It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Legal Killer Weed is OK by Govt. Standards.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I quit smoking but still use nicotine and I STILL get cravings for cigarette. It's been almost a year now and these cravings pop up daily but generally are mild and last for only a few seconds. There is so much crap in commercial tobacco and they not only add stuff to allow the nicotine to get to your brain faster, there are all kinds of other addictive things in them, which is what my body still sends craving signals for. I don't know what they are. There are also MAOIs in it, which are anti-depressant and makes it even harder to quit. The first few weeks for me were highly evident of this. I shudder at the fact that I allowed all that crap into my body for so long. It's amazing what addiction can do. Now that I'm only using nicotine, I can go quite a while without it and I don't get a headache if I don't get it. I do get the normal cravings for it but it's not nearly as bad as not getting a cigarette and I don't get mean and nasty to people.

My husband still smokes, so when I get a craving or something, I go sit next to him. LOL It sounds weird but I actually like the smell. I guess it's more like missing a loved one and if you take a whiff of something that reminds you of them, it brings back memories.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Good post.
Money makes the world go round.
and they need to thin the hurd.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Ive now got it in my mind to try and stop ,.
3 weeks the worst huh... damn we are going on vacation in 2 weeks,, my wife will hate me..
Ive stopped twice for several months.But have yet to quit !. they say the 3rd times the charm..
I have only had 1/2 a cig SO FAR today..
Lots of energy , office it clean.getting a head ache . what next the shakes ? LOL

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I personally believe quitting smoking isn't that hard at all. I did it myself after 20+years of about a pack a day. The first month sucks, but after that it's all downhill... it's wanting that smoke in your hand after meals and drinking..etc, but its not THAT hard. It's much harder to change your diet (healthy) or stick to an exercise regime..etc. I feel if you can't quit smoking, no matter how long you've smoked or how many you smoke a day, you'll probably never have the willpower to do anything that requires any real willpower.

My mother quit smoking after 30+ years of 2-3 packs a day chainsmoking nervous habit and that ole "noone-will-ever-take-my-cigarettes" attitude. Doctors scared her (she was filling up with emphysema) and she was going to have to go on oxygen. She quit cold turkey without even slowing down first (I slowed down to about 5 a day when I finally quit). She was a mess for awhile, but she stuck with it and stayed smoke free. Trust me when I say I am absolutely 100% sure if my mother could quit smoking, anyone could.

It's shocking that this poison is legal and that people pay so much money for it. I certainly spent a lot over the years.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hbarker
Ive now got it in my mind to try and stop ,.
3 weeks the worst huh... damn we are going on vacation in 2 weeks,, my wife will hate me..
Ive stopped twice for several months.But have yet to quit !. they say the 3rd times the charm..
I have only had 1/2 a cig SO FAR today..
Lots of energy , office it clean.getting a head ache . what next the shakes ? LOL

Please keep going and report back on your journey.

We all need to know how others are doing and learn from each other on how to kick this filthy, deadly and disgusting habit.

Good Luck!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm glad I stopped smoking.

I only use my E-Cigarette now. It's cheaper, tastes awesome, I don't stink like anything (except delicious candy) I can smoke inside, in bars, stores, there is no tar, no carbon monoxide, no cancer causing chemicals, no burning.

I would really urge anyone that currently smokes, and doesn't think they will be able to stop, to give E-Cigarettes a try. I never thought I'd be able to stop smoking, I just got one of these so I could smoke inside bars after the smoking ban went into effect here. Then I realized I liked vaping off my E-Cigarette more than smoking. I can breathe great now, actually taste food, and still satisfy my need for nicotine and something in my mouth.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I didnt start inhaling till I was 10 years old,, 35 years later ,, hmmm where that time go?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Man those adds are scary. I dont smoke but if i did i would stop after seeing that all day

no you wouldn't. those pictures don't even register, i know they've been on Canadian smokes for 11 years now. guess what? NOT A SINGLE PERSON i know has quit because of those pictures. not that i was actually surprised. i hardly even notice the pictures at all.

the best part of the whole thing was the fact they said it would keep kids from trying to buy smokes. NOPE in fact at least during the first few years kids were always trying to get adults to buy them smokes, seems they treated the pictures like collector cards. i have this one will you trade for that one.
also still see kids as young as 10 hiding around "sneaking a butt" so they haven't done anything at all. thing that is always forgotten is that kids and teens don't think they will ever die. also kids tend to like "gross" things, especially dead animals, they are FASCINATED by it. so i suspect if anything pictures like that just ENCOURAGE them.

as for us stodgy adults, well we ARE ADDICTED. a picture won't do ANYTHING. it's actually scary what you are willing to do to get a butt, if you are say broke. raiding ashtrays, wandering the streets picking up butts ect. once hooked you can't scare people off them. sorry that's just the way it is.even a good friend suffering lung cancer had to be pretty much locked up to keep her from smoking, we are talking about someone who could hardly even breath. still think a lot of people will quit just because they put a scary picture on it.

i can't even count the number of failed attempts i have had TRYING to quit. figure i've been trying for about 20 years now. longest i've ever made it was 2 or 3 weeks, before i cave in. i've had close friends who have made it over 5 YEARS before they finally cave in and light up. thing is YOU NEVER STOP CRAVING THEM. my friend's mother quit over 50 YEARS ago she admitted that there are still times it's almost impossible to stop from finding a smoke and lighting up, even when haven't been around any smokers.

the ONLY way to stop cigarettes would be to just say anyone currently under the age of 12 CAN NEVER buy smokes. and even then they would most likely still smoke in fact they are likely to be even worse, ever notice how kids and teens always do what they are prohibited from doing? it's a coolness factor i think, if not allowed obviously MUST be cool. reason i started smoking was just TRYING to follow teachers advice, from several teachers for making friends.

as for banning cigarettes outright,
you would see all hell break loose as thousands suffering withdrawal go berserk. likely even killing over a butt. not to mention the "grow ops" that would spring up. adding even more to the pockets of criminal enterprise, just as drugs do know. only way to stop it is to keep new people from starting (good luck with that). and let it die out.

smokers KNOW that smoking is bad for them, smokers are generally ALWAYS trying to quit. IT DOSN'T MATTER WE'RE HOOKED.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Cigs are bad news. I smoked for 22 years and have quit for three years now.It took 8 months of chewing the gum to kick em.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Honestly, the cold turkey thing is scarier than smoking. Letting that od friend go is terrifying but... I am determined to do this so I'll ride more day and *snip*.

S&F

Best of luck to all who are quiting. I never smoked so I do not have that problem, how ever I quit eatting sugar/carbs about a year ago... ARRGH I want a CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM SUNDAE.... sniff sniff

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Not everyone will always have long term cravings. They go away eventually for a lot of people. I had many dreams that were so realistic that I would wake up with a huge guilt complex and despite the fact that I knew that I had dreamed it, I had to convince myself that I hadn't actually smoked. Eventually it went away. The smell of cigarette smoke makes me ill now. Zero cravings for years. I felt/feel so much better, I feel like a moron for ever touching those nasty things. These clever people made me think cigarettes were cool when I was a teen, so I paid them to addict me/kill me/cause me health problems. Dumbest f'ing BS ever. I know several older women right now who are on oxygen and still smoking, and they have that noone-will-ever-take-my-cigarettes-away attitude going on. It's sad really.

A buddy of mine who also quit for good used hypnosis to quit his habit. No clue what it cost him.

Willpower, you either have it or you don't, I guess.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
telling people that smoke, that cigarettes are bad for them,.. well,,is like clapping with one hand.
If someone is dumb enough to smoke in the first place,. then why bother to interrupt their demise.
With the endless amount of information that is out there about cancers and their causes..it is just silly
to bother to go through the effort to warn someone about it. Did you ever tell someone that smoking
is bad for their health? I will bet you dont get a suprised look like they didnt know.. or say to you, Oh My God,
Are you serious?.. No today from most people, when you inform them of a hazard, you most likely will hear,
Yeah, Gotta die from something..
or they will try to debate you,. which is of course back to clapping with one hand..
Most people are idiots and dont really care about health.
and then expect the best treatment when they get ill,.

edit on 19-7-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
then expect the best treatment when they get ill,.

Danged fools if they ive in the US and expect the best treatment, smokers or not. Likely if you are a smoker the doctor will tell you your problem is smoking-related. Did for me and it wasn't, nothing of the kind. Found a doctor that would treat the actual problem. All better now.

Anyone with a pension or social security ahead is not desired to live. Be a patriot, do your country a favor and die. I did better, draw my pension and spend it in another country, where I get decent medical care. Insurance is a racket. See if I'm right, might surprise you.

Cigarettes and alcohol are encouraged, for a reason. Cannabis is not, for a reason. Beneficial, anti-carcinogenic.

I have medical insurance, BTW. Don't use it, don't need it, but required to have it.

edit on 20-7-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Whats funny to me is that the Most inconciderate Non smokers are X-smokers .

The ones that complain the most about smokers ,, well, they used to be smokers !

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well DAMN,, Im tryin folks,, ive smoked a little more today than yesterday ... and moked a little more yesterday than I did the previous day, But im tryin !!!!!!!!!

I just need to try harder,, !

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hbarker
Well DAMN,, Im tryin folks,, ive smoked a little more today than yesterday ... and moked a little more yesterday than I did the previous day, But im tryin !!!!!!!!!

I just need to try harder,, !

I'm with ya. Still cut to 75% and doing ok but that last 25% is the goal.

Hang in there...I've got faith in you!

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I swear Jude, you're a buzzkill.

I was about to go outside for my morning smoke when I saw this thread. Now my stomach's turning green

Seriously though, that's a good list of reasons you put together for kicking the habit. That list of ingredients..........THAT was the scary part to me.

I'm one of those, like you who REALLY want to quit. I told myself when I moved out of where I was it would be easier because I would be on my own and have more peace of mind, and on some days it is. I can wake up and get right to work on the computer and not go outside for an hour. You're a smoker, you know how important that morning cigarette is.

Other days just don't seem to work out that way. Any suggestions, from anyone, that could help out would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I work at a place where cigarettes are sold and that makes it a bit harder. And no, finding another job isn't an option.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by jude11

I swear Jude, you're a buzzkill.

I was about to go outside for my morning smoke when I saw this thread. Now my stomach's turning green

Seriously though, that's a good list of reasons you put together for kicking the habit. That list of ingredients..........THAT was the scary part to me.

I'm one of those, like you who REALLY want to quit. I told myself when I moved out of where I was it would be easier because I would be on my own and have more peace of mind, and on some days it is. I can wake up and get right to work on the computer and not go outside for an hour. You're a smoker, you know how important that morning cigarette is.

Other days just don't seem to work out that way. Any suggestions, from anyone, that could help out would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I work at a place where cigarettes are sold and that makes it a bit harder. And no, finding another job isn't an option.

Try electronic cigarettes. I used them to quit. Been over two years now. Invest in a good one as that will make all the difference. Doesn't take long until the real cigarettes start to taste/smell nasty and you actually prefer the electronic cigarette.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

That sounds good. I did a lot of write ups on those a while back and have since forgot about them. Water vapor HAS to be better for you than 600 additives.

Thank you.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join