It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin is NOT a brown dwarf

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here is a link to a photo of a brown dwarf. The site explains how the photo was taken.

apod.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

That is an amazing rendering, are there more?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Why did he change his mind?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by timmhaines

A comet is a small chunk of left over material from the formation of a solar system. They are, in essence, a "dirty snowball." They have a small, compact central body called a "nucleus" composed of rock and ice a few kilometers across. The Sun's heat causes the frozen ice and gases to heat up and expand into a large cloud called the "coma," which can be tens or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers across. Although large, these comae are practically a perfect vacuum. The pressure of the solar wind and sunlight sweeps these gases away from the Sun, forming the comet's tail. The Earth has passed through these tails many times with no ill effect; the result is usually a meteor shower as the tiny particles of dust burn up in the Earth's atmosphere. Read more here.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Why did he change his mind?

He didn't. He claimed that the doomsday predictions were a hoax, and apparently someone misunderstood him. Pay attention, please.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Even a small brown dwarf would have sufficient mass to disrupt the orbits of the planets.

I swear people want it to be a brown dwarf or rogue planet so YES it is a brown dwarf and we're all gonna die in October

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I'm still not sure what you're arguing. I thought it was that G1.9+0.3 is an approaching brown dwarf, but G1.9+0.3 ha been shown conclusively to be a supernova remnant 25,000 LY away. The only ones claiming differently are the StarViewer Team whose legitimacy has been questioned by many and have seemingly disappeared since their "research" has been brought into question.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Cool. I guess it's actually some other colour???

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Tom_Proctor

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by badw0lf
reply to post by Tom_Proctor

PROVE IT.

Please.. make them stop,,, prove it prove it prove it pleassseeeseeee....

Not to mention, Leonoid Elenin (the guy who discovered the comet), used lfvn.astronomer.ru... which has no infrared telescopes.

Leonoid Elenin ... also the same man who said this thing doesn't exist? .. he told reporters his name was tied to an internet hoax, the internet hoax was posted on April 1st and has ran away with a life of it's own ever since

Can you please provide links to a legit source that says Leonoid Elenin said it doesn't exist?

Actually I do stand somewhat corrected because I had a mistranslation of the interview.. here's how it goes ( and it's all over ATS if you do a search ) ..

A real comet was discovered by Elenin and automatically named after him, as is the general rule for things like that.. normal comet that will be a long distance from earth but can be spotted in October with the naked eye using something like a telescope.. mind you, comets get discovered fairly regularly.

On April 1st Argentine astronomers posted a snapshot along with a sensationalist article mentioning the comet was headed straight toward earth and appeared to be followed by what could be a fleet of UFOs.. this is when the Elenin mythology went viral..

“This issue continues to gain momentum. For instance, during the first week of May, the number of records of the comet Elenin are 30 times the number of posts that we made in April. “

The image commonly used is a comet but the image was supposed to also portray alien ships behind it which Elenin describes are just stars

This is actually a star. Just under a certain process of adding a few frames from the velocity of the comet, these stars are pulled in tracks.(???) In principle, any astronomer should know about this.

A text source: Russian astronomer Leonid Elenin comes out to debunk the "Extinction Level Event" psy-op

edit on 7-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

Wow, shows how little you know. First you spout off crap saying Elenin himself said it was a hoax and then you went off and actually researched it.

The Elenin thing gained traction on after the Tohoku quake when people like 9Narnia on YouTube posted videos showing alignments with earthquakes. Whatever, it's all nonense.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
The bible hasn't lied yet and thousands have already spotted the Brown Dwarf Star but no Comet.

Incredible. People like this really exist.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Sky watcher

One, No it has 4 times the mass but not the physical size. Jupiter is a gas giant, Brown Dwarfs are mainly Iron Oxide. IE: Giant rust ball

Sorry. Completely wrong. A brown dwarf would have upwards of 10Jm. They contain very little iron, They are mainly hydrogen.

Two, It does not reflect hardly any light or emit it.

Completely wrong - Again! Brown dwarfs are reflective which is why one was photographed in the optical range at a distance of 9 light years.

Comets and their tails would be easily spotted by now.

The tail and coma were spotted long ago.

Three, It wont reflect even the suns light till it gets really close to us.

That sounds like two, but I'll let you get another error.

That's 3 whopping failures out of 3. Please read up on brown dwarfs. You missed on mass, composition, and reflectivity.

edit on 7-6-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

I saluteand applaud you for tryig to bring reason and logic to truly ignorant and stupid people but this guy has got religion and Elenin. Do you realise how futile it is? Just create a list of all these Brown Dwarf believers and in September/October create a thread naming and exposing them for the ignorant fools they are. I plan to and I'm keeping track.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
After the radio4 article I lsitened to this morning this thread had me in hysterics. The article inverviewed a man who has written a book about conspiracy theory believers. He spent two years interviewing people and concentrated mainly on the 911 conspiracy. What he had to say and his conclusion sounded more like a description of a day in the life of ATS !!! Basically a conspiracy theorist believes in "x" and when presented with evidence that contradicts the belief cognitive dissonance sets in and rather than take a step back and say "ok I'm wrong the conspiracy is pants" they rework the conspiracy to accommodate the new fact.

He was asked one last question, and this is where it gets very sad : "have you every won an argument ?". He replied, not one for the simple fact that every fact presented that contradicted the theory resulted in the theory being modified to accommodate the fact! ring any bells here on ATS. He finally stated that once somebody goes down the path of a conspiracy they are lost forever and the only way of stopping people becoming brainwashed is to persude them from believing in the first place.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
I saluteand applaud you for tryig to bring reason and logic to truly ignorant and stupid people but this guy has got religion and Elenin. Do you realise how futile it is? Just create a list of all these Brown Dwarf believers and in September/October create a thread naming and exposing them for the ignorant fools they are. I plan to and I'm keeping track.

I was thinking of doing that. But I'll let you. I'm going to continue collecting dates for the end of the world and the outcomes.

Maybe we should start a thread together, not to convert the converted (which is impossible according to the research) but to ensure new people who come here don't get drawn into the conspiracy brainwashing.

I would also take great pleasure in reading the explanations from the elenin conpiracists about why their theory is still valid after the comet has come and gone with a whimper. So we need a list

This is a good conspiracy to tackle since it has a clear end point.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by Hellhound604

Please,, Elenin IS not a Brown Dwarf.

That is exactly WHAT I am saying. If it WAS a brown dwarf, we WOULD have SEEN its effect more than 3 years ago.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Wow, I didn't mean for this thread into total confusion. Lets sum it up.

- Elenin is not a brown dwarf. It would have reflected light and being larger than Jupiter and just beyond Mars orbit, it would have been seen very bright in our sky and up close images containing surface details would have been posted by amateur astronomers worldwide.

- Elenin would have disrupted orbits of our planets many years ago if it was a brown dwarf. Brown Dwarfs are of of large Gas Planets like Jupiter, up to 80 times that the mass of Jupiter. If you randomly throw Jupiter out of it's orbit heading to the sun, the other planets aren't going to stay where they are.

- Comet Elenin is real, it's been observed and tracked by Harvard, JPL/Horizons/NASA and Amateur Astronomers posting on public astronomy forums such as iceinspace.com.au

- Supernova Remnant G1.9+0.3 is over 25,000 Light Years away from Earth near the galactic center of our galaxy. With current known technology, Humans couldn't even get close in a life time. Even if the Earth or the Supernova remnant were traveling at light speed, it would take 25,000 Years for them to get close to each other. Also keep in mind that G1.9+0.3 happened more than 25,000 Years ago. If it were to somehow get here, it would be most likely dissipated.

- Some people on conspiracy forums like to make science up about Elenin and provide no research or facts.

Sources:
apod.nasa.gov...
www.youtube.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
gustavomuler.fotografiaastronomica.com...
www.minorplanetcenter.org...
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov.../2010%20X1
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
After the radio4 article I lsitened to this morning this thread had me in hysterics. The article inverviewed a man who has written a book about conspiracy theory believers. He spent two years interviewing people and concentrated mainly on the 911 conspiracy. What he had to say and his conclusion sounded more like a description of a day in the life of ATS !!! Basically a conspiracy theorist believes in "x" and when presented with evidence that contradicts the belief cognitive dissonance sets in and rather than take a step back and say "ok I'm wrong the conspiracy is pants" they rework the conspiracy to accommodate the new fact.

He was asked one last question, and this is where it gets very sad : "have you every won an argument ?". He replied, not one for the simple fact that every fact presented that contradicted the theory resulted in the theory being modified to accommodate the fact! ring any bells here on ATS. He finally stated that once somebody goes down the path of a conspiracy they are lost forever and the only way of stopping people becoming brainwashed is to persude them from believing in the first place.

Lol 911 really is a conspiracy.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

- Elenin would have disrupted orbits of our planets many years ago if it was a brown dwarf. Brown Dwarfs are of of large Gas Planets like Jupiter, up to 80 times that the mass of Jupiter. If you randomly throw Jupiter out of it's orbit heading to the sun, the other planets aren't going to stay where they are.

Indeed, here's a visible demonstration that even a minimum mass brown dwarf approaching the inner solar system with an orbit like Elenin's would detectable perturb the position of planets like Saturn:
www.youtube.com...
According to this simulation, Saturn would be perturbed by such a brown dwarf by about 3.8 arcminutes over just the last few months alone, nevermind the years preceeding that. Its eccentricity would have also dropped by about 20% over the same time period.

Here's proof that Saturn has not been perturbed out of its orbit:
flickr.com...
Saturn's position from my location at the time this image was recorded should have been 12h 42m 29.63s, -01d 43' 23.1". According to the above astrometry, Saturn's detected position was 12h 42m 30s, -01d 43' 23", well within the 2.21 arcsecond per pixel resolution of the image. Saturn's right where it should be, therefore Elenin is not a brown dwarf (nor is it accompanied by one).

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr

This also describes perfectly all astronomers. When confronted with evidence that contradicts their "gravity rules" THEORY, as they are every time they point the Hubble telescope at anything, they rework the THEORY to accommodate the new fact. For example, dark matter, dark energy, etc. Magic fairy dust that has to be invoked to make the gravity rules theory work.

Astronomer 1: "According to our calculations, there is not enough mass in any galaxy to hold them together. They would all fly apart."

Astronomer 2: "Maybe our gravity theory needs to be reconsidered?"

Astronomer 1: "No way! Our theories are right! It's the observations that are wrong!"

Astronomer 2: "Dude, you sound like an idiot"

Astronomer 1: "I know, if 99 percent of everything in the universe was somehow INVISIBLE, then our theories still work out! Obviously, that is the truth! We are so smart!"

Astronomer 2: "You rule! I guess that's why you're the boss..."

See?

Even so, ELenin is NOT a freaking brown dwarf! It would be obvious if it was, and lighting up the night sky.

This does not mean it cannot cause earthquakes.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

A comet is a small chunk of left over material from the formation of a solar system. They are, in essence, a "dirty snowball." They have a small, compact central body called a "nucleus" composed of rock and ice a few kilometers across. The Sun's heat causes the frozen ice and gases to heat up and expand into a large cloud called the "coma," which can be tens or even hundreds of thousands of kilometers across. Although large, these comae are practically a perfect vacuum. The pressure of the solar wind and sunlight sweeps these gases away from the Sun, forming the comet's tail. The Earth has passed through these tails many times with no ill effect; the result is usually a meteor shower as the tiny particles of dust burn up in the Earth's atmosphere. Read more here.

Here is another good example. The Deep Impact comet probe destroyed this "dirty snowball" theory a thousand times over. A probe went TO the comet. They took pictures too. They found NO ICE, no form of water at all. They have pictures of jets shooting out of the comet, as in the tail. NO WATER INVOLVED. A comet is a rock, just like an asteroid.

The coma and the tail are two different things. The Earth has NEVER passed through a comet's tail. This time it will.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

This does not mean it cannot cause earthquakes.

There is no evidence that any celestial body outside of the moon affects Earthquakes. The Moon correlation is weak at best and is only connected to rare low intensity quakes.

Elenin, the Sun, Jupiter, Saturn, and everything else in the universe do not appear to be connected to strong quakes. The Moon is not connected to strong quakes.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join