It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people want to have Sleep Paralysis?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I had the craziest dream the other night. I think I was having sleep paralysis. It started off with me trying to open my eyes, I was forcing myself to open my eyes but it wasn't coming as easy as usual. I finaly got them half way opened, it was dark but my tv was on so I could see and everything was fuzzy. I then tried to move but I couldn't it hurt to even try to move any part of my body. It felt like I was being held down but I couldn't feel anyone on me like I have read in other peoples experiance I was in pain but it felt like I was causing myslef this pain by trying to move. My back was hurting so much I kept telling my self I was asleep and if I am in pain when I wake up it was real. When I woke up I immediatly remembered having this dream and this experience. I have had this happen before but I have never felt pain associated with this. I usually see an evil face in front of me and I am trying to wake up this time I was asleep on my stomach. maybe thats why I was in pain. IDK I have since gotten drunk and cussed at whatever it is doing this to me this is the 3rd time this has happened to me in my present home. I read on a thread someone made that people want this to happen to them. My question is WHY???? I don't understand???

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I once got it while I was dozing off in class (not great because I spazzed out when I woke up, bit embarrassing) but I got a really extreme "high" for a few seconds. That could explain it.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

I hope I never have it again!!! Wow that is embarrassing!!! Could have been worse!! LOL

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
People want anything that they can use to convince themselves they are somehow special and different from other people.

Technically, everyone has "sleep paralysis" in the sense that the body is paralyzed for the most part to keep you from acting out your dreams in a way that is dangerous to you. What is less common, is waking up while still in that state, and experiencing the paralysis.

link   
I often wonder why people want it to happen too. I suffer from sleep paralysis but try my best for it not to happen. I don't like it. When it happens I know its happening and try to relax and tell myself I'm still asleep, but I still panic a little, not as much as I used to though.

I haven't had a spell for a while now and I'd be happy for it never to happen again but it will at some point I know. Probably tonight now that I've talked about it heh.

link   
I hate SP, i get it all the time. The weird part is if i forget to pray and ask for protection that night it will happen and i will be attacked by this dark figure. But when i pray it doesent happen.

So i pray alot now.

link   
I've had it many times before. I haven't spoken to anyone whom has ever experienced it to "enjoy" it. For me it was always terrifying. Sometimes I saw this gnome looking thing with red eyes and a hood staring at me. Completely dark face other than that.. decked out in some druid robe - or something akin to that if you can imagine.

I would not call that part of my life a sober one by any means. FWIW

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by scrtsxcgirl

It was a very awkward experience and if it ever happens again I really hope I'm alone and in my room

I actually wrote an article on my experience a bit back,. let me go find it for ya

Here ya go:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-6-2011 by Elsek because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Why do people feel the need to slowly kill themselves through a barrage of consuming toxins on a daily basis whilst telling themselves "I'll be okay, it won't happen to ME!"

Sleep paralysis is a strange one, I had it and also lucid dreaming, maybe I've been lucky but I thought it was great. I've created threads on it, someone there is a link on my profile.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I've never suffered pain with it though. I experience the loud buzzing and also the feeling if someone is rocking me back and forwards, and a couple of times felt like my head was at a funny angle or my hands were over my mouth and I was suffocating and I couldn't move them, that was pretty scary. When I woke up my hands were no where near my mouth.
edit on 6-6-2011 by Paulos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Simple.. Because you can use them to induce lucid dreams and you can also control them so they are no longer frightening experiences. Whatever you expect or believe/think in that state can affect what you will experience, so the trick is to realize that you can control it just using positive thinking.

If i have a SP i can nearly always easily induce a lucid dream within a minute or less.

There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of.. whatever you see, feal or hear is all a product of your own brain.

Edit: And for those who want to experience this for yourself, then i recommend the WILD technique for inducing lucid dreams.

edit on 6-6-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dance4Life
I've had it many times before. I haven't spoken to anyone whom has ever experienced it to "enjoy" it. For me it was always terrifying. Sometimes I saw this gnome looking thing with red eyes and a hood staring at me. Completely dark face other than that.. decked out in some druid robe - or something akin to that if you can imagine.

I would not call that part of my life a sober one by any means. FWIW

Im with you, i never enjoyed it nor have heard of anyone liking it. It would be nice to have a SP and have some hot chick walk in and start a strip tease but it doesent happen.

edit on 6-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulos

Sorry, I hope you don't have it

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Wow I never thought to use it for Lucid Dreaming. I have tried to have a lucid dream But I have never been successful. I have had dreams that felt so real like everyone else. I get very panic like when I have SP.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

Exactly my point, I just didn't try and force the LD, it just happened

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I had a couple episodes of it while I was in Iraq, waking up in a panic and not being able to move right away wasn't fun.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulos

Yeah thats freaky.... I know I have had them before but this time I had pain and it really freaked me out....

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Because most people who have SP also experience lucid dreams and OBE's or whatever people call all that stuff.

If you're able to do any of those you're more likely to do any of those, which is really cool if you don't freak out when this stuff happens!

That is why, it's one step closer to different experiences.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Sleep paralysis while dreaming is a defense mechanism. Have you ever had those dreams where you are being chased by some phantom, or scary thing and your legs in your dream are like lead and you find it difficult to move? This is because if your dream were to duplicate the actual speed of which you would run in reality, then your body would start running. It is called REM atonia. This is caused by the release of certain neurotransmitters and monomines completely shut down the during a dream state. Without this shutdown, you would be physically acting out your dream.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Dont worry sleep paralysis is perfectly natural, I also have had this from time to time. I feel like im being held down while seeing a dark figure beside me, I even feel like im spinning sometimes. The figure you see is not some kind of evil entity, it is a hallucinogenic hallucination. I remember the first time it happend I was so scared I done a lot of research on the subject before I found out what it was. It can be frightening however sleep paralysis can actually be useful, I regularly do meditation and you can self induce lucid dreams and out of body experiences from the sleep paralysis state. Anyway if you just want to be free take a breath then start to wiggle a finger, concentrate on that and slowly move up your arm. The focus on your body helps you to wake up aswell as stay calm.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join