It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw Saturn for the first time tonight !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Tonight , I saw Saturn for the first time through a Telescope !
Not quite an Earth shattering moment for maned space exploration I know , but for me , my world was rocked

It was truly amazing to see Saturn , it's rings and some of its moons !

Now I find myself hoping for clear skies tomorrow night so I can get back out there

So , above top secret astronomers , do you remember your first " wow " moment with a telescope ? What was it that first caught your eye ?

edit on 7-6-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Seriously, stop looking in my windows!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Seriously, stop looking in my windows!!!

Funny Saturn but cool, I wish I had a telescope mostly when I look into the sky I don't have a clue to what i'm seeing or looking at. Post some pics, I'm interested
edit on 7-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

That is very exciting. My 4 year old is so fascinated with the stars and the moon and I am going to be purchasing a scope soon so we can cruise the cosmos. I can not wait to see her eyes light up when she see's stuff through the lens. If you dont mind me asking what kind of telescope are you using?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I've seen it a few times. The first time was as a child, I was probably 8 or 9 years old at the time and it was pretty amazing. I was surprised it wasn't as colorful as the photos I'd seen, it was then that I learned that pictures are often colored somewhat. I wasn't able to see the moons, however. Maybe the telescopes I've seen it with weren't powerful enough or maybe they were just not in a good position or phase to be seen well when I looked.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Funny, I saw Uranus through a telescope tonight as well!
All I can say is that it is a great night for viewing celestial bodies!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
My telescope...you can look right into craters in the moon...seriously brilliant scope I got

however, no machine or anything...so actually looking at something distant would be difficult at best considering its a bit old and rusty...overcorrects, and just seeing a split second of a star is a challenge. but ya, I do love the moon view I get.

The issue with stars and telescopes..well, unless you have the hubble, a star looks about the same through a telescope as it does with the naked eye...just a light in the sky. I sometimes wonder how the hell they initially concluded the points of lights were actually sun's.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
How funny, I was looking at it a few hours ago! It is one of my favorite things to find in the sky. It was the first thing I really wanted to see when I got my scope, but it wasnt out at the time. But the first time I saw it, I stayed out for an hour or two and just kept following it across the sky. I showed one of my friends and now when he comes over and im outside with my telescope he always asks me to see it.
Have fun my friend, and im curious, what kind of telescope do you use?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Ummm, Where's your proof? Without proof, it never happened.
Geesh, the nerve of some people.
Telephone monkey

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I vividly remember my impression the first time I saw the ringed planet through a telescope.
I thought it looked like a cheesy special effect. It was so beautiful it couldn't be real.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I'm jealous. When I was little my dad got me this really nice (for a kid) telescope for my birthday and I loved it! It unfortunately broke while we were moving a few years ago. I've been wanting to go down to the observatory that's about an hour away from here but I can't seem to find the time/transportation.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Definitely remember seeing Saturn and Jupiter for the first time. My telescope is a pretty weak crappy model so the image was fuzzy most of the time and still pretty distant looking, but amazing nonetheless. For Saturn, I couldn't see any moons but just to see the ring (I say ring because it looked like one giant ring, even though there are several) was awesome in itself. Jupiter is a tad closer, so I did see light reflecting off three of it's moons! And I could just barely make out the horizontal stripes on the planet, no superstorm though. I know what you mean though - it is really really an awe-inspiring moment to see it for yourself. I'm really happy for you.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
As for what telescope I was using last night , it was the Sky-Watcher Heritage with a 8mm lens and a x2 Barlow

Here is a video I found that shows the telescope
That I have

new topics

top topics

join