It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you gold, silver or bronze?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

LOL you intrigued me, what can I say? I had a moment, forgive me.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

see their gold-silver-bronze outline and cancel the post because I'm not going to compete.

Absolutely! My partner said exactly the same thing the minute we saw this stupid border. I hate it and would love to see it removed.

Like it says above my avatar, "Kontent not Karma, Wit not Wats"

This damn silly competitive thing is just ridiculous and so bad for morale everywhere. Like you said, it is actually stifling comment. I wish there was a way to remove the border. I would rather have the green friend thing back. At least that had some use.

At one point we managed to hide the points by setting a back ground that matched them. They soon put a stop to that! I believe that the ONLY thing of interest is the join date.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I cannot rate a persons post down, which I believe is needed. To have a visible sign of achievement based on flag/star count, then we should have the ability to level it out.

Agreed! I'd like to have that option but it will just get abused, but even the star system is abused people treat it like the "like" button FB...drives me nuts! Same with flags...so I see what you mean here. I star posts that contribute and I star every person that posts in a thread I make as a thank you for taking the time to reply

How many HAARP threads do we need that go on for 100 pages, and give the OP this 'achievement' when it's all that they do? You can only post in them to state your complete disgust at the fact yet another thread has 140 flags as the one last week from a different user, as opposed to the valid thread that got 1 flag and 3 stars that actually discussed viable things.

Agreed! I get tired of silly threads that have no real opening OP getting all kinds of attention. A link and a line and it gets flagged to death..WOW! Also proof should be banned from titles!!

Nah I never said ALL. There are a lot of people I see with it that I know deserve it, it's the blanket way it's handed out and the fact it's stated in every post.

I also agree there, there are some total attention seekers on here and post just about anything they can find and well I am not going to call anyone out but some are just ridiculous, but the majority are not like that. I ignore the serial fear mongerers.

It's nothing more - not on the posters behalf - than having a shiny star that teacher would give you at school.

Might be nice for insecure children, here? It boasts. And I disagree with it. Is ATS a competition?

It is like a shiny star and many here seem to need that attention! Personally it doesnt phase me either way, if one person reads my thread that is all I want. I would be fine with getting rid of flags and stars because if you read ATS a lot you can see the ones that are constantly fishing for them. I mean you can't buy anything with them lol

Why don't you contribute more then instead of put down those who do.

Because, ahh maybe like I said, I don't care about the status?

I don't care about the status either I just like to post on here. This is the only forum I am actively on. I found ATS looking at topics I enjoy via google and it always brought me here and I joined and well haven't left lol The other sites I was on weren't really active and people just bickered back and forth.

So it's a competition to you eh?

A thing to be won? "Why don't you contribute more then!!" - why is my membership any less if I don't? Is my contribution to an existing thread somehow less than being first in getting that tsunami/hurricane/comet/earthquake video out there on first page?

No it's not...I like to post here and I don't see it as a competition at all although I know some do. Well you seemed a little pissy but if you don't contribute that is your choice nobody said you had to but those that do why is it wrong to thank them with something so small? It doesn't make your membership any less, I never said that. Your contribution no matter what it is is always welcomed and appreciated

The gold members get a kazillions views because they post good threads! Have you even read any of the top 50 members threads? Ever read Slayer's? He has amazing threads, as does Skyfloating, SKL...the list goes on.

It's nice to see you didn't bother to take on board the sentiment of my post.
It's those who post ridiculous threads, who get continual recognition for doing so, and who get this status, than I am skewed about.

Yes I know about ridiculous threads believe me and those members annoy the hell out of me but what is ridiculous to one may not be to another. It's a matter of personal choice in what you like to read or contribute. I just ignore those members and those threads. It doesn't phase me...it doesn't affect me.

I never mentioned any users and I wont, unlike you in your fervor to praise people against a supposed attack you've perceived.

I named good thread contributors and members whose threads I enjoy...I didn't call out the ones who bother me

Whatever, it's wanky and if your ego needs it. good for you. And your chums.

I hated the system back when it was around before, then it was gone. Nice.. Now it's back worse than ever.

Wow the second time in two days Ive been told I have an ego lol Far from it...If I had an ego I'd be boasting all the time about my flags and stars and so on but I don't. I care more about the contribution from members in my threads, that is why I post...its not for flags and stars.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Who CARES about what color a post's border is? A post is either interesting and informative or it is not. There are a lot of contributers on ATS that really stay up on current events and such from around the world and I personally appreciate their efforts. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't, but I don't HATE on people just because they are being recognized for doing what a lot of us don't have the time to do ourselves. When I find a breaking story that I would like to post on by the time I get to ATS it is usually already here thanks to the Gold, Silver and Bronze contributors in many cases. More power to them!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Lol I just cannot counter any of your post.

STOP BEING SO NICE!!!

oh whod rant when people are just nice.. its so UNFAIR...

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I cannot rate a persons post down, which I believe is needed. To have a visible sign of achievement based on flag/star count, then we should have the ability to level it out.

Agreed! I'd like to have that option but it will just get abused, but even the star system is abused people treat it like the "like" button FB...drives me nuts! Same with flags...so I see what you mean here. I star posts that contribute and I star every person that posts in a thread I make as a thank you for taking the time to reply

How many HAARP threads do we need that go on for 100 pages, and give the OP this 'achievement' when it's all that they do? You can only post in them to state your complete disgust at the fact yet another thread has 140 flags as the one last week from a different user, as opposed to the valid thread that got 1 flag and 3 stars that actually discussed viable things.

Agreed! I get tired of silly threads that have no real opening OP getting all kinds of attention. A link and a line and it gets flagged to death..WOW! Also proof should be banned from titles!!

Nah I never said ALL. There are a lot of people I see with it that I know deserve it, it's the blanket way it's handed out and the fact it's stated in every post.

I also agree there, there are some total attention seekers on here and post just about anything they can find and well I am not going to call anyone out but some are just ridiculous, but the majority are not like that. I ignore the serial fear mongerers.

It's nothing more - not on the posters behalf - than having a shiny star that teacher would give you at school.

Might be nice for insecure children, here? It boasts. And I disagree with it. Is ATS a competition?

It is like a shiny star and many here seem to need that attention! Personally it doesnt phase me either way, if one person reads my thread that is all I want. I would be fine with getting rid of flags and stars because if you read ATS a lot you can see the ones that are constantly fishing for them. I mean you can't buy anything with them lol

Why don't you contribute more then instead of put down those who do.

Because, ahh maybe like I said, I don't care about the status?

I don't care about the status either I just like to post on here. This is the only forum I am actively on. I found ATS looking at topics I enjoy via google and it always brought me here and I joined and well haven't left lol The other sites I was on weren't really active and people just bickered back and forth.

So it's a competition to you eh?

A thing to be won? "Why don't you contribute more then!!" - why is my membership any less if I don't? Is my contribution to an existing thread somehow less than being first in getting that tsunami/hurricane/comet/earthquake video out there on first page?

No it's not...I like to post here and I don't see it as a competition at all although I know some do. Well you seemed a little pissy but if you don't contribute that is your choice nobody said you had to but those that do why is it wrong to thank them with something so small? It doesn't make your membership any less, I never said that. Your contribution no matter what it is is always welcomed and appreciated

The gold members get a kazillions views because they post good threads! Have you even read any of the top 50 members threads? Ever read Slayer's? He has amazing threads, as does Skyfloating, SKL...the list goes on.

It's nice to see you didn't bother to take on board the sentiment of my post.
It's those who post ridiculous threads, who get continual recognition for doing so, and who get this status, than I am skewed about.

Yes I know about ridiculous threads believe me and those members annoy the hell out of me but what is ridiculous to one may not be to another. It's a matter of personal choice in what you like to read or contribute. I just ignore those members and those threads. It doesn't phase me...it doesn't affect me.

I never mentioned any users and I wont, unlike you in your fervor to praise people against a supposed attack you've perceived.

I named good thread contributors and members whose threads I enjoy...I didn't call out the ones who bother me

Whatever, it's wanky and if your ego needs it. good for you. And your chums.

I hated the system back when it was around before, then it was gone. Nice.. Now it's back worse than ever.

Wow the second time in two days Ive been told I have an ego lol Far from it...If I had an ego I'd be boasting all the time about my flags and stars and so on but I don't. I care more about the contribution from members in my threads, that is why I post...its not for flags and stars.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScepticDebunker
I dont mind about the colour of someones post.

It does amaze me how many posts some people have in such a short time.

i just saw a member who joined in december 2010 with a gold level contributor banner, 9000 posts, 15000 flags.....HOW??? Do some people never leave this site and just write threads and posts 24/7???

Seriously.....some of you people need to get out more

Sorry I missed this - was on alert! OO both eyes you see.. Oo

But YES.

you see the deal. theres a fundamental problem somewhere...

Im with you.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

You always make me laugh in posts and you are entitled to rant.

This forum lets me get out my frustrations

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Oh please, can I use your thread for a similar rant?

Well, I actually hate these new borders, aesthetically!

I've been visiting this site for some years now and almost every change has been aesthetically pleasing with beautiful design and layout.

These new borders on the other hand - are NOT aesthetically pleasing from any design point of view!

Honestly, it makes the rest of the clean beautiful design of this site, messy - it's beginning to look so damn cluttered!

In my opinion - I loved the old Bronze, Silver, Gold text system under the avatars - those were classy and beautifully designed with the rest of the beautiful design and colours of this site - and the most important thing, they didn't interfere with the space where the important text is written by our members - where we read from.

I hope that I am not hurting SO's feelings too much by saying this but, IMO everything you have done to this site has really been beautifully designed with a lot of love and hard work behind the effort of making this site better both by function and design. And I know it's a work in progress and I love most of your work so far!

But I'm Sorry boss! I really don't like the look of these new borders!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The colour indications honestly never bothered me but I see your point because I too have felt that pain. Not on ATS but I have experienced intelligent and thought out posts of my own and others ignored for the generic and juvenile insults which inevitably got the people who posted like that much kudos and legendary status amongst the forum without ever really putting in much effort as far as contributions.

Unless of course you end up being the first to ascend above gold and directly into platinum or diamond or whatever would be above even those.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

geee buddy, hate to be the bearer of bad tidings:

but there is already a prior thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

7hrs prior

just kidding

i find the borders jarring they should be on the members avatar IMO

S&F

you should post more by the bye

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If you want to ignore it, ignore it. If you want to enjoy it, enjoy it. For some it has meanings, for others not. So what?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Whatever, it's a pointless and wankery idea to me, how big is my e-peen?

I don't know how to answer that question... is it like a 1-10 answer?

edit on 7-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I personally think that I should be entitled to bestow a new honorific on members, Totally Way Above Topsecret, or TWATS for short!

Seriously, seems to me doesn't matter what SO et al do they receive criticism.

Personally I don't really care either way but I do know that some members put a lot of time and effort into their postings here on ATS and I don't see why there shouldn't be a bit of light hearted recognition.

Cliques, groupings etc develop wherever there is any social interaction, I don't know why anyone would expect a site like ATS to be any different.
But this 'recognition' doesn't mean that those members are treat any different; I have seen many ATS 'heavyweights' receive the 'ban hammer'.

Those members who are 'Gold', 'Silver' or whatever probably deserve it.
Me, I don't really start threads and as such will most probably never achieve such greatness.

To be honest I accept that and am not really bothered either way, it doesn'y lessen the ATS experience for me in any way.
I respect those 'honored' members; but it by no way means that they are any better, or worse, than me or any other member here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by badw0lf

geee buddy, hate to be the bearer of bad tidings:

but there is already a prior thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

7hrs prior

just kidding

i find the borders jarring they should be on the members avatar IMO

S&F

you should post more by the bye

Nah If I post more I get more warnings and stuff, I've been posting less to make what I do post matter more.

A little of wheat in all of my chaff. And I have more chaff than wheat. I try however. despite what it appears.

Still doesnt change the fact, I wouldn't want a shiny border for my posts. I'd insist it removed.

Then again, when all is said and done - if those who need the pat on the back get it, so be it.

We understand

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by badw0lf

Whatever, it's a pointless and wankery idea to me, how big is my e-peen?

I don't know how to answer that question... is it like a 1-10 answer?

edit on 7-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

pixels??

Oo

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I personally think that I should be entitled to bestow a new honorific on members, Totally Way Above Topsecret, or TWATS for short!

THAT IS CLASSIC.
I wont use it, some people I know have funky borders and these accolades!! Safety.

Seriously, seems to me doesn't matter what SO et al do they receive criticism.

Oh not from me, check my .. not sure you can, it's been so long, I know they only keep what 100 posts or so?

But I've been very vocal in the past about changes to the site. And mostly positive - apart from the insane popups that occured for a while.

Nah, Always had a thing about the status bits. They're ego based. Not contribution based. At least in my opinion.

Joe bloggs makes a brilliant thread about a common conspiracy, proving it's mundane, it's ignored, its about real things.

Sancho Footstep Foghorn Beecherman makes a thread and it's about a football bouncing off an invisible sky... 200 flags, 900 stars 3000000 pages.

This adds to the latter.

The ratio of people who are smart to people who are stupid is not equal. So having a system based on how good an idea is presented is ALWAYS going to be skewed.

Personally I don't really care either way but I do know that some members put a lot of time and effort into their postings here on ATS and I don't see why there shouldn't be a bit of light hearted recognition.

Cliques, groupings etc develop wherever there is any social interaction, I don't know why anyone would expect a site like ATS to be any different.
But this 'recognition' doesn't mean that those members are treat any different; I have seen many ATS 'heavyweights' receive the 'ban hammer'.

Those members who are 'Gold', 'Silver' or whatever probably deserve it.
Me, I don't really start threads and as such will most probably never achieve such greatness.

To be honest I accept that and am not really bothered either way, it doesn'y lessen the ATS experience for me in any way.
I respect those 'honored' members; but it by no way means that they are any better, or worse, than me or any other member here on ATS.

I respected the ATS members I had seen long before I realised they had gold status. I don't need to be co-erced to follow certain people, when at the exact same time, I see members with gold status who are nothing byut fear mongers.

It's just unequal. and confusing to new members.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

I respected the ATS members I had seen long before I realised they had gold status. I don't need to be co-erced to follow certain people, when at the exact same time, I see members with gold status who are nothing byut fear mongers.

It's just unequal. and confusing to new members.

The solution is simple: Never trust a gold-status poster. It's the only way to be sure.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Using their Avatars and their posting stats and history etc we could make a pack of cards each for Gold Members and play a game similair to Top Trumps called Top TWATS.

To be fair I have an enormous amount of respect for some Gold and Silver members and genuinely feel some of them do deserve some sort of recognition and it is equally erronous to be dismissive of and belittling towards them as it is to fawn all over them and blindly accept what they have to say.

We've been around long enough to know that no matter what they are only members the same as me and you, no better - no worse, and we are all just as good or bad as out last post.

And yes, I guess it could be confusing and misleading to new members.

To be honest, it's all completely irrelevant and I couldn't really give a toss if the truth's to be told!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

a bit worn out from jousting 'gainst the bigots and pointing out the contradictions in that stupid arizona wins immigration thread

so i came over to lol at the new avatar definitely a keeper

so you're going for quality over quantity then? bravo

though what i meant was threads

i'll just read this to the end before calling it a night

so i guess you'll hold fast even if the 3 amigos offer you a
Platinum Wreath declaring you to be:

The Sacred Clown of ATS.
with Absolute License®!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Been around so long, through all of the merit systems...whether points, stars and flags, member votes, etc....that I simply tend to confuse them all anyhow..

I'm just happy if a few people read and like some posts....and/or find them informative (at least my research posts). Unfortunately for me, a lot of these were prior to these different merit systems, so they aren't counted anyhow...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join