It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima fallout greater than thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Source

Following a massive underestimate straight after the earthquake and tsunami that triggered the crisis, in April NISA said that between 370,000 and 630,000 terabecquerels were released between 11 and 15 March, putting the crisis at level 7, the most severe category on the international scale used to rate nuclear accidents.

Now NISA has boosted the figure to 770,000 TBq based on a computer model and newly available data from TEPCO, which owns Fukushima. "This is more realistic," says Morikuni Makino of NISA.

It seems nothing short of miraculous to me that regardless of how many people "told you so" The media wasn't going to report this until global attention was diverted elsewhere...

I'm not even sure how to comment on the matter - except to say that even this 'new' estimate' is probably "optimistic."

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
If I was in the same country I'd be worried but what can I do about it ? I'm not powerful or even special for that matter, that about of fallout would probably kill a time lord let alone anything else. I mean we do the best we can, but worry is only going to stress us out. The stress will kill us quicker then the fall out, i've been having panic attacks/hyperventilation all day.

But you know what happens when people stress out right ? Fear, panic and craze. Enjoy the party while you're here, life can be f-ed up
edit on 7-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

yea I love how this whole crisis just dropped off the radar on the msm. Their focused on Syria now, and maybe Iran soon if we decide to bomb them with Isreal. Thank you very much for posting this. I wonder if this whole Japan thing has affected other countries through ocean currents, and if it has, I wonder if they'll admit it. Also I wonder how much damage ocean life has taken.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Keeping track of what the MSM are saying is like keeping track of an Olympic table tennis game... sped up.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Keeping track of what the MSM are saying is like keeping track of an Olympic table tennis game... sped up.

i always hear the benny hill theme in my head when somone says this sort of thing about MSM

link

They are like magpies, always after the latest shiniest story rather than keeping up with the developments on the most servere of them.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Sitting in Joplin with our issues............But this is a much larger issue for all of us.........

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I REALLY REALLY think there is more to this, to add.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I myself would love discloser from my local media about the true dangers if any from this on the west coast of north america. But one thing i found at the bottom of the article where it mentions the release from Chernobly

It is less than Chernobyl, which released 5,200,000 TBq, and is unlikely to alter the risk of cancer deaths compared with the April estimate, says Peter Burns, former CEO of the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency.

So stating less than Chernobyl bye a long shot, but with new reports coming out daily about how bad it really is I wouldn't be surprised to see the release amount raise again. Just real disheartening that right after we heard about level spikes in rainwater, milk, grass clippings, etc, then it all sort of just got washed away, I guess I'm to believe. Because there hasn't been a tidbit of info except the 4 liner reports the MSM rehash from Tepco on a regular basis.

Been a boon doggle of garbage out of the Japanese Government, and a series of lies from Tepco I feel for the people of Japan but have a great distaste for you government and private sector right now......

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
With all of the information available from ATS members research it was quite obvious the situation was much worse than it was being portrayed in the MSM. There was also a lot of information not available that should have been, and when bits of it came out later it has consistently been worse than expected by most. I think throughout all of this the best thing to do is assume any missing information is missing due to being too alarming to report. Read their releases like a lawyer, my favorite is "no immediate risk to health", of course not cancer takes some time to develop so technically a true yet deceptive statement.

Is this coming out now to desensitize us to what is coming next? I believe there is a lot more to come and this could well pale in comparison. When they were saying "it is not as bad as Chernobyl" maybe that was lawyerspeak as well (not as bad=much worse). Chernobyl was Level 7 on the INES scale and now we have nuclear engineers petitioning IAEA to create a new Level 8, so the have a spot on the scale for Fukushima.

Don't assume there is nothing you can do though. Learn ways to mitigate your exposure, especially your children. It may have started 3 months ago but this is an ongoing disaster that in reality has only just begun. There will be several decades of cleanup after they get things under control, assuming that is even possible according to TEPCO it would be sometime next year at the earliest.
edit on 7-6-2011 by KaiserSoze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Also I wonder how much damage ocean life has taken.

Youll find out pretty soon when we all have to take rad pills with lunch.

Anyone feel like a tuna fish sandwich?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
so what does this mean?
300,000 dead in 5 yrs?
1 Million dead in 10 yrs
due to cancer ???
what does it mean
in layman's terms ???

edit on 6/7/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

why worry the cig smoke the water or you eat food, but air you breath will get you before the exposure will.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Rad pills won't help much.
The only pills you can get are for Iodine which already has an extremely short half life.
By the time it reaches us from Japan, its almost decayed by half.

Basically theres nothing we can do about this except seal up the source of the radiation.
And the only people this really endangers 100% is Japan, and the immediately sorrounding countries

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
And this begs the question as to wtf is taking so freaking long to get some sort of cement containment on it?!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

We are talking about alot of cement here. 3? 6? reactors theres no real solution for that amount of reactors plus the temperature need to be stabilised.

Dont worry tho, like a russian doll, another story will eat up another one and another ... 'till you know what.

new topics

top topics

join