It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS members disclose our ages and professions

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia

However i have thought for sometime that publishing location would be a help.

Then why dont you post yours? There is a spot for it.

Originally posted by eletheia
.. ................................ ...UK says rubbish USA says trash etc.etc.

Im American but I say rubbish. America is a big country, and not even publishing location tells you that much. What does Tennessee, my actual location, tell you about me?

Nothing. You can make no assumptions about me whatsoever. Because it doesnt tell you I grew up in Hawaii, spent my 20s on Johnston Atoll, and my 30s in New Mexico, and have traveled to the UK before moving here.

If someone just sees "Tennessee" they might just slap the "southern" stereotype on me, (Not that I care, obviously, I do list it,) but for those who think location tells you anything about another person, (other than their location) how on Earth could it? It only tells you where they are now, not how long they have been there or where they lived before that.

Im also puzzled and a bit troubled that human beings seem to need so many "clues" to figure out other people. Age, location, profession, etc. (borders,flags, titles) is it really so hard to figure out if someone knows what they are talking about, or if their argument makes sense? You have the whole internet to search to see if they are correct about something, if what they are arguing is "ground breaking," you have logic with which to evaluate their posts.

It just seems to me that people are incredibly lazy about fact checking, and reasoning on their own, and they just want some excuse to mindlessly accept something someone says at face value.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My "title" under my nickname says it all.
Hail' to the king baby

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
That's a good question. . .I think just as anything else, it should completely optional. I do, however, believe that all members should submit DNA samples, along with a complete dossier with their day to day activities, such as locations and stores they frequent.

They should also allow their hard drives to be copies in their entirety by ATS.

Seriously, though, no.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
OP - IMO, on the internet, you are better off if you take on a completely false identity, and occasionally make up complete bull# background for yourself. Why?

1) DO NOT FEED THE MONSTER

2) Personal and family safety. The internet is a stalker's paradise.

3) DO NOT FEED THE MONSTER

4) Nobody really cares

5) DO NOT FEED THE MONSTER

Now go out and create a Facebook page with a completely false identity and have FUN! ALSO - create a different and unique username on EVERY FORUM YOU JOIN.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Alright I'll play, im 14, in highschool and live in ontario

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

And every pedo on the site just friended you.

Just kidding. Kind of.

Its another reason I think ages on the internet is a bad idea. If there are kids here, why put a bullseye on them?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

wow that was fast, usually takes at least 20 minutes

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nikkibee

Now go make another account and dont tell everyone how old you are and where you live.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

haha no way do you know how long it took me to get enough posts to use the chat

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I understand this is a serious topic and I am treating it the way that
many of us here treat a CSI episode... solemn and slow-nodding.

It is true that certain scoundrels may snatch your identity and make
your life a living-hell... I know of such a person it happened to.
So, I suppose I could give this person's details -as it probably won't
happen again.

Her name is Mildred Brid.... sorry, the Police are at the door.
Back soon.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Should ATS members disclose our ages and professions? Nope. But for fun, I may be an "unemployed, old fart". Does that satisfy your curiosity?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownPhilosopher

NEVER!
It would be equal to putting a black bag over your head while walking down the street wearing a placard listing all there is about you.

The world and the net are not fluffy and fuzzy and safe my friend.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by UnknownPhilosopher

I don't think that telling people in the chat room, what you do for a living is any difference then talking to the person sitting next to you at a bar. You will tell them all that information. I don't think the internet is worse then normal society, and I am not going to stop making conversations with strangers, online or not.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Damn near everyone on ATS knows my real name, what I look like, and what I do.

So it doesn't bother me. Would I disclose it to everyone on the internet? Most likely not.
edit on 13-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Damn near everyone on ATS knows my real name, what I look like, and what I do.

So it doesn't bother me. Would I disclose it to everyone on the internet? Most likely not.
edit on 13-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

Same here. I don't have any issue with saying my name, age or what i do for living in any place of the internet. If someone wants to know who you are in real life, and they have access to your IP adress, they can even know your underwear colour! I've done that before and located who was stalking me and it was a guy that lived in california, got his name, his address and phone number... and i'm just a civilian with some computer knowledge.

Anyway.... there's certain people who can have their reputations at risk by posting at this forum. So i respect that there's people who wants to keep their identities hidden, but since I'm nobody on this world, i can share everything if asked (my undies colour is not under this category
)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Caggy

There are ats members with reputations?

That is worth a thread in itself.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I don't think that revealing your information over the internet would be good, I mean people say identity theft but you actually could never know because this is a free website so anyone could come in visit it and do what they wanted with the information.

I also think that if people we're to gain access to age, name, profession and a picture then they probably would discredit you if they didn't think you yourself was a reliable source e.g They might have a huge ego and because they have a better job think they're better, anyone trying to disprove anything and they had personal information on you would take it into account just to make you look bad. (IMHO)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join