It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banking Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If this is the wrong forum mods please move it to the correct one. My mother just received a settlement check. The problem is the check is made out to her and her father in law who is deceased. What method should she go about to deposit it because she doesn't want to get the estate involved, i don't even think there is one since there was no will, and she has his death certificate.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's been a while since I've worked in a bank, but 2 payee checks that have a deceased payee can get tricky... It may depend on the financial institution that you are using.

If it's a huge check, they may need the executor of the will of the deceased to prove that (s)he is the executor with documents, prove that the deceased is indeed deceased (death certificate).

If that is done to the bank's satisfaction, they may cash the check if both payees (in the case of the deceased, the deceased payee's will executor) are present. I don't think they will get involved in distributing the funds in a particular way, just issuing the whole sum and expecting both payees to figure it out.

You'll need to contact a manager at your bank or the bank from which the check was issued.

Hope this helps!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by voiceoreason

Yes thanks shes going to talk to the manager tomorrow

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by voiceoreason

Ah the thing is there is no executor cause there is no Will, so yea its becoming a sticky situation we will see what the manager says i guess.

top topics

join