It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northeren Hurricane Watch 2011

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Hurricane Irene has become something else;

It's not every day you see a hurricane forecast cone pointed into the Northeast. In fact, the concern among meteorologists is high. National Hurricane Center Director Bill Read: "We are very concerned with what's going to happen in New England. The benchmark is the 1938 hurricane. I am very concerned with what will happen there." The potential is real for the strongest hurricane hit on the Northeast in at least a couple decades this weekend!

www.weather.com...

Regards, Skellon.
edit on 24-8-2011 by Skellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Irene is gonna be a monster!

But as in chess, I am always thinking ahead

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Latest advisory...

SUMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...23.8N 75.4W
ABOUT 790 MI...1270 KM S OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 150 MI...245 KM ESE OF NASSAU
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 315 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...952 MB...28.11 INCHES

Threat of Irene exposes New York's vulnerability

"If Irene hits Long Island or southeast Massachusetts, the storm has the potential to be a $10 billion disaster," Weather Underground's Jeff Masters said in a blog post Wednesday.

$100 BILLION DISASTER

In fact, ask any scientist who models catastrophes for a living what it would take to create a $100 billion natural disaster, and their list will almost always include a major hurricane (Category 3 or higher) hitting New York City.

This is very bullish... it will destroy stuff, so you can create new jobs to rebuild it... This is very good for the economy... (just ask Krugman)
edit on 24-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
New tropical depression forms in the far eastern atlantic

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Been watching Irene's path but also found this earlier regarding a possible Cyclone off the West Coast of Ireland..

www.youtube.com...

I'm no weather expert but that thing looks like it could gain some momentum in the coming days...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Hurricane watch issued for North Carolina's Outer Banks as Hurricane Irene churns toward US East Coast - AP

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Latest advisory...

SUMMARY OF 500 AM EDT...0900 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...24.6N 76.2W
ABOUT 80 MI...130 KM ESE OF NASSAU
ABOUT 735 MI...1180 KM S OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 315 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

Seems to me the pressure is still going down but the speed of winds is going down too... hopefully it weakens... but this is not what people are predicting... at 950MB, it's only 6 MB away from Category 4 territory...

And more fun :
Hurricane Irene gusting to 150 mph — Forecast shows eye coming ashore at Connecticut nuke plant by Sunday evening
Yay?

edit on 25-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So now they are thinking about EVACUATING NEW YORK... yep that's right...

Hurricane Irene May Require NYC Evacuations, Bloomberg Says

New York officials preparing for Hurricane Irene will decide tomorrow whether to call for the evacuation of low-lying areas in downtown Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The decision would be based on the strength, path and speed of the storm, Bloomberg told reporters today at a news conference in a flood-prone section of Queens. The city would offer “an enormous shelter system” for those without a place to stay on higher ground, he said.

“We don’t have enough information yet to make that call,”

Latest advisory :

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.9N 76.8W
ABOUT 75 MI...115 KM NNE OF NASSAU
ABOUT 645 MI...1040 KM S OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...951 MB...28.08 INCHES

NJ officially under state of emergency.

First, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed a state of emergency order and urged people at the Jersey Shore to leave voluntarily by mid-day tomorrow as Hurricane Irene approaches the Northeast.

KD :

During Ivan it sounded like our house was being shelled for about two hours - on my bedroom wall!

It wasn't until after the storm that I figured out what it was - it was pinecones being driven at 120+ mph.

Pine cones.

Yeah.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here is what is possible for New York City if Irene hits them.

www.cbsnews.com...

Doesn't look good.

Only On The Web: Dr. Nicholas K. Coch explains to Michelle Miller what could happen if a hurricane hit New York City, and according to the professor, history says that it's definitely possible. Read more: www.cbsnews.com...

edit on 25-8-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Now that's karma!

Irene Is Now Expected To Pass Right Over Wall Street With 74-95 mph Winds

Gods we can believe in!

Come on God, SMITE THESE SCUMBAGS WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'm in the NYC potential evac zone and I don't know what scares me more -- the chaos of the storm or the chaos of an evacuation.

Think I'll just zip up my life vest.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Hi everyone,
I am in Hampton VA at 37.06N 76.32W.
I am at the boarder between VA and NC. Norfolk is 4 miles from my house just to the south. Just to give you an idea of where I will be during this storm. Hatteras is just to the south but as you can see from the coastal maps they keep showing, it juts out about 60 miles from the coast, making it about an hours drive from where I live.
The projected path puts me just within the "extreme effects" area shown on The Weather Channel, on its western edge so I expect to experience only cat 1 conditions. We can do that, we've done it before. Its not fun, at least after three days anyway, to live without electricity, coffee made from water boiled on an outdoor grill does not taste very good. I will miss my Kurig and I will miss my blow dryer but I will be ok. I will post conditions from here for as long as I can on Saturday. Seems the worst will be in the overnight hours. I hate nighttime hurricanes. You can't see whats going on outside you can only listen.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Now that's karma!

Irene Is Now Expected To Pass Right Over Wall Street With 74-95 mph Winds

Gods we can believe in!

Come on God, SMITE THESE SCUMBAGS WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT!

Hey man, there is are a few little neighborhoods that survive in the shadows of those giants. SoHo, Little Italy, China Town. Families, with children and pets. See the forest for the trees .

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

I think you may be right.
Also another big band of thunderstorms over Africa that will bear watching.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'm in the NYC potential evac zone and I don't know what scares me more -- the chaos of the storm or the chaos of an evacuation.

Think I'll just zip up my life vest.

Stay safe! I suggest you move west and go to a motel/hotel/camping... if you don't have the money... sleep in your car westward?

Anyway good luck!

Hey man, there is are a few little neighborhoods that survive in the shadows of those giants. SoHo, Little Italy, China Town. Families, with children and pets. See the forest for the trees .

NYers can take it, they are a strong people.

Everyone in NY should watch this...
CBS report

Basically saying that NYers don't listen... and that they ``take their chances``... and it will end up costing more injuries and death that it should...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Latest..

SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
LOCATION...26.5N 77.2W
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM N OF NASSAU
ABOUT 610 MI...980 KM S OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...951 MB...28.08 INCHES

Not much change.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This handy little tool from the weather channel,the hurricane tracker is pretty cool.

www.weather.com...

And the latest on her

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

So it should hit NYC dead on with winds of about 80 mph? Not a big deal then... Hopefully. But of course, those winds will be accompanied by water surge... and this could cause some damage...

Still anyone in NYC, be safe, be prepared.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

So it should hit NYC dead on with winds of about 80 mph? Not a big deal then... Hopefully. But of course, those winds will be accompanied by water surge... and this could cause some damage...

Still anyone in NYC, be safe, be prepared.

Here is what the are saying about it.But there will be an update at 5pm est.

Heed the Warnings, Irene a Rare but Dangerous Hurricane

- Irene is a hurricane that poses an extraordinary threat and is one that no one has yet experienced in North Carolina to the mid-Atlantic to the Northeast and New England. - We can now narrow the projected path corridor. Confidence is growing that locations from eastern North Carolina and the eastern Mid-Atlantic states to Long Island to southern New England are all in the potential path of Hurricane Irene. - It is becoming clear that Irene's future track will NOT be a Hurricane Earl (2010) scenario where a hurricane barely brushes the Outer Banks of North Carolina then stays well offshore. - History tells us that no category 4 hurricane has made landfall north of the South Carolina/North Carolina border. That said, some computer guidance indicates a category 4 landfall over eastern North Carolina and this solution can NOT be ruled out. - There is historical precedence for a hurricane impacting the major metropolitan areas of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast but these hurricanes are rare. - However, with a population explosion along coastal areas of the Northeast during the past several decades, there is little to no precedence for a hurricane of this potential magnitude making landfall over highly populated metropolitan areas such as New York City. - Regardless of track and intensity, confidence is growing that Hurricane Irene will cause extensive tree and power line damage. Electricity infrastructure will be greatly compromised for millions if not tens of millions of Americans. - Recent heavy rains over parts of the Northeast, especially New Jersey, have made tree root systems highly vulnerable. Flooding rains combined with high winds will add to tree destruction. - Extent of water level rise (surge) for local bays, inlets and sounds is dependent on the local geography however suffice to say new high water marks could be set. - Severity of Irene's impacts are dependent on the final track. - Please begin to think about and act on your hurricane preparations. Now is the time.

www.weather.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The update :

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
LOCATION...27.0N 77.3W
ABOUT 575 MI...930 KM S OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 335 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...950 MB...28.05 INCHES

Basically still the same strength.

A category 4 hitting NYC would be very scary and would probably be devastating... people in NYC don't seem to prepare or but out at all.

Breaking : NY state under state of emergency.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join