we have sandbagged and placed earthen berms around the substations which guarantees the power can get into the plant to keep the plant powered."

The facility was taken offline to refuel earlier this year so the containment building has been flooded by OPPD in order to cool the fuel rods.

Hanson adds they have a number of backup systems in place to continue to pump clean water through the spent fuel pool and into the reactor containment building so he says there is nothing to fear.

The College World Series starts this week in Omaha with George W. Bush throwing the first pitch. That is if the flooding doesn't backup through the sewers to much. One of the parking lots has already gotten flooded.
www.ketv.com... 28237459/detail.html

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
www.ketv.com...

OMAHA, Neb. -- Fort Calhoun's nuclear power plant is one of three reactors across the country that federal regulators said they are most concerned about.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission officials said Fort Calhoun's reactor is operating safely, but it's still on the shortlist because they want to make sure it's prepared to handle major emergencies, like flooding

Just ran across this doing some research. Its dated March 31 2011. This sounds a little fishy to me, considering for one, the guy that runs the place is quoted as saying that he doesn't believe there's going to be a problem. And for two, why were regulators all of a sudden worried about Fort Calhoun? Granted, they could have forseen upcoming floods coming from ice melt and what not, but why now?

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along. Keepin ya updated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join