It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I have learned today.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by brianmg5

I don't like Obama because I did not like Bush. Everything that Bush did that I don't like Obama has continued to do and in some cases added to. What bothers me the most is that people are so caught up in left-right that they refuse to acknowledge it at all, and that many are so conditioned to accept that they are different from one another when in reality most of the policies of substance are the same.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Punisher75

I agree. I don't like that Obama continued the Patriot Act, Guantanamo Bay, etc. But what do I know? I'm not on the inside. For all we know, the second we stop the Patriot Act, people are allowed to plot against the USA. And probably not without provocation. And don't forget, it takes an act of the house, the senate, and Obama to continue these polices. He's not alone.

But the fact that the guy sacrificed a lucrative career in order to become a community organizer, the fact that he's healed many foreign relationships, the fact that he's passed legislation to protect consumers from being ripped off by Credit Card companies, banks (school loans), insurance companies, etc (these are just the ones off the top of my head) leads me to the conclusion that he's trying to do what's right for the people.

But in all honesty, in the end, I really have no idea whether he is trustworthy or not. And neither do you. We just don't know.

So much inforamtion on this site used for and against Obama is a microscopic view of the whole story. It's out of context.

All we can do is speculate. Unless you want to find information which supports your beliefs, in that case, you can turn that speculation into facts and tout them as such. But that is truly ignorant.
edit on 7-6-2011 by brianmg5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
From what I see unless I am misreading it he was a community organizer before he went to Harvard then practiced law then became senator. So he did not give anything up from what I can tell. As far as the rest your right I cannot read his mind but I can see that his policies are the same as his predecessors.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Punisher75

I knew it was risky of me to site specific examples. I apologize for the error. The point that I was trying to make is that he was trying to help people before he became president. Which can be used as evidence that he is sincere in his efforts.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

For me it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Dumb folk?

Okay, whatever.

I should point out that I was a fervent backer for Obama's election to President. One does not need to be any expert per se on political matters to see that we are staying the course with the vast majority of policies from the Bush administration.

This is not what I heard in Obama's speeches. This is most certainly not what I voted for. I am certain this is not the path most of the people who voted for him expected.

Therefore, I can state with 100% honesty that I do not bash on Obama because he's Obama.

I bash on him because he ISN'T Obama. Not the one I was sold.

ETA - I was never a Bush supporter. By stating "you knew what you were getting" I refer to how we could expect things like tax cuts for the uber-wealthy, a free pass to the vast majority of corporations and finding ourselves at war. None of these things, plus others I could add, made me a Bush supporter.

edit on 8-6-2011 by Hessling because: ETA

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Dumb folk?

Yes dumb folk.

I should point out that I was a fervent backer for Obama's election to President.

And I should point out that's a dumb thing to do. Backing presidents with corporate agendas. That's why before you vote you look into his life and more importantly, who taught him in universities, etc. It would've become obvious to you, that Obama was not planning on keeping promises.

One does not need to be any expert per se on political matters to see that we are staying the course with the vast majority of policies from the Bush administration.

Well, you are talking about American politics. Do you understand that it's a charade? Bush ran on a platform of non-intervention, how did that work for you? Every politician runs on false platforms because all they need to do is lie to you people and say what you want to hear, to win elections. And you fall for it every time.

I bash on him because he ISN'T Obama. Not the one I was sold.

Hey hi, were you living in a fantasy world where politicians are the new messiahs or...?

edit on 9-6-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

I understand where you are coming from. And you make a good point.

In the case of Obama, I admit to being more than a little delusional. It was a case of eight years of Bush and having a 1% hope that Obama might be a JFK. An extreme longshot, but one has to have a little hope once in a while, even in politics.

When he voted for the FISA bill after claiming to being strongly opposed to it I knew I was kidding myself. I did it anyway just for that itty-bitty 1% chance.

As The Who sang...

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around me
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Kinda says it all for me.

Peace!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

In the case of Obama, I admit to being more than a little delusional. It was a case of eight years of Bush and having a 1% hope that Obama might be a JFK. An extreme longshot, but one has to have a little hope once in a while, even in politics.

Perfectly understandable. You want the sh#storm to end.

I think it's one of the more disgusting things politicians do, intentionally giving people false hope.

Because that 1% hope, albeit false, is enough to get millions to vote.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join