It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men Arrested for Paying with Penny´s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...-container

Penny offense: Man fined for paying fee in pennies
By Claudine Zap

No lucky pennies here: Police have charged Jason West, an aggrieved medical patient in Vernal, Utah, with disorderly conduct. His alleged crime? Attempting to pay a disputed medical bill of $25 entirely in pennies.
The story, reported in the Salt Lake City Deseret News, describes the "penny offense" this way: West, 38, did not believe he owed the medical clinic $25 but came in to pay the fee in person. He first asked the clinic staff if the facility accepted cash payments, and then dumped 2,500 pennies onto the counter and demanded that they be counted.
But West apparently hadn't counted on the clinic calling the police; the arresting officer contended that West's protest served "no legitimate purpose." The charge carries a fine that can go as high as $140--and there's no word as yet on what currency West will use to pay it.
West isn't alone in the ranks of penny protesters. A wise guy in Frederick, Maryland, showed up at the county clerk's office last summer with bags of cash to pay off his tax bill with $966.86 in change.
And a New Jersey school district a few years back punished 29 students who paid for their $2 school lunches in pennies--possibly as a prank--with two-day detentions. After parents protested, the students were pardoned. The school explained that the use of the small change slowed down the lunch line.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Should we abolish pennies then, as they clearly are not legel tender?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hello

there is a thread on this already

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is stupid! He paid and last I checked pennies were legal tender!

I paid my car payment in all ones one time and they tried to refuse it and told me to get 20's. I told them no I would not it was still money and valid tender. After that I paid my $250 car payment every month in ones
had they not complained the first time I wouldn't have but I did it to prove a point lol

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I dont know, the last time I checked, pennies are legal tender, are they not.

If pennies cannot be used then why are we still making them, after all, to make a penny it costs 6 cents.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am going to try this myself and see if I can get arrested also, I could have some fun with this.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

But seriously? who wants to count 2500 pennies out..

How many of YOU actually pay in pennies?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Please use the original thread to continue discussion.

Utah man cited for paying disputed bill with 2,500 pennies

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join