It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Reversal, an increase in forest density worldwide, is under way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Source

Well, at least there's this.

If we continue to increase our forest density across the globe, our 'Carbon-footprint' will be somewhat reduced, no?

Interestingly, this news is 'real' news to me. I expected that an organization such as the Rockefeller Institute and it's several appendages would never be in the business of propagating anything that might lessen the strength of the argument for indirect carbon taxing.

Forests in many regions are becoming larger carbon sinks thanks to higher density, U.S. and European researchers say in a new report.

In Europe and North America, increased density significantly raised carbon storage despite little or no expansion of forest area, according to the study, conducted by Rockefeller University scientists with colleagues at Connecticut’s Agricultural Experiment Station and the University of Helsinki in Finland. The findings were published in the online, open-access journal PLoS One.

In fact, considering such areas as the rain-forests, and the taiga, if we can increase the density of growth, we can effectively mitigate a significant amount of free carbon in the environment. As to whether that might put an end to the fear... well that's another story.

The authors say most regions and almost all temperate nations have stopped losing forest and the study’s findings constitute a new signal of what co-author Jesse Ausubel of Rockefeller calls the Great Reversal under way in global forests after centuries of loss and decline. “Opportunities to absorb carbon and restore the world’s forests can come through increasing density or area or both.”

To examine how changing forest area and density affect timber volume and carbon, the study team first focused on the United States, where the U.S. Forest Service has conducted a continuing inventory of forest area, timberland area and growing stock since 1953.

They found that while U.S. timberland area grew only 1 percent between 1953 and 2007, the combined national volume of growing stock increased by an impressive 51 percent. National forest density increased substantially.

Let's all go out and plant a tree.

EDIT TO ADD: Trees seem to be rebounding A definite must read addition to the topic of discussion

edit on 7-6-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Its a spin/lie.

The truth is 4 foot wide trees used to span those forests. they were naturally spaced apart and allowed for the ecosystem to feed itself.

Now they are planting what is known as "condensed rainforest" with young trees so thick they choke the life of everything on the ground except them. They pick up as much as 5 times the nutrients as a natural forest and with no undergrowth they return little to the soil. Harvesting these 'toothpicks' as they call them, removes everything the soil has and then they replant condensed forest in the exact same spot.

Its not sustainable. In 300 yrs time the land where this was done will be destroyed and turn to desert. (or in the case of rainforest areas.....mud.)

S&F for bringing it up for examination.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Thanks for the information. I was leery about the Rockerfeller connection, since it seems like they are among the strongest supporters of the globalized taxing scheme brought to us via fear of carbon. I must review the material again to see how they may or may not have obfuscated the truth.....

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I remember reading a rather interesting article a while back [in the early 90s-?] about a University study that showed that the increase of greenhouse gasses [CO2] had a slightly beneficial affect on plant growth. The plants in the study grew quicker and larger. The downside is that they also became more susceptible to disease and some plants natural chemical defense against certain types of insects were weakened.

So this doesn't surprise me that the Forests are reacting the way they are. This isn't the study I was referring to but it does go into some details of the issue.

Climate myths: Higher CO2 levels will boost plant growth and food production

CO2 is the source of the carbon that plants turn into organic compounds, and it is well established that higher CO2 levels can have a fertilising effect on many plants, boosting growth by as much as a third.

However, some plants already have mechanisms for concentrating CO2 in their tissues, known as C4 photosynthesis, so higher CO2 will not boost the growth of C4 plants.

Where water is a limiting factor, all plants could benefit. Plants lose water through the pores in leaves that let CO2 enter. Higher CO2 levels mean they do not need to open these pores as much, reducing water loss.

I've always envisioned in my minds eye the following scenario in reference to agriculture.

That certain areas on Earth which are presently highly productive may slow down or stop being so while other areas productivity will possibly increase. The problem is that there is no real way of knowing which locations that are now productive may become more so and which locations might turn into new deserts etc. I've often imagined the forests/jungles increasing in size as the planet heats up which in turn will theoretically increase evaporation which would [in theory] increase storm activities and rainfall in presently dryer areas making them agriculturally more productive while conversely possibly creating problems in areas that presently receive a desirable amount of precipitation.

It's a big gamble and we just don't know how all of this will play out. Who knows, we may be seeing the beginnings of some sort of biblical prophecy come true. The wealthy countries may become agriculturally non productive while the poorer regions increase.

The meek shall inherit the Earth

Ok,

I just tossed that last bit in to stir the pot.

new topics

top topics

join