It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

{VIDEO} SEE how the people react when someone a homeless man lays injured on the sidewalk.{MUST WATC

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is not surprising, what was surprising was people helping within minutes instead of more in some cases

Remember one thing, we are seeing this and commenting after seeing other people's behavior while we are not in that situation, so we feel zero inconvenience, i'm just being honest.
I would do something, but I think it's necessary to throw that out there.

Also with homeless people it's difficult, alot of them drop because of alcohol, something that they chose to consume.

I myself would have helped, but i'm just saying.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The fact is there are so many variables to these situations that people aren't aware of. I've seen this program before, and it drives me nuts. The manipulation done with the viewers is incredible. Its pumping more fear and lack of faith of our fellow man. I myself, in real life, have witnessed total strangers running to the aid of less fortunate individuals with no hesitation. (multiple times mind you)

Lets face it though,the women who was nicely dressed, passed out on the sidewalk is less of a threat than a bum who is holding a beer can and passed out. Like it or not, its the reality of the situation. Now with that being said, in this situation, a simple phone call for help at a safe distance should have been done. This would eliminate the heroic mindset that all too often backfires and instead of having one person in danger, it puts multiple people.

I've always had the belief that people wish to do good, and to help one another. Unfortunately, our hearts are strong but our minds are weak, thus leaving us with good intentions/thoughts but lacking good actions. We live in a society in which fear is constantly pumped down our throats. So when a situation arises that slightly resembles something we have once heard of or encountered, our automatic response is to flee the situation (sometimes).

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownPhilosopher

What do you make of this video then?

Notice how people take pictures of him and another group of people pushes him over to expose the pool of blood he is lying in and then walks away. He lays dying for over one hour before he finally receives help.

video description: A homeless man who was stabbed when he rushed to assist a woman being attacked on a New York City street died on the sidewalk as pedestrians strolled by, apparently unaware or uncaring that he needed help. (April 25)

This is American sexism, make no mistake about it. Men are dogs.
edit on 6-6-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

It proves my point about the heroics issue I brought up. Granted, don't get me wrong, I say in general people are decent. Not all. Its unfortunate what happened to him but for every one video that shows individuals being cowardly and callous, there is one that shows people taking action and helping someone. Its the nature of the dualistic world we live in.

I guess I am missing your point by posting the video? Are you implying that people in general are not intrinsically good?

If it is, my argument is that people are for the most part decent human beings, though fear may overshadow their want to help. The whole intrinsic good or bad dichotomy is one that cant be answered with black and white mindsets. Lots of gray area.

I apologize if my original post wasn't clear, I am not totally investing all my time into this topic at the time so my posts may be a little distorted.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Homeless people can carry diseases and I do not have a cell phone. This would stress me out. I'd go find a cop at the very least.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
reply to post by UnknownPhilosopher

This is American sexism, make no mistake about it. Men are dogs.
edit on 6-6-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

Thats an unfair assumption. Your taking a few videos and blanketing an entire gender.

I am a man and I certainly wouldn't treat this individual the way that they did. I have two brothers, a father, two grandfathers, many uncles, many cousins, many male friends, and I could assure you they wouldn't of treated this individual the way those individuals did in the video. Not all men are dogs. You bet some are, but not all.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It is unfortunate how the masses have become immune to pain of others. I feel these shows need to stop however. There are very sick individuals out there that will not react well to some of the situations these shows put people. Im sure it will take a unfortunate actor being killed by some vigilante thinking he is helping to stop these undercover shock shows. How horrible is it that this show is making money on showing how horrible people are instead of maybe I don't know actually helping someone or teaching others to help. This show mirrors humanities bad side to you but gives you no way to help people or better yourself, just comercials for products to buy.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

I already had a discussion some time ago on ATS about this particular phenomenon and it is called

The bystander effect or Genovese syndrome

The bystander effect or Genovese syndrome is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases where individuals do not offer any means of help in an emergency situation to the victim when other people are present

I had to point it out in that thread that this is normal human behavior and it wasn't received very well. I'm always fascinated by the people who shout the loudest that they would not have been standing there but they would have helped etc....

Peace

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Benevolant humans are rare.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Hell, I would have put the poor guy in my own car and driven him to the hospital.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Once when I was walking to the store I saw an older man pretty much lying in a muddy driveway, obviously struggling to get up. He would prob himself on his elbow and try to push off the ground to get up, but failed each and every time. Concern for him did wash over me, yet I hesitated to help him. I looked behind me hoping someone in the parking lot of the store was aware of this feeble man and were on their way to help him so I didn't have to. It wasn't because I didn't care for his wellbeing, I was just a little scared and certain that there was no way I could help him up because he was much bigger and heavier than me. But no one else took notice. He finally called out to me for help. He sounded so sad and desperate that I could not NOT help him. There was a struggle to get him up and eventually a cop came by and assisted me with him.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

This is not just a problem in the states, I have experienced this first hand in the UK and I would guess it happens everywhere too.

I came across a man lying on a main road a while back, on the surface it appeared that he was too drunk to stand up, there was a large group of people standing near this person, laughing and judging the man. I walked over and put the guy in a recovery position, it turned out he was pretty old and had fallen on his face by accident. He was covered in blood and was unconscious.

I called an ambulance and the whole time the group watching got bigger but not one person said anything or helped, the spectators were a variety of ages too, I can understand if it was just a bunch of kids but grown adults should know better than to presume things. Even if the guy was severely drunk, he would still need help if he has fallen on his face.

Sometimes you might think that you are peeing in the wind when it comes to things like this but a lot of the time if you do not step up and help another person, there really is not anyone else who will.

edit on 7-6-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus

If I asked someone to call 911 (to save someones life) and they kept on walking I would lay em out
9 times out of 10, if you help someone in need, you'll end up regretting it.
maybe i'll be one of those jerks who walks on by.

like i said..........people who think like that disgust me....and you are one among them i believe...i cant change the way you think..so im guessing if you lay on the ground unable to get up you wouldn't want others to help you ?
edit on 7-6-2011 by Noobastronomer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
that linda hamilton almost made me cry , actually my eyes leaked a little , she really was like an angel , god bless her.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Dr UAE because: error

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

This video also shows how heartless many people are.
Yeah...it didn't take me too long on this planet to realize humans are complete hypocritical scum. I'm ashamed to even be a human to be honest. I hate to associate myself with such a pathetic race. People in the US are so memorized by the "glossy and glamorous" BS fed to you daily that you wont even acknowledge people who don't have money and so called "status". It's making people so cold and uncaring, the understanding and empathy is being drained from people. And everyone is just going along with it like some popular new fad, a herd mentality, a follow the crowd like a sheep scenario. It's f'ing repulsive and infuriates the very core of my being, what this is doing to humanity. Pop quiz question - what percentage of homeless men are military vets? Look it up!

edit on 7-6-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

like i said..........people who think like that disgust me....and you are one among them i believe...i cant change the way you think..so im guessing if you lay on the ground unable to get up you wouldn't want others to help you ?
Yep, since he wouldn't help others, I doubt he expects others to help him. Screaming in agony, grasping out for help in utter desperation, people walking by like he didn't exist...maybe then he would see how truly disturbing the reality of that situation is.

On another note, there is an anime called "Gantz", for anyone interested, and it is very relevant to this topic. The first episode involves a homeless man who falls onto a railway, and everyone just stands around whilst he screams for help. Eventually, one brave young man feels so repulsed by everyone's non-willingness to help, he hurls himself down onto the tracks in an effort to save the man, but ends up being killed by a train (he does save the man though).

edit on 7-6-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
Homeless people can carry diseases

From experience?

or are you just being stupid?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

It really makes no sense to be disgusted by humans behaving this way because chances are pretty big each and every one of us would behave in a similar fashion. Sure when confronted with a situation like this from the comfort of your chair it's easy to say what the right action would have been but with the bystander effect you get things like "diffusion of responsibility" and "behaving in correct and socially acceptable ways". To a certain extend, for most, it literally is an inability react.

Peace
edit on 7-6-2011 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This is just appalling to me. I understand we are judged by our apperance but this goes too far. Yes I would stop to help.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Here is a nice example of what I'm talking about....

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join