It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northeren Hurricane Watch 2011

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by crappiekat
reply to post by karen61057

Hi Karen61057,

Are you planning on staying and riding out this storm? Wow if you are, please be safe. I hope for you only the best. The way they are talking about the storm surge. This is going to be very dangerous. I know you have heard that from other members here. But I guess someone like me who has never been in such a situation, it sounds very scary and very dangerous. I guess you know better since your rite their in the path of this monster.

Hi, Thanks for your kind words. Yes, we are staying. Every report shows the storm to be weakening. Our city has only issued evacs for low lying areas. True fact, my property is the highest point in the city. Just a street away from me the flood plain is cat 1 or cat 2, my property is cat 3. I have ice, I have lanterns, I have a propane grill, I have a fully charged lap top. Even a little battery operated DVD player so we can watch movies. We have food frozen for the immediate future and canned food for if we are without power for any length of time. I live on a major road with traffic lights so they usually bring me up pretty quickly after a storm.

Good thing you will be ok.
What saved me with power were I live at now was I lived close to a hospital,and they have priority as far as downed power lines.I was up in 1 day when everyone else was without for weeks.
Just think of it as a little camping trip in your house!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Latest.

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...32.1N 77.2W
ABOUT 180 MI...290 KM SSW OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 235 MI...380 KM SSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...160 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

A little stronger than before... but no biggie...

The good news : it's turning east!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...32.6N 76.9W
ABOUT 140 MI...225 KM S OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 195 MI...315 KM SSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...951 MB...28.08 INCHES

Going even more east!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

sorry about the previous image,don't know how that happened.
edit on 26-8-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
There is this nagging feeling that I have regarding all the (possible premature) evacuations.IF this storm turns out to be much less than they had originally predicted, what will happen with the next one they say is going to be bad? All those who left their homes, and maybe put some in financial hardship doing so, will next time ignore the warnings.

Again, I am in no way downplaying this. But if it turns out to be a major soaker only, well....future warnings may not be heeded.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by summer5
There is this nagging feeling that I have regarding all the (possible premature) evacuations.IF this storm turns out to be much less than they had originally predicted, what will happen with the next one they say is going to be bad? All those who left their homes, and maybe put some in financial hardship doing so, will next time ignore the warnings.

Again, I am in no way downplaying this. But if it turns out to be a major soaker only, well....future warnings may not be heeded.

I totally agree with your belief that IF this turns out to be no big deal, then folks will ignore future warnings. However, I must say that there is no such thing as a premature evacuation...if they waited until disaster was imminent, then evacuation would no longer be an option (look no further back in history than Hurricane Katrina).

The sad part is that many people will look back at these so called "false alarms" and ignore future warnings, which could lead to their own demise.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Right after Katrina, Rita came barreling through and turned Houston into the world's largest parking lot (TM) for hours upon hours.

My family luckily left before it got too bad traffic-wise and stayed away from the Interstates keeping to the Farm-to-Market roads in order to reach our destination. We got to the hotel which my dad had called ahead and found, paying for the rooms for a week ahead, in plenty of time to watch the cluster-fudge that eventuated.

The next big storm that came through (Ike) we ended up staying for (with my dad, whose house had gone through Alicia with minimal damage) and hunkering down there. All worked out in that case too.

I have been fortunate in my experiences with hurricanes, but I have learned to deeply respect them and would advise everyone to do the same.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Latest.

SUMMARY OF 100 AM EDT...0500 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...33.1N 76.5W
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM S OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 155 MI...250 KM SSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...952 MB...28.11 INCHES

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I forgot I had this link to BearPaws Weather page

Everything you want to know is here

www.bearpawsweather.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
To all you people asking why this storm is getting so much hype, its because it might hit nyc as a cat 1 or 2, yes this might not seem like much in the south but here there have skyscrapers whos windows arent made to withstand hurricane force winds, not to mention that all the buildings are just gonna funnel the winds through the streets even faster, there will also be power outages which means the pumps running 24/7 to keep the subways from flooding will be off to avoid damaging them

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Hampton Va. here. 6:30 AM
That is at 36.06N 76.32W
On the map shown on TV I am located across the water from Norfolk so their conditions are mine.
Right now as the sky begins to lighten a little we have had a few spits of heavy rain and a few gusty winds.
I would estimate the sustained windspeed in my yard at about 10-12 mph with gusts around 15-20 Occasionally the tree tops shake but so far nothing real bad. The rain is spotty and not as bad as I expected. The whole western side of the storm is falling apart. Much drier air has been pulling in from the south where feeder bands should be. There is much less outflow from the storms outer bands. The cloud cover over the eastern seaboard is mostly just clouds right now. The rain seems to be just at the most center parts of the storm. The center is located near 33.7N 76.5W
I am at 36.06N 76.32W in line for the center to pass maybe east of me, maybe just over western eyewall. If it maintains its current strength I should see the worst of this late this morning or early this afternoon. My wind chimes are quiet right now. Just a dreary Saturday morning for the time being.
edit on 27-8-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)[/editby
edit on 27-8-2011 by karen61057 because: I'd like to see how well you type at 6:30 in the morning. lol
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShake
To all you people asking why this storm is getting so much hype, its because it might hit nyc as a cat 1 or 2, yes this might not seem like much in the south but here there have skyscrapers whos windows arent made to withstand hurricane force winds, not to mention that all the buildings are just gonna funnel the winds through the streets even faster, there will also be power outages which means the pumps running 24/7 to keep the subways from flooding will be off to avoid damaging them

Down graded to cat one still off the coast of NC. Conditions here are not bad at all right now. See above. I should be in the thick of things already but the rain and wind are spotty and brief.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Hampton Va
7:35 AM
The rain is picking up a bit. Now steady but not very heavy. The wind speed is now about 12-15 mph at ground level in my yard. The wind gusts are about 20-25 though the TV is saying 30-35 I am not seeing that here yet. I heard a crack out back. This is a very old neighborhood with a lot of the houses built in the late 1800 and early 1900, mine included. There are a lot of big old trees here too though we lost a few in Isabel in 03. I had earlier said 06 for Isabel. It does not seem that long ago and here it is still a topic of conversation from time to time.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Hampton Va
8:43 Am
There is little to no rain at this time. The winds have picked up again. Steady winds at ground level of about 15 mph. The gusts are around 25-30 and come about every 7 -10 seconds with a lull in between. The tree tops are moving around so there is more wind up above. Not shaking violently yet, just dancing around. I don't think we will even loose power with this storm.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Hampton Va.
Winds are definitely increasing. Spitty rain. The local radar shows mostly dark green and med green with a few yellows but they are sparse. Gusts now up to about 40. It's looking a bit more tropical now.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
So far looks like no one is reading my posts but I will continue to up date anyway. It will be my own private storm diary.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

I am reading your posts, there is nothing better than a true eye report.
I am tent camping and have been for three and a half months and 10,000 miles. Will be heading to the east coast shortly, so it is nice to get reports from there.

Stay safe and keep up with your reports, there are plenty of lurking eyes, even if no replies.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hi,
Conditions are taking a turn for the worse. The wind is constant at about 25-30 with gusts in the 45-50 mph.
Rain is steady and starting to look tropical.
I hear cracks outside.
Trees trees and more trees. I have never lost one to a hurricane yet. These are 50 year old pines that sway and bend. This morning I said they were dancing. Now they are in some kind of frenzy. Sudden calm moments are followed by intense wind. A bit scary. Power is out in some parts of town. I will post as long as I can. I have a 15 year old who needs his daily fix of social networking. (who has 253 friends really????) Thats like his whole school.
Be back in an hour if I still can.
Love and Peace

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Latest.

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...35.2N 76.4W
ABOUT 50 MI...80 KM W OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 120 MI...190 KM S OF NORFOLK VIRGINIA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H