It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane Gas from Cows Can Now Be Measured?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Well now.. researchers have now figured out how to measure green house gases from cow waste...

Now that they are able to measure, what's next?

...use these figures to be able to implement carbon taxes on cattle & sheep farmers?

....use the information to create a chemical to put into the feed to inhibit methane production?

...use the information to design and mandate some new MCUs (Methane Collection Units) in order to be able to convert to biogas?

One thing's for sure, the researchers didn't get the grant money to just play with cow poo..

sciencedaily.com

Scientists could have a revolutionary new way of measuring how much of the potent greenhouse gas methane is produced by cows and other ruminants, thanks to a surprising discovery in their poo.

Researchers from the University of Bristol and the Teagasc Animal and Grassland Research Centre in Ireland, have found a link between methane production and levels of a compound called archaeol in the feces of several fore-gut fermenting animals including cows, sheep and deer.

edit on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:47:49 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Maybe for cap and trade? Figuring out how much a rancher's cows can fart before they get fined for passing the limit? The article makes a vague reference to 'carbon budgets' so it is possible.

Also, don't forget about the proposed tax on farting cows mentioned a while back. Just Google 'tax farting cows' and you will see results.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

That would be my first guess as well... being able to put a mathematical figure to the emissions of cow waste = the ability for the government to tax those emissions...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I wouldn't be shocked if the next thing they did was start charging each of us a fart tax! Coming soon to a store near you... cute undies with a flatulence meter built in! All colors shapes and sizes!

You spray you pay! You blow you owe!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

more like strapping a meter to your nostrils and mouth. pay to breathe.
al gore has been laying low, but his minions have been busy i see.

but these ignorants only tackle the issues they see fit...

so they can alter chickens to grow larger, featherless and such, so its easier and faster to mass slaughter for our consumption.

but they can't make cows not fart?

oh right i know why, provides the right excuses for new taxes.

if the amounts of methane were anything significant, they would already have plugged tubes to the cows back.ends to collect the methane, as its the number one component of natural gas.

this to say, if the release of methane was that massive to effect the atmosphere they would be already collecting it and selling it back to us.

but since their obvious solution will be taxation, im pretty sure methane from cows is not really in very large concentration.

edit: follow the funding and the money, and soon it will smell alot of not methane, but eugenics...

www.leverhulme.ac.uk...

www.populationfootprints.org...

www.thelancet.com...

follow the white rabbit alice, go ahead.
edit on 7/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

www.thelancet.com...(11)60512-6/fulltext

Interpretation The health of young people has been largely neglected in global public health because this age group is perceived as healthy. However, opportunities for prevention of disease and injury in this age group are not fully exploited. The findings from this study suggest that adolescent health would benefit from increased public health attention.

did they have to use the word exploited?

brutal honesty, because yes public health is extortion

totally offtopic i know, but i went down the methane hole and it does reek everywhere i look

edit on 7/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join