It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS members disclose our ages and professions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I considered at one point completely disclosing some of my information for all members that wished to see. My age, profession, background. I considered doing so in the effort to not be another faceless critic just floating in the ether of cyberspace.

So my question is to you all that visit this thread. Do you think we should all just bite the bullet and put a face to those words we so effortlessly cast upon the screen? Would it bring more decorum? More compassion?

Or....

Would it bring what I felt that it would? More condemnation, even more lack of respect, disregard for someones opinion even more now that their profession, age, gender, or race is known.

Does the anonimity the web brings a perfect system since it truly is a veil of ignorance?

I look forward to all your responses.
edit on 6-6-2011 by UnknownPhilosopher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Posting personal information is just begging someone to steal your identity. Posting an actual picture of yourself makes it easier to identify you when they suddenly decide that those who visit conspiracy sites are criminals. Posting your age makes it easier to discredit a comment because the fact the person speaking is "merely" a 12 year old child.

The anonymity of the internet helps greatly in allowing free thought. A good example of a 12 year old changing the world through the net is Orson Scott Card's Ender series.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownPhilosopher

I am here to learn.. not to play friend with total strangers.. I don't care what your name or profession is, I'm just here for the link.
edit on 6-6-2011 by aceto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think names are not a good idea.
But background,education and a vague suggestion of your profession,if applicable
is appropriate,at the users discretion.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
i'm an ugly loser so of coarse i'll say let your words do the talking.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Isn't it enough that our government watches everything we do already? Why do I want someone stalking me because they don't like something I said on a forum? There are already chances of that anyway if one wanted to be persistent enough. I'm not going to help them out. Especially since I have a family to think of, not just myself.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
While there is thread after thread on this site about government getting too involved with every aspect of our lives, spying on citizens, and having too much power, you think we should all post names, ages, professions, and a picture, on probably the most watched conspiracy forum in the states?

I'll obstain.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I could not give personal bio info out. But I would be more than willing to display pictures of myself in the crotch region covered by briefs.

That congressman, is that really all him, or a pair of socks stuffed in there?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Is the search function broken? This is brought up quite often.

And on topic- No.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Good. It got brought up again. If you dont like it leave.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
sorry peeps but one word CLASSIFIED i took an oath

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I look forward to all your responses.

You sure..?

You're either green as hell or have an agenda - regardless, weak sauce...giving out that kind of info is as bad as asking for it.

Would it bring what I felt that it would? More condemnation,

Why shouldn't it..? I, and others, are supposed to take someone serious that gives me enough information to affect their livelihood..?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Good question. I think the internet community is pretty civil as long as you type with near perfect grammar- otherwise people will automatically point to any grammatical error and shut out the content of everything you say. Its retarded but its seriously how it works, lol.

I think people are generally more respected when they hide behind an avatar that isn't of themselves. But I honestly don't care. I put a picture of myself up for the fun of it.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Okay, apparently I wasn't very clear. I understand the ramifications that could rear themselves if in the wrong hands.

I edited the post to capture more of the philosophical questions I was trying to present.

So, with that said, the post should be less threatening to everyone.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownPhilosopher
reply to post by MzMorbid

Good. It got brought up again. If you dont like it leave.

You could just as easily learn to use the search function like everyone else, or you yourself could leave. And no, it wasn't brought up again, you brought it up again. If everyone else understands they should use the search function before starting a thread, why is that policy having such a difficult time finding its way into your brain.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
Good question. I think the internet community is pretty civil as long as you type with near perfect grammar- otherwise people will automatically point to any grammatical error and shut out the content of everything you say. Its retarded but its seriously how it works, lol.

I think people are generally more respected when they hide behind an avatar that isn't of themselves. But I honestly don't care. I put a picture of myself up for the fun of it.

Okay. I'm glad someone captured the idea I had for this post. This is where I was wanting to go.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

If its bothering you so badly, why do you continue to post here?

Posting it again in efforts to bring it up to new members and gain their thoughts. I dont know if you have noticed but there are quite a bit of new members here. A fresh perspective never hurt.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I know a nudist who loves it in part because she says that without the clothes and jewelry, there is so much more equality among people. Personally, I look at the anonymity of the Internet the same way.

I've seen people too many times brushed off in real life because of their socioeconomic class, their gender, or their age. I think the mask is best; it helps sort out the diamonds from the dung without having the issue of where it's coming from getting in the way.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

edit on 6-6-2011 by UnknownPhilosopher because: double post

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownPhilosopher

Does the anonimity the web brings a perfect system since it truly is a veil of ignorance?

I'll answer with another quote:

“The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.”

~Eric Schmidt

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join